Who will win the last outfielder spot?

SSH2005

Who will win the last outfielder spot?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the last outfielder spot?

• Darren Blakely
    • Joe Borchard
    • Ben Grieve
    • Jerry Owens
    • Ryan Sweeney

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
I still don't like the idea of putting owens in the big time yet...he's only had 1 really successful year in the minors as far as I know (last year at AA ball), he hasn't really faced even AAA pitching, he has several things to learn still (defense, base-stealing techniques), and as far as I know his arbitration clock hasn't started yet.

I know it doesn't seem like a huge thing, but if Borchard doesn't make the 25 man roster this year...we lose him completely.  Someone will claim him off waivers.  If nothing else, I'm just going to continue hoping for an average year from him just so we can trade him to someone desperate for an outfield bat after an injury.  If we've invested that much time and that much $$ in a guy...if there's any potential left there at all (and he still does perform pretty well at AAA), then I don't think it's a good idea to just waste all that investment.

I agree with you, but if Ozzie and Kenny think that Owens will help the club more than any of the others, he'll get the job. They are going for it all again this year and I think they'll do whatever they think will make the team stronger.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 01:10 PM)
Not only will it be Borchard but I think he's going to add on to his 2005 success.  In 2005 he led the Knights in TB & broke the Knight's all-time hit record.  When called up in 2005 he made the most of his AB's & didn't choke. 

He represents insurance along with Mack against a Thome injury.

Bench: Widger, Ozuna, Mack, Gload, & Borchy.  As a SH Borchy's the only power RH option off the bench.  If he survives ST in good health he's a lock for that spot.

lol it doesn't surprise me that he broke the all time hit record, he's been there forever.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
I still don't like the idea of putting owens in the big time yet...he's only had 1 really successful year in the minors as far as I know (last year at AA ball), he hasn't really faced even AAA pitching, he has several things to learn still (defense, base-stealing techniques), and as far as I know his arbitration clock hasn't started yet.

I know it doesn't seem like a huge thing, but if Borchard doesn't make the 25 man roster this year...we lose him completely.  Someone will claim him off waivers.  If nothing else, I'm just going to continue hoping for an average year from him just so we can trade him to someone desperate for an outfield bat after an injury.  If we've invested that much time and that much $$ in a guy...if there's any potential left there at all (and he still does perform pretty well at AAA), then I don't think it's a good idea to just waste all that investment.

The jump from double a to triple is is much less than from rookie ball to double a or single a to double a. There is a reason so many teams bring up players from double a and don't worry about sending them to triple a. Look at the sox in the early to middle 90's... most were brought up from double a with none or very limited experience in triple a.

His numbers are not and never have been anything to look at considering his stadium and league as a whole he plays in. Some of the craziest offensive numbers in the minors... ever... have been put up in that league.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 07:19 PM)
Borchard will win it, but if he f***s it up, then I believe we'll see Owens by June, if not earlier.

How can you f*** up the last outfielder spot? Timo did his damndest last year and hung around for the duration.

Here is whats going to happen.... Borchard will get the job than Dye will get so many spider bites he will be out for 2 months in which time Joe Borchard will hit 25 HR's with a .315 avg. And than he will keep the job and finish with 40 HR's a .310 avg with a .400 OBP.... also having 160 K's and he will win RoY/MVP.

Ive said it so it must be true.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 10:08 PM)
Here is whats going to happen.... Borchard will get the job than Dye will get so many spider bites he will be out for 2 months in which time Joe Borchard will hit 25 HR's with a .315 avg.  And than he will keep the job and finish with 40 HR's a .310 avg with a .400 OBP.... also having 160 K's and he will win RoY/MVP.

Ive said it so it must be true.

You've also said one thing which is impossible. Borch is ineligible for the ROY. Way too much playing time already.

I agree completely with the AA & AAA comments. The can't miss talent is moving from AA to the majors because the overall talent in the MLs these days is weak. Consider that a mediocre starter like Fogg has 3 teams vying for his services. Unreal.

With respect to the White Sox I think the Barons have produced winning teams in recent yrs whereas the Knights have not. If that's true then a move to Charlotte for Owns means going from a winning atmosphere to a losing one. Though 2006 holds much more promise for the Knights this year.