Podsednik had 2 hernias last season

SSH2005

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...ack=1&cset=true

2 hernias slowed Podsednik

January 28, 2006, 9:35 PM CST

Scott Podsednik has proof his second-half decline in stolen bases can be attributed to injuries more severe than first thought. The White Sox's left fielder revealed at SoxFest that he underwent surgery nine weeks ago to repair two hernias.

"I had an inguinal hernia as well as a sports hernia," he said. "They weren't going to heal and they were ripped. They sewed it up and it shouldn't present any problems."

Podsednik stole 59 bases in the regular season, but only seven the last two months.

"Clearly, you can't tell everything from numbers, but numbers sometimes speak for themselves," he said.

What the heck is a "sports hernia?" I had never heard that term.

Here is a link that will teach you all about the inguinal hernia:

(click on the "Insturctions" button, then "Start The Module")

Inguinal hernia interactive tutorial

It took me about 8 weeks to recover from that surgery.

Edited by caffeinated

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 11:59 PM)
Maybe this will quiet some of the crap that Pods took in the second half now...  That took some balls to play through.

Uh, why?

He took crap because he kept trying to steal when he obviously couldn't. If you can't steal, fine, just don't get thrown out.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 10:47 PM)
Uh, why?

He took crap because he kept trying to steal when he obviously couldn't.  If you can't steal, fine, just don't get thrown out.

I agree he deserves some of the crap because he made poor decisions on the base path. Although kudos to him for getting through that and not complaining

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)
Maybe this will quiet some of the crap that Pods took in the second half now...  That took some balls to play through.

Carlos Lee fans will continue to criticize Pods, despite him being a better ball player in every asset besides power. People keep on pointing at getting thorwn out on the basepaths during our slump, ever hear of decoys?? The Sox obviously knew that Pods wasnt gonna be as effective, but continued to give him the green light because pitchers have to take account for him, most more than the hitter at the plate. If Scotty all of sudden stopped running, even though he was going through some tough injuries, the threat is gone and doesnt set up for Iguchi, Dye and Paulie. Ask Clement if he wasnt worried about Scotty in Game 1 of the ALDS.

QUOTE(caffeinated @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 11:42 PM)
What the heck is a "sports hernia?"  I had never heard that term.

Here is a link that will teach you all about the inguinal hernia:

(click on the "Insturctions" button, then "Start The Module")

Inguinal hernia interactive tutorial

It took me about 8 weeks to recover from that surgery.

Great slideshow but did anyone else find it very painful to read? ;)