White Sox will ease into things

SSH2005

White Sox will ease into things

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sportsstory.asp?id=147910

After missing the final three months of the 2005 season with a lower back strain and elbow surgery, Jim Thome appears to be the White Sox’ biggest medical question heading into spring training.

But Thome is not alone in the recovery room.

At the opening of SoxFest on Friday, general manager Kenny Williams confirmed that left fielder Scott Podsednik and right fielder Jermaine Dye each had surgery to repair hernias after the White Sox won the World Series three months ago.

The condition landed the speedy Podsednik on the disabled list for two weeks in August and severely curtailed his basestealing ability over the second half of the season.

While also slowed by a hernia, Dye managed to play in 145 games and earned World Series MVP honors by batting .438 with 1 home run and 3 RBI during the Sox’ four-game sweep of the Houston Astros.

Both Podsednik and Dye are expected to be 100 percent by the start of the regular season.

“We’re not going to rush them (in spring training),’’ Williams said. “(Heck), we’re not going to rush any of these guys. We played an extra month of baseball and won the World Series. We are all going to ease back in.’’

Thome appears to be the most eager to get started after spending a frustrating season with the Philadelphia Phillies. The powerful left-hander, who ranks fifth in the major leagues with 375 home runs over the last 10 years, said he’s just about fully recovered from Aug. 16 elbow surgery.

“I enjoy playing the game, and when you can’t because of an injury, it kind of opens your eyes,’’ said Thome, who played in a career-low 59 games with Philadelphia. “It makes you even more hungry. Everything’s been good and I haven’t had any setbacks at all. I’m excited about it, and I called a couple of my buddies the other day. I said, ‘I’m a baseball player again.’æ’’

Insurance policy: Since the White Sox apparently are going to keep Jose Contreras and trot out a high-powered starting rotation that also includes Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Jon Garland and newcomer Javier Vazquez in 2006, it looks like 22-year-old Brandon McCarthy is headed for the bullpen.

The other option is sending McCarthy back to Class AAA Charlotte for more seasoning.

“Let’s face it, if (McCarthy) was on a lot of other clubs, he would be starting,’’ Kenny Williams said. “Sorry, I just feel as though I want to give ourselves the best chance to win. It’s a lot easier to do it this way than if one of (the other starters) gets hurt and we have to try and go out and get someone.’’

Face the nation: Although it hasn’t been officially announced, the World Series champion White Sox are expected to meet up in Washington on Feb. 13 to be honored by President Bush at the White House.

Cashing in: While Frank Thomas had some harsh parting words for the White Sox, the fact of the matter is he made a combined $17.5 million the last two seasons while playing in just 108 total games due to injury.

Thomas made $6 million in 2004, $8 million in 2005 and he received a $3.5 million buyout shortly after the Sox won the World Series.

“You make the conscious decisions to grin and bear it,’’ Kenny Williams said of the critical comments from Thomas after he signed with the Oakland Athletics on Thursday. “It doesn’t do any good to get into a back and forth. It really doesn’t.’’