A Philly-Mets fight for Contreras?

beck72

QUOTE(3E8 @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 08:16 PM)
I agree with this guy.  The combination of Everett, Thomas, and Rowand drove in 25% of our runs last season.  One quarter of a run total that was in the bottom-half of the AL from that group!  A lower run total this year is not out of the question in my opinion.  We all know how I feel about Thome.  Anderson will be below average offensively but we can't expect much there, and Crede batting behind him (not a fan) will hurt us some.  Konerko's probably more likely to regress from last season's totals.  I like Uribe as much as anyone here, but a .300 OBP from the 2-hole won't cut it.  I'd consider him the most likely candidate for improvement however.

There are a couple of things worth noting here. First...Yes Everett drove in a lot of runs, but he was also in the best RBI spot in our lineup...immediately behind Iguchi and Pods, which meant he was up all the bloody time with RISP. He was in a spot where he should have drove in a ton of runs.

But, let's look at the other side of that token. Thomas, Rowand, and Everett combined only scored 154 runs. That is basically only 20% of our total runs scored last year. Everett in particular only scored 58, and that was hitting directly in front of our best hitter by a long shot. If healthy, over the last 9 years, aside from 2005, Jim Thome has averaged 103 runs scored, and that's without a bopper like Konerko hitting behind him much of the time. That's more than Everett and Thomas combined last year by 26 runs. That's a lot, especially if he winds up hitting in front of PK.

I just keep looking at this offense and really liking what I see. Up and down the list. We've improved the bench. We've added a left handed bat, so that Ozzie can't try his failed All-Righty Santana lineup. And we've got a bunch of people who simply cannot do worse than they did last year.

AJ - last year was his worst season in the big leagues. Crede - last season was a massive disappointment if you look at his monthly numbers. Uribe was massively down last year. Iguchi took several months to adapt to the league, and his power took that long to show up as well. Konerko struggled mightily in the first 2 months. Carl Everett was simply a fill-in in the DH spot. Rowand was a gigantic disappointment. Podsednik was unable to steal the last 2 months of the year.

The only guy in that lineup who I would say "I don't hope he'll do any better than last year, I just hope he'll repeat his numbers" is Dye. That's it, and that's given Dye's dead-like start to the year.

Konerko hit .315 after June 1, which had he done that the first 2 months of the season as well would have put him very very high on the MVP list.

Crede was very good for everything but 2 months of the year, 1 of which was injury plagued. He had the highest OPS in the AL for the month of September when he had his swing working.

Podsednik did great in hitting .290, he just needs to avoid long-term nagging injuries that slow him down. He should have swiped 80+ bases last year with the tear he was on.

Pierzynski suddenly dropped form a .300 hitter to a .250 hitter. Even a Marginal improvement will push him back to .275-.280. No one hit more line drives right at people last year than he did. The numbers say it just has to even out for him.

Anderson may well struggle, but it's almost impossible for him to put up worse numbers than Rowand did last year, given how bad Rowand actually did. On the other hand, Anderson still has a much higher upside, and it's entirely possible that having faced big league pitching and ran with the team through the entire playoffs last year, he'll come in more ready to play than anyone thinks next year.

Uribe still needs to figure out a way to lay off some pitches. Hopefully hitting behind Podsednik and in front of Thome will help, since he'll get a ton more fastballs (do you really want to face Thome with 1st and 3rd?). All he needs is a little bit of patience and a willingness to hit the ball to the RHS.

If Jim Thome is healthy...he will put up massively higher numbers than Everett. And if Thome gets hurt...for a DH, Everett's numbers last year were really so low that a trade for a career AAA guy may very well get enough to replace him. Hell Borchard could almost replace him with those numbers. Everett just wasn't that good at all last year, no matter what %age of our runs he knocked in. All he had to do was put the bat on the ball to knock Podsednik in a lot of times. And by having Everett getting on base so few times last year, Konerko's RBI numbers really were knocked down.

On top of that, the bench is massively upgraded, so hopefully we won't see any more .218 hitting guys starting games as our leadoff hitter very often, and that's worth probably 10-20 runs right there.

This team will be significantly better with the bats next year. Count on it. It just can't get any worse. And if everything were to go right, they can seriously challenge for the best offense in the league.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 12:07 AM)
It's only interesting because some guy on mlbtraderumors posted some BS rumor that a newspaper (real journalistic quality there) picked up and ran a story on it. ANd KW talking to Philly nine days ago doesn't make it any more interesting because like I say, I bet big money that he has talked to qutie a few teams about Contreras and a few other of our players. He's always looking and willing to listen.

A Timeline: http://www.southsidesox.com/story/2006/2/4/4929/61034

The whole thing could be based off me throwing everything and the kitchen sink at the wall back in December.

They've been rumored to be shopping Abreu. I don't know why. They like to boo him there. He's Venezuelan, so who knows. This deal would take both Jermaine Dye and Garland[insert Contreras now that Garland has signed], though it should net a prospect in return.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 05:58 AM)
I'd imagine that KW has talked to almost every team in baseball the last 8-9 days.

PS. KW is not trading Contreras.

Why would KW talk to every team in baseball in the last 8-9 days if Contreras wasn't on the block? Who else would be talked about in a trade?

It is pretty clear that KW talked to Philly. The who and what is unclear. But the Phils want to get rid of Abreu's contract, and do need a very good SP and a cheap replacement for Abreu. And they would probably do a Dye and Jose for Abreu and Gavin Floyd right now. The sox probably not, unless they could see Floyd pitch and be sure he could help them this yr.

From the sounds of it, names were talked about. I could see this scenario: The Sox make sure all their arms are healthy in ST. They get a chance to scout a guy like Floyd and make sure he's more the pitcher like prior to 2005 and not the one with a 6+ ERA in AAA. Or they could look at another arm almost ready for the bigs. If the sox staff is healthy, and a Philly prospect looks good, a deal could then be made.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 05:04 AM)
Why would KW talk to every team in baseball in the last 8-9 days if Contreras wasn't on the block? Who else would be talked about in a trade?

It is pretty clear that KW talked to Philly. The who and what is unclear. But the Phils want to get rid of Abreu's contract, and do need a very good SP and a cheap replacement for Abreu. And they would probably do a Dye and Jose for Abreu and Gavin Floyd right now. The sox probably not, unless they could see Floyd pitch and be sure he could help them this yr.

From the sounds of it, names were talked about. I could see this scenario: The Sox make sure all their arms are healthy in ST. They get a chance to scout a guy like Floyd and make sure he's more the pitcher like prior to 2005 and not the one with a 6+ ERA in AAA. Or they could look at another arm almost ready for the bigs. If the sox staff is healthy, and a Philly prospect looks good, a deal could then be made.

I have no doubt Philly would do that deal. Especially if GIllick wnats to try and win this year. I also have no doubt that KW wouldn't.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
I have no doubt Philly would do that deal. Especially if GIllick wnats to try and win this year. I also have no doubt that KW wouldn't.

Am I the only one who thinks that the White Sox would be the team who's easily getting the best end of this deal? Personally, I don't think there's a chance in hell that Philly will make this deal.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 04:42 AM)
A Timeline: http://www.southsidesox.com/story/2006/2/4/4929/61034

The whole thing could be based off me throwing everything and the kitchen sink at the wall back in December.

Yes, I am sure it has been out there for awhile and I am sure that KW has talked to the PHils about an Abreu for Contreras type deal, I am also sure that KW laughed in GIllick's face when he suggested Dye and JC for Floyd and Abreu. That was a good call on a similar trade getting out there in the rumor mill eventually, btw.

I have no doubt that KW has shopped JC. I also have no doubt that KW won't trade him unless he is ripping somebody off. The reason? He doesn't NEED to trade him, unless we get a really good pitcher that can make an immediate impact this year. We have five starters locked up next year no matter what, and we'll have an extra 6-8 mil to get whatever else we need next year if he doesn't come back. Plus, I know KW will do anything to get better for now first, AND the future, but I think even he would be worried about taking 2 people off of our roster who were HUGE contributors for the world series team. Now if they Phils had an awesome ptiching prospect, a "can't miss" of sorts, KW might give up JC and Dye for Abreu and that guy. As it is though, there is just too wide a gap from JC and anybody on the Phils staff that Gillick would (I think) be willing to give up).

I just don't see KW giving up JC unless he robs somebody. His roster is set. Unless he can get significantly better, there is no need.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 10:05 AM)
Am I the only one who thinks that the White Sox would be the team who's easily getting the best end of this deal?  Personally, I don't think there's a chance in hell that Philly will make this deal.

Oh no, I am sure there are others on this site that would agree with you.

I sure as hell don't though. You'd be hurting our bullpen, hurting our starting staff a bunch (especially if somebody sucks (Vazquez) or gets hurt), while improving our lineup, but not nearly as much as you are hurting the entire pitching staff. Dye isn't great, but he sure as hell isn't all that bad. Led RFs in HR.

I guess people want the superstar hitter though, the kind of player that didn't win anything from 01-04.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 10:12 AM)
KW might not need to trade Contreras, but he's made it pretty obvious that if a player isn't interested in signing an extension with the White Sox, then he's going to do his best to get value for that player before they leave via free agency.

He didn't do that for Konerko. And I don't think he was any less interested than Contreras. Contreras just wants to get paid what he's worth, just like Paulie, and KW probably won't offer up to that until after the season because he already has at least 5 locked up.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
He didn't do that for Konerko. And I don't think he was any less interested than Contreras. Contreras just wants to get paid what he's worth, just like Paulie, and KW probably won't offer up to that until after the season because he already has at least 5 locked up.

If Contreras has a good, not even great season, there's no chance the Sox are going to be able to bring him back. When you also consider that we don't get any draft picks if he leaves, then that adds to the possibility that Contreras might get dealt in the next month. And I also think I'm going to puke the next time someone suggests we'll trade him at the deadline. The only way that happens is if the Sox are 20 games out of the standings (even then, I don't think KW/Ozzie would give up).

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)

Abreu and Floyd for Jose and Dye seems like a starting point for a deal. How much it improves [or is improved upon by other teams] is the question in order for the sox to swing a deal.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 10:18 AM)
If Contreras has a good, not even great season, there's no chance the Sox are going to be able to bring him back.  When you also consider that we don't get any draft picks if he leaves, then that adds to the possibility that Contreras might get dealt in the next month.  And I also think I'm going to puke the next time someone suggests we'll trade him at the deadline.  The only way that happens is if the Sox are 20 games out of the standings (even then, I don't think KW/Ozzie would give up).

I don't think we'll trade him in at the deadline (unless we are WAY (15+ games) out of it from injuries or general suckiness or whatever), and I dont' think we'll trade him in the next month.

I also think I'll puke at something as well. I'll puke the next times somebody says that we don't get anything back if we don't trade JC now. We get a significantly increased chance to win the World Series this year, which is what it is all about. I love BMac and think he will do great in the rotation one day, and also think he is critical to the bullpen next year. If one of the big three falter, or somebody gets hurt, or Hermy can't pitch, I think BMac could dominate in the bullpen until next year. He might not be that great, but at least he's a backup plan. JC is the number 2 pitcher on our team, and taking him off significantly lessens our chance to win the WS this year, so thats what we get for having on the team this year. We'll also get exclusive negotiation rights at the end of next year, and if we can't sign him, we have 6+ mil to go get whatever we need for next year.

We'll see in the next month and a half though. I have big time trust that KW will make the right decision though.

Trust me, I don't want the Sox to have the philosophy that if a player's not going to re-sign, then they need to get rid of them. I'd much rather they just go for it all this season again, and if Contreras leaves after this year, then McCarthy's ready to start next season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
Am I the only one who thinks that the White Sox would be the team who's easily getting the best end of this deal?  Personally, I don't think there's a chance in hell that Philly will make this deal.

I guess it depends on the market for a SP like Contreras. With Weaver having like 8 teams fighting for him, the sox could do better than this deal with Philly.

Philly would get out from under Abreu's contract and have a very capable RFer in Dye under contract for 2 yrs [the 07 option is pretty reasonable IIRC]. They also would have money in 07 and inside track to sign Jose to a good deal.

With Abreu having a no-trade clause, their options are limited in where and when they can deal him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 10:31 AM)
Trust me, I don't want the Sox to have the philosophy that if a player's not going to re-sign, then they need to get rid of them.  I'd much rather they just go for it all this season again, and if Contreras leaves after this year, then McCarthy's ready to start next season.

Exactly. And we'll have a good rotation, a good lineup and money to get spend on the bullpen. We just don't NEED Abreu. We don't need to make a trade for the sake of it. Plus a trade like that is turning us back closer to a 2001-2004 team to me. Something we don't need to do. Having an excess of pitching will give us an INCREDIBLE advantage this year, because SOMEBODY is going to go on the DL at somepoint this season, and if we didn't get something great back for Contreras, we could really be screwed in the rotation and bullpen if we traded JC.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)

There is a difference PK wanted to resign with us but KW is the one who put it off until the end of the season.... At least thats how I remember it.

Oh no, I am sure there are others on this site that would agree with you.

I sure as hell don't though. You'd be hurting our bullpen, hurting our starting staff a bunch (especially if somebody sucks (Vazquez) or gets hurt), while improving our lineup, but not nearly as much as you are hurting the entire pitching staff. Dye isn't great, but he sure as hell isn't all that bad. Led RFs in HR.

I guess people want the superstar hitter though, the kind of player that didn't win anything from 01-04.

Dye didn't lead all right fielders in homeruns last season. Both Sheffield (34 HR's) and Vlad (32 HR's) were ahead of him.

And how is it a bad thing to have too many great hitters on your team? If those 2001-2004 Sox teams had a rotation of Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, Vazquez, and McCarthy with a strong bullpen and guys like Frank and Magglio had stayed healthy, they probably could have won the division every year. The reason those teams lost isn't because they had too many superstar hitters. It's mostly because they had mediocre starting rotations and/or putrid bullpens. Defense is important but so is having a good #4 and #5 starter and a shutdown bullpen. Once again, having too many great hitters is never a bad thing. Afterall, didn't KW have a trade all set to acquire Griffey at the deadline last season? If adding superstar hitters is a bad thing, why did KW try to acquire Griffey last year and why did he add Thome this offseason?

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 03:19 AM)
There are a couple of things worth noting here.  First...Yes Everett drove in a lot of runs, but he was also in the best RBI spot in our lineup...immediately behind Iguchi and Pods, which meant he was up all the bloody time with RISP.  He was in a spot where he should have drove in a ton of runs. 

But, let's look at the other side of that token.  Thomas, Rowand, and Everett combined only scored 154 runs.  That is basically only 20% of our total runs scored last year.  Everett in particular only scored 58, and that was hitting directly in front of our best hitter by a long shot.  If healthy, over the last 9 years, aside from 2005, Jim Thome has averaged 103 runs scored, and that's without a bopper like Konerko hitting behind him much of the time.  That's more than Everett and Thomas combined last year by 26 runs.  That's a lot, especially if he winds up hitting in front of PK.

I just keep looking at this offense and really liking what I see.  Up and down the list.  We've improved the bench.  We've added a left handed bat, so that Ozzie can't try his failed All-Righty Santana lineup.  And we've got a bunch of people who simply cannot do worse than they did last year.

AJ - last year was his worst season in the big leagues.  Crede - last season was a massive disappointment if you look at his monthly numbers.  Uribe was massively down last year.  Iguchi took several months to adapt to the league, and his power took that long to show up as well.  Konerko struggled mightily in the first 2 months.  Carl Everett was simply a fill-in in the DH spot.  Rowand was a gigantic disappointment.  Podsednik was unable to steal the last 2 months of the year.

The only guy in that lineup who I would say "I don't hope he'll do any better than last year, I just hope he'll repeat his numbers" is Dye.  That's it, and that's given Dye's dead-like start to the year. 

Konerko hit .315 after June 1, which had he done that the first 2 months of the season as well would have put him very very high on the MVP list.

Crede was very good for everything but 2 months of the year, 1 of which was injury plagued.  He had the highest OPS in the AL for the month of September when he had his swing working.

Podsednik did great in hitting .290, he just needs to avoid long-term nagging injuries that slow him down.  He should have swiped 80+ bases last year with the tear he was on.

Pierzynski suddenly dropped form a .300 hitter to a .250 hitter.  Even a Marginal improvement will push him back to .275-.280.  No one hit more line drives right at people last year than he did.  The numbers say it just has to even out for him.

Anderson may well struggle, but it's almost impossible for him to put up worse numbers than Rowand did last year, given how bad Rowand actually did.  On the other hand, Anderson still has a much higher upside, and it's entirely possible that having faced big league pitching and ran with the team through the entire playoffs last year, he'll come in more ready to play than anyone thinks next year.

Uribe still needs to figure out a way to lay off some pitches.  Hopefully hitting behind Podsednik and in front of Thome will help, since he'll get a ton more fastballs (do you really want to face Thome with 1st and 3rd?).  All he needs is a little bit of patience and a willingness to hit the ball to the RHS.

If Jim Thome is healthy...he will put up massively higher numbers than Everett.  And if Thome gets hurt...for a DH, Everett's numbers last year were really so low that a trade for a career AAA guy may very well get enough to replace him.  Hell Borchard could almost replace him with those numbers.  Everett just wasn't that good at all last year, no matter what %age of our runs he knocked in.  All he had to do was put the bat on the ball to knock Podsednik in a lot of times.  And by having Everett getting on base so few times last year, Konerko's RBI numbers really were knocked down.

On top of that, the bench is massively upgraded, so hopefully we won't see any more  .218 hitting guys starting games as our leadoff hitter very often, and that's worth probably 10-20 runs right there.

This team will be significantly better with the bats next year.  Count on it.  It just can't get any worse.  And if everything were to go right, they can seriously challenge for the best offense in the league.

Wow. You wrote quite a bit there. Thanks for addressing my comments. I'd like to respond to some of your thoughts.

Yes Everett drove in a lot of runs, but he was also in the best RBI spot in our lineup...immediately behind Iguchi and Pods, which meant he was up all the bloody time with RISP.  He was in a spot where he should have drove in a ton of runs.

It doesn't matter that he was in the best RBI spot. What matters is that him and Frank knocked in over 110 RBI's from that spot which would be a challenging task for Thome even if he could play a full season in perfect health. And a lot of people rag on Everett, but he had the best BA with RISP on our team. Rowand came in second.

But, let's look at the other side of that token.  Thomas, Rowand, and Everett combined only scored 154 runs.  That is basically only 20% of our total runs scored last year.  Everett in particular only scored 58, and that was hitting directly in front of our best hitter by a long shot.  If healthy, over the last 9 years, aside from 2005, Jim Thome has averaged 103 runs scored, and that's without a bopper like Konerko hitting behind him much of the time.  That's more than Everett and Thomas combined last year by 26 runs.  That's a lot, especially if he winds up hitting in front of PK.

Ok, if Thome stays healthy and plays a full season putting up over 100 runs that'd be great, we still won't get much more than 50 out of Anderson. Some of our hitters changing slots will have an effect, but you can't really predict how that will go. Don't think you can call this a significant upgrade.

AJ - last year was his worst season in the big leagues.

No argument from me here. He should be better.

Crede - last season was a massive disappointment if you look at his monthly numbers.

It's fair to say that certain months were massively dissapointing, but no way would I say that about his whole season. He was right at career averages in BA and OBP, going over average with SLG, all while juggling multiple injuries. He is a prime candidate for improvement if the back pain can be controlled. Here's the thing though: Joe was 3rd on the team in BA with RISP, as well as 3rd in HR/AB (not counting Frank). With Ozzie's new lineup, he's now guaranteed the fewest AB's out of any position player. I don't agree with the decision. He's more valuable higher up in the order.

The only guy in that lineup who I would say "I don't hope he'll do any better than last year, I just hope he'll repeat his numbers" is Dye.  That's it, and that's given Dye's dead-like start to the year.

What? I hope he does better. Not likely, since last year was his best year not playing in KC. He'll probably put up similar numbers this year. Maybe a little better even, I know he had a hernia, not sure if he was dealing with it during the season.

Rowand was a gigantic disappointment.

Anderson may well struggle, but it's almost impossible for him to put up worse numbers than Rowand did last year, given how bad Rowand actually did.  On the other hand, Anderson still has a much higher upside, and it's entirely possible that having faced big league pitching and ran with the team through the entire playoffs last year, he'll come in more ready to play than anyone thinks next year.

Come on, you're selling Rowand a little short here aren't you? Most everyone knew '04 was an aberration. Even so, he still got on base better than half the team and put up 48 extra base hits. Only two guys on the team had more than that. You're telling me it's almost impossible for Anderson to do worse than that his first full season in the big leagues. Okay...

Uribe still needs to figure out a way to lay off some pitches.

We all love Uribe. But you're right. If he's going to bat second, he got to get on base more.

On top of that, the bench is massively upgraded, so hopefully we won't see any more  .218 hitting guys starting games as our leadoff hitter very often, and that's worth probably 10-20 runs right there.

I do like our bench a lot. Not too big on Mackowiak though. His main value is being able to play so many positions. You'll notice offensively he likes to choose one month to tear the cover off the ball, then hover below mediocrity the rest of the season.

This team will be significantly better with the bats next year.  Count on it.  It just can't get any worse.  And if everything were to go right, they can seriously challenge for the best offense in the league.

This is where you lose me. Thome has to stay healthy for a full season for us to land around a run total that was sub-par. It's a lot to ask from a guy who just picked up a bat one month ago. And the addition of Thome catapults us from 9th offense in the AL to 1st? Unless the entire team decides to have career years in '06, that ain't gonna happen.

It doesn't matter that he was in the best RBI spot. What matters is that him and Frank knocked in over 110 RBI's from that spot which would be a challenging task for Thome even if he could play a full season in perfect health. And a lot of people rag on Everett, but he had the best BA with RISP on our team. Rowand came in second.

Your stats are a bit off. Everett had 69 RBI's as a DH last season. Remember, he also played the outfield and had some RBI's from those positions. Frank had 24 RBI's as a DH last season (he had 2 RBI's as a pinch hitter). Konerko had 10 RBI's as a DH and there were a few others. So we got 107 total RBI's from the DH spot last season, not over 110.

If Thome stays healthy for the entire season, 110 RBI's is not a huge task for him at all. In his last full season (2004), he finished with 105 RBI's. He had 131 RBI's in 2003. Over a course of 162 games, Thome has averaged 40 HR's and 111 RBI's in his career.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 01:29 PM)
Your stats are a bit off.  Everett had 69 RBI's as a DH last season.  Remember, he also played the outfield and had some RBI's from those positions.  Frank had 24 RBI's as a DH last season (he had 2 RBI's as a pinch hitter).  Konerko had 10 RBI's as a DH and there were a few others.  So we got 107 total RBI's from the DH spot last season, not over 110.

If Thome stays healthy for the entire season, 110 RBI's is not a huge task for him at all.  In his last full season (2004), he finished with 105 RBI's.  He had 131 RBI's in 2003.  Over a course of 162 games, Thome has averaged 40 HR's and 111 RBI's in his career.

I'm not talking DH spot, I'm talking 3-hole in lineup. Usually occupied by either Everett or Frank last year, and Thome this year.

I'm not talking DH spot, I'm talking 3-hole in lineup.  Usually occupied by either Everett or Frank last year, and Thome this year.

Okay, well your 110 RBI stat is still wrong then...

Statistics: 2005 Regular Season - Batting #3

We got 103 RBI's from the #3 spot in the lineup last season. Thome has averaged 40 HR's and 111 RBI's in his career over a 162 game average. If Thome stays healthy, the real factor to worry about is how his RBI production will be affected by Uribe batting second in the lineup. If Uribe does end up being our #2 hitter next season, the difference in his OBP from Iguchi's OBP could affect Thome's RBI production.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
Dye didn't lead all right fielders in homeruns last season.  Both Sheffield (34 HR's) and Vlad (32 HR's) were ahead of him.

The reason you hear the stat that Dye had the most homers by a RFer in the AL is because Sheff and Vlad hit a bunch as DH's. So while actually playing RF, Dye accumulated the most. Kind of inconsequential if you ask me.