Rooting Level For Frank Thomas?

rangercal

How much will you root for The All time greatest in sox history?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. How much will you root for The All time greatest in sox history?

• Fail and retire after this year.
    • succeed against everyone Except The White Sox.
    • Succed Even against the white sox as long as we still win.
    • I will cheer for him against the white sox , even if it means we lose.

I would never root against the sox winning. But, I will root for Frank every at bat even against the Sox. Bottom of the 9th Tie Game, , bases loaded 2 outs, Would probably be the rare circumstance I hope He popped it up. I would probably hope for a inning ending catch at the warning track in that situation. What about everyone else?

It is hard to imagine anyone not rooting for Frank to some degree. He was the face of the organization for a decade and a half.

I just don't think there will be too much to root for this year. I wish him the best, but fear the worst. 52 HRs seems like a long way away. Using his career averages, he would need almost 800 ABs to get 52 HRs and the most ABs he had in one season was 582 (2000). He obviously is nowhere near that form anymore, so if he can get 300 ABs this year (which would seem almost like a miracle), he might be able to put up 20-25 HRs. That would still leave him 27-32 short of 500 and without a contract in 2007 at the age of 39.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 02:28 AM)
It is hard to imagine anyone not rooting for Frank to some degree.  He was the face of the organization for a decade and a half.

I just don't think there will be too much to root for this year.  I wish him the best, but fear the worst.  52 HRs seems like a long way away.  Using his career averages, he would need almost 800 ABs to get 52 HRs and the most ABs he had in one season was 582 (2000).    He obviously is nowhere near that form anymore, so if he can get 300 ABs this year (which would seem almost like a miracle), he might be able to put up 20-25 HRs.  That would still leave him 27-32 short of 500 and without a contract in 2007 at the age of 39.

And that's with home games in what used to called The Coliseum. That's not the Cell he'll be trying to jack them out of.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 03:31 AM)
And that's with home games in what used to called The Coliseum.  That's not the Cell he'll be trying to jack them out of.

Yeah, I didn't even take that into consideration. Adding that into the equation, and the fact that he hits one about every 15 AB's, does he even get to 20 HR's?

In 2005, he hit 12 in 105 ABs, a much higher rate than his career average, but he hit 9 of those at home and only 3 away.

Career Stats in OAK - 16 HR, 253 ABs.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 04:28 AM)
I wouldn't doubt Frank's ability to hit homers at the Coliseum.  Did everyone forget July 3rd against the A's last season?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...d=cws&ym=200507

July 3: CWS @ OAK

• Thomas' HR:  56K | 350K

He destroyed Zito.

Yeah, he was 1-4, with a K and 3 LOB as well. Ozuna on 3rd with 1 out, Frank strikeouts. Ozuna on 1st, Crede on 3rd with 2 outs, Frank flies out.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 03:28 AM)
I wouldn't doubt Frank's ability to hit homers at the Coliseum.  Did everyone forget July 3rd against the A's last season?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...d=cws&ym=200507

July 3: CWS @ OAK

• Thomas' HR:  56K | 350K

He destroyed Zito.

No one is saying Frank is incapable of hitting HRs in Oakland. It's just that a lot of that leave the Cell are going to be long flyouts in Oakland.

i will root for frank in any situation. imo, he is one of the top players (if not the top player) in sox history, and i really want to see him get 500 homers and seal his spot in the hall.

i obviously will not root for him in key situations against the sox, but when the sox are up 10-0 on the a's i'll be rooting for him to hit a solo homer.

Edited by thedoctor

I'll obviously root for the White Sox to win aswell. But seeing Frank continue his quest for the Hall of Fame and for 500 homers is going to be fun to watch. I just have to root for him even after his comments the other day. But he's still frustrated about what all went on. Good luck to him and hopefully he'll hit 500 homers and then go to the Hall of Fame with a White Sox cap on.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
6 of you really need to check your alliance to the Sox.

Would you honestly root for Frank Thomas if he was the one to decide it we were to get into the playoffs or win the pennant?

:headshake

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Might as well be an Oakland A's fan now. My brother used to go team to team when Herschel Walker was playing football, and it just annoyed me.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
what if that wasn't the case?

Who gives a s***?

Read the poll question again. I don't consider anyone a Sox fan if they are rooting against the team. It's similar to when Anthrax was rooting against the Sox because he thought KW would get fired.

:headshake

As they say, it's all about the name on the front of the uniform and not the name on the back of it. I'll root for Frank Thomas when he's playing Minnesota, Detroit, Cleveland and Kansas City. I'll root against him when he's playing against the Sox. The rest of the time, I wish him well but I no rooting interest whatsoever.