Best brand of hot dogs

Kid Gleason

What's your favorite brand of dogs?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite brand of dogs?

• Vienna
    • Best
    • Hebrew National
    • Oscar Mayer
    • Ball Park
    • Dave Berg
    • Other

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 07:32 PM)
Vienna Beef, but there is this nice tofu dog

:puke sorry Soxy  :lol:

Smart ass.

Anyway, my favorite is SmartDog (yes, they're meatless) but amazing. I think they taste better than the meat ones.

Edit to add: Who the heck voted for Oscar Mayer? That's like voting for Pabst Blue Ribbon in a beer poll?!?!?

Edited by Soxy

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 06:53 PM)
Smart ass.

Anyway, my favorite is SmartDog (yes, they're meatless)  but amazing. I think they taste better than the meat ones.

Edit to add: Who the heck voted for Oscar Mayer? That's like voting for Pabst Blue Ribbon in a beer poll?!?!?

What's so wrong with PBR? Now Schlitz would be the correct equivalent IMHO.

I always like Koegels or Nathans.

I never really wanted to try anything other than Oscar Meyer after growing up on them, but a few years ago I grabbed a package of Vienna because they were on sale. I put those things on the grill and never looked back. To me its the closest thing you can have to a ballpark dog because thats what most vendors use. Yummmmmmmy. I usually get their Jumbo dogs too, and let them plump up bigtime on the grill for a while, until they look like they are gonna pop

Vienna hotdogs steamed and served on an S. Rosen's poppyseed bun.

Put on mustard, onions, relish, tomato, cucumber and Vienna sport peppers.

I like to have one of those and also a tamale from Veteran's on Archer and Ashland. Put the tamale on a hotdog bun with all the same toppings.

I grew up eating both of these from the carts in Bridgeport. Mike's on Aberdeen and then later MaryAnn on Lyman street. Maryann is still out in the summer.

Now I am hungry and need to go downstairs and make some of these in my steamer pot. Good thing I always keep Vienna hotdogs, Veterans tamales, and condiments on hand. I make these at home at least once a week.

QUOTE(zach23 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 11:23 AM)
Vienna hotdogs steamed and served on an S. Rosen's poppyseed bun.

Put on mustard, onions, relish, tomato, cucumber and Vienna sport peppers.

I like to have one of those and also a tamale from Veteran's on Archer and Ashland. Put the tamale on a hotdog bun with all the same toppings.

I grew up eating both of these from the carts in Bridgeport. Mike's on Aberdeen and then later MaryAnn on Lyman street. Maryann is still out in the summer.

Now I am hungry and need to go downstairs and make some of these in my steamer pot. Good thing I always keep Vienna hotdogs, Veterans tamales, and condiments on hand. I make these at home at least once a week.

You're not going to give away the "secret" ingredient that the hot dog stands use?

QUOTE(zach61 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 01:04 PM)
You're not going to give away the "secret" ingredient that the hot dog stands use?

Yeah, I completely forgot to mention the celery salt.

The other trick is to put some celery salt in the water when the hotdogs are being steamed.

Great thread.

I remember reading a bit about Mad Magazine guru William Gaines and hotdogs. Seems that a number of folks in the office were worried because Gaines' everyday lunch date was a trip to the cart outside. They were trying to get him to eat some version of NotDog, so they arranged a taste test with six or seven meat dogs and two meatless ones; this was going to convince him that all dogs had basically the same flavor. He tried all of the dogs, and someone said, "See, they're all the same."

Gaines replied, "No they're not!" and proceeded to idnetify every single brand of dog, including the two meatless ones.