Casual Fan vs. Bandwagon Jumper

Texsox

I've always believe that both teams had about the same base of knowledgable fans, and that the Cubs got 75% of the casual fan and 90% of the "out of town fan". Now is the chance to take the town from the Cubs and some Sox fans are trying to chase away the casual fan.

We should differentiate the casual fan who attends a couple games a summer, from a true bandwagon jumper who tries to act like he's been a fan forever, those guys annoy me. The guys who try and quote Sox history, wrap themselves up in Sox swag. Those guys I have no time for. But Bernie and Betty from Schaumburg who decide to take their kids to visit The Cell this summer for their once a year MLB game, instead of Wrigley, I salute and welcome.

I embrace both...

There are always going to be bandwagon jumpers. In fact, if viewed from an economic perspective, Bandwagon jumpers are good. Without the influx of capital generated as a result of "bandwagon jumpers", management of any team would have no reason to try and improve.

Every team in every city in every sport has bandwagon jumpers... quit complaining and deal with it.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
I've always believe that both teams had about the same base of knowledgable fans, and that the Cubs got 75% of the casual fan and 90% of the "out of town fan". Now is the chance to take the town from the Cubs and some Sox fans are trying to chase away the casual fan.

We should differentiate the casual fan who attends a couple games a summer, from a true bandwagon jumper who tries to act like he's been a fan forever, those guys annoy me. The guys who try and quote Sox history, wrap themselves up in Sox swag. Those guys I have no time for. But Bernie and Betty from Schaumburg who decide to take their kids to visit The Cell this summer for their once a year MLB game, instead of Wrigley, I salute and welcome.

I agree.

Some people in this board tend to vilify anyone who hasn't gone to every single game their entire adult life. I don't get that. I've been a Sox fan since I was old enough to sit through a game, but I personally don't mind casual fans at all. I love it, in fact. Their presence indicates to me a new level of success for the team.

That said, there are some dishonest folks who try to make themselves look like something or not. Certainly, those are irritating people. But I really don't see or hear from many of these. I see/hear a lot more casual fans.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
That said, there are some dishonest folks who try to make themselves look like something or not.  Certainly, those are irritating people.  But I really don't see or hear from many of these.  I see/hear a lot more casual fans.

Agreed, I can't deal with people who try and push their "Extensive baseball knowledge" on to me.

Around Christmas time I was at the walmart on 75th in Darien walking around with my wife and son, and this fat guy decked out in head to toe sox gear nearing trampled my son so he could get in line at the jewelry section. I guess he was looking that 3 carat ring for the mrs. I remember the moron because last year at about the same time, he shoved his way through a line at the Best Buy over near my house. Decked out in head to toe cubs gear.

Bandwagonners are part of the success story. Everyone wants to be part of a winner. Especially with how bad Chicago sports is overall. Rude people will be rude no matter what team they support. As long as they conduct themselves decent, dont perform any "lets get famous" stunts that get us another spotlight on all the news channels, spend lots of money(so we can afford more FA next year), then I am cool with it.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 09:45 PM)
Around Christmas time I was at the walmart on 75th in Darien walking around with my wife and son, and this fat guy decked out in head to toe sox gear nearing trampled my son so he could get in line at the jewelry section.  I guess he was looking that 3 carat ring for the mrs. I remember the moron because last year at about the same time, he shoved his way through a line at the Best Buy over near my house.  Decked out in head to toe cubs gear.

Bandwagonners are part of the success story.  Everyone wants to be part of a winner.  Especially with how bad Chicago sports is overall.  Rude people will be rude no matter what team they support.  As long as they conduct themselves decent, dont perform any "lets get famous" stunts that get us another spotlight on all the news channels, spend lots of money(so we can afford more FA next year), then I am cool with it.

C'mon, this guy is obviously a die hard "Chicago Fan"

I don't like to really divide who is worthy of being a fan of something or not. How do you judge that? I've seen people try to say the dirtier the hat the more hardcore fan the person is, so what, I have to wear the Sox hat I had when I was 5 years old to prove I'm a real fan? People who like to point out how big of fans they are seem to want to draw attention to themselves and actually take away from the team, like the Cubs fans who wrap themselves in ivy and garbage like that.

A lot of people aren't going to be as passionate about the Sox as many of us are, but that doesn't mean they can't be a fan, and I agree with the original poster, the fanbase should welcome new fans.

Everyone starts off a bandwagon jumper. Whether it's because your parents were fans of that team or the fact that team was a winner when you decided to become a fan of theirs, it's still bandwagoning. I don't mind any fans at all. If a fan doesn't know something, then you just help educate them on it so they could help out other fans.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
Glad you found us  :cheers See here's a new fan who seems like a nice guy . . .  :D

I've been a Whitesox fan since 1980. I came across the board a little before the trade deadline last year because I was interested in seeing what was being said about some of the possible trades. I agree I am a "new" member but I am not a "new" Sox fan.

I can answer some 1980's Sox trivia if that will help prove that I am neither a casual fan nor a bandwagon jumper. :P

I wasn't trying to be a smartass initially but saying your comment was understood and that there really was no response to it.

Edited by heirdog

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 06:33 PM)
I have ZERO problem with bandwagon fans and new fans.  My issue is with the people that will jump off as soon as we lose 4 in a row.  If last year made you a fan, great....but STAY a fan from now on.  There is a difference between new fans and front runners.

Correct.

Everyone starts off a bandwagon jumper. Whether it's because your parents were fans of that team or the fact that team was a winner when you decided to become a fan of theirs, it's still bandwagoning. I don't mind any fans at all. If a fan doesn't know something, then you just help educate them on it so they could help out other fans.

I don't agree with that. I became a Bears fan in 1998 when I got into football, no influence from my parents. They were a sucky team that year. Bulls, meh, I don't know. They won their first title when I was 3, so I don't know if you can consider me a bandwagon fan or not on them. I had no influence from my parents on the Bulls or Bears. They're not into sports.

Edited by Cuck the Fubs

I will embrace any new fan because $$$$$$

I am partial to the casual fan though.....

the bandwagoneers that really get to me are the kids from High school i see when I go home. The ones that I had argued with countless times defending my White Sox only to see them decked out in full black and white. I ask them didn't you used to be a Scrubs fan and always tell me how much the white sox sucked??? and they reply no way I have always liked them........

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 04:44 PM)
Agreed, I can't deal with people who try and push their "Extensive baseball knowledge" on to me.

I couldn't agree more. I have ben a fan my whole life and was so thrilled to see my White Stockings finally break the curse of Shoeless Joe Jackson last year. You know Shoeless Joe got that name because he had to play without shoes after he got caught cheating in the world series back in 1919. Oh, the years of suffering since 1919. It was worse than influenza and polio combined.

Hey, is that Colonel Angus in your Avitar? Nice touch.