Crede to bat 9th if Anderson wins CF job

SSH2005

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...ack=1&cset=true

The oral daggers turned to praise and even gifts for White Sox general manager Ken Williams, whose question-and-answer sessions with manager Ozzie Guillen turned into appreciation sessions from the fans at SoxFest.

At Friday's session, the first fan didn't ask a question but thanked Williams and Guillen for directing the Sox to their first World Series title in 88 years and provided a consolation prize for Williams failing to win The Sporting News' Executive of the Year award that went to Cleveland's Mark Shapiro.

"Kenny, I think everyone will agree you got robbed, and my family has something for you," she said.

Williams was presented with a crystal trophy honoring him as GM of the year.

For Williams, the fans' appreciation marked a major transformation from the acrimonious sessions of two years ago.

"It's interesting that this room is only half-full this year," Williams smirked at the start of Friday's session.

But Saturday's first session was marked with an overflow crowd of more than 1,000 admirers who gave Williams and Guillen a 25-second standing ovation when they walked on stage.

The environment was so pleasant Williams asked announcer Darrin Jackson to allow the fans to ask questions 20 minutes into the seminar, which ran 20 minutes longer to accommodate as many questions and comments as possible.

From there, it became a mixture of comedy, commentary and blunt answers that brought several rounds of applause.

Guillen explained why he turned down offers to appear on "Late Show with David Letterman" and "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno."

"You can't understand what I have to say," Guillen quipped.

And that was just a start.

After one fan expressed his anxiety over Guillen's use of mercurial left-handed reliever Damaso Marte in pressure situations, Guillen said "He scared me too."

Guillen, on A.J. Pierzynski's wise decision to run out a third strike in Game 2 of the American League Championship Series: "I didn't know A.J. Pierzynski is that smart."

One of the most touching moments came from a young Sox fan who brought her 97-year-old grandmother, who underwent heart surgery last month but asked to be released so she could attend SoxFest.

After the session, the fan's grandmother—in a wheelchair—was given a Paul Konerko jersey.

The fans applauded the candid responses from Guillen and Williams regarding personnel.

One fan asked about the chances of Arnie Munoz earning a job as the second left-handed reliever.

Said Guillen: "He has a good fastball, he has a good breaking ball. I don't think he has enough guts,"

Williams reaffirmed the Sox likely will carry six starting pitchers going into spring training and gave an endorsement to outfield prospect Jerry Owens.

"If we need Jerry Owens, he's ready to play in the big leagues," Williams said.

Guillen said third baseman Joe Crede will bat ninth if Brian Anderson lands the center-field job.

The only boos came after a fan wearing a Dustin Hermanson jersey asked if the Sox had interest in embattled former Cubs center fielder Corey Patterson.

Williams seized the moment.

"I was that close to getting Corey Patterson," he said, separating his index finger and thumb by one-half inch.

"I'm just kidding."

Jeez, Ozzie doesn't hold back. :o I would guess that the lineup will look something like this...

Podsednik LF

Uribe SS

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Dye RF

Iguchi 2B

Pierzynski C

Anderson CF

Crede 3B

Every part of that lineup will probably move around a lil' bit this season except for hopefully Pods, Thome, and Konerko. I do wonder why you want Crede hitting behind BA and in front of Pods though. Less pressure? I dunno, but Pods just isn't good protection for a batter no matter what.

Every part of that lineup will probably move around a lil' bit this season except for hopefully Pods, Thome, and Konerko.  I do wonder why you want Crede hitting behind BA and in front of Pods though.  Less pressure?  I dunno, but Pods just isn't good protection for a batter no matter what.

Anderson may get on base more than Crede and Crede has more power. So Crede can drive in the speedier Anderson. That's my only guess as to what Ozzie is thinking.

QUOTE(rventura23 @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 02:11 AM)
I liked Uribe in the 9 slot, but if hes second I think its better to have Crede 9th over BA

I totally agree with that. Especially since Uribe is prone to go through prolonged slumps at the bat. Having a free swinger like him batting second doesn't make any sense.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 10:35 AM)
This is not the 1st time we've heard Ozzie say he's not a fan of Munoz, why is he still around?

He throws the ball with his left hand. That's the Major League equivalent of having comprimising pictures of your boss with his 22 year old secretary.

Job.Security.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
I was in every 2006 White Sox Seminar, and in everyone Ozzie stated that Anderson would bat 9th if he is our center fielder.  I don't understand how these guys in the media mess this stuff up.

Simple, because they get paid good money to misinform the uninformed. :bang

I cannot wait to see how Jermaine comes out this season. If he is the guy from the playoffs or not. I liked him in the three-hole, and I always thought Kong was better suited in the fifth spot. Thome would break them up nicely either way, and I know Kong is our big bat, but I dunno.

I cannot wait to see how Jermaine comes out this season. If he is the guy from the playoffs or not. I liked him in the three-hole, and I always thought Kong was better suited in the fifth spot. Thome would break them up nicely either way, and I know Kong is our big bat, but I dunno.

Dye is still the worst hitter of the three so I'd rather see him batting fifth, regardless of worrying about the righty/lefty order. I still think a 3-4-5 of Thome, Konerko, and Dye makes the most sense.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 11:49 PM)
Dye is still the worst hitter of the three so I'd rather see him batting fifth, regardless of worrying about the righty/lefty order.  I still think a 3-4-5 of Thome, Konerko, and Dye makes the most sense.

I'd like Thome fourth regardless.

I don't like it. Crede is more deserving of 8th than Anderson. He really came on in Sept & Oct.

I think ST should decide who hits 8th & 9th.

As for the rest I'm cool with it.

Pods, Uribe, Thome, Kong, Dye, Iguchi, AJ, Crede, Anderson

Uribe did very well at #2 in 2004. With Pods in front & Thome in back he is sure to see much better pitches. Where Ozzie sacrificed Iguchi to get Pods over a LOT last year I see a LOT more hit & run in store for Pods-Uribe. Overall the move is sure to make Uribe a more disciplined hitter.

You need reasonable speed in front of Iguchi to maximize his double potential. So Dye-Iguchi makes the most sense. I think Iguchi is going to surprise a lot of people with a SLG % > 500 in 2006.

I think you want to try to put good speed aboard when Pods comes to bat & that isn't Crede. Anderson's a much better fit there.