Brett Favre leaning toward retirement

I'd love to see him traded to a upper tier team for a final trip around the league. But I don't blame him for not wanting another season in GB. And I appreciate a city the size of GB keeping a team and doing that well financially.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 08:31 AM)
i wish dude would just make a decision one way or another and be done with it.

why couldn't this revelation wait until after the super bowl? he just has to have the limelight.

LOL You must be a Bears fan. I guess we should b**** about all these teams making coaching moves at the same time too. This Super Bowl doesn't have many story lines besides the Bus. I don't think anyone is complaining about there being a little side story this year.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
LOL You must be a Bears fan.  I guess we should b**** about all these teams making coaching moves at the same time too.  This Super Bowl doesn't have many story lines besides the Bus.  I don't think anyone is complaining about there being a little side story this year.

i am a bear fan, but i have great respect for favre. i acknowledge how good he is and his place in history and all of that.

but this has been a running story for how long now? and on the monday of super bowl week a story "breaks" that "now he's leaning to retirement?" gmafb.

this week should be about the competing teams, not the quarterback on one of the worst teams in the league.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 08:45 AM)
i am a bear fan, but i have great respect for favre. i acknowledge how good he is and his place in history and all of that.

but this has been a running story for how long now? and on the monday of super bowl week a story "breaks" that "now he's leaning to retirement?" gmafb.

this week should be about the competing teams, not the quarterback on one of the worst teams in the league.

Blame ESPN. THEY are the ones that interviewed him. THEY are the ones that chose to break it as a story now.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 02:08 PM)
Blame ESPN.  THEY are the ones that interviewed him.  THEY are the ones that chose to break it as a story now.

favre knows the deal and he knows how this all works. he could easily have declined comment out of respect for the teams competing in the super bowl. that is where the focus should be this week.

and this will just be the start. guaranteed holmgren gets asked about it, giving us another day of these stories.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 09:16 AM)
favre knows the deal and he knows how this all works. he could easily have declined comment out of respect for the teams competing in the super bowl. that is where the focus should be this week.

and this will just be the start. guaranteed holmgren gets asked about it, giving us another day of these stories.

Does it really matter? People really just don't care about this Superbowl. You and I might, but a whole bunch of people just couldn't care less. It's Seattle and Pittsburgh. There's not much there for a national audience. ESPN and such have to talk about something that will interest people.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 02:19 PM)
Does it really matter?  People really just don't care about this Superbowl.  You and I might, but a whole bunch of people just couldn't care less.  It's Seattle and Pittsburgh.  There's not much there for a national audience.  ESPN and such have to talk about something that will interest people.

does it really matter? no. but you could say that about a whole helluva lot of topics that get debated endlessly.

if we only had opinions on things that mattered message boards probably wouldn't exist.

Example 22,589,763 why I don't watch ESPN. They make a non story like somebody "leaning towards retiring" their "breaking news". Now a non story will be the headline for 2 or 3 days of super bowl week.

Also, screw Brett Favre, this was clearly done by him now to take the headlines and get the Packers attention.

The entire sports world must stop for two weeks out of respect for the Super Bowl. The public can only care about one thing at a time. We want 24/7 Super Bowl coverage. Let's hear about what some obscure lineman eats for breakfast.

Damn, NBA playing games. The NBA even orchestrated the Artest trade/no trade/trade to steal the limelight.

OMG! WHY ARE WE EVEN TALKING ABOUT THIS? THERE'S A SUPERBOWL IN A FEW DAYS!!! STOP ALL OTHER FORUMS

I think most people can pay attention to more than one story. I can't believe there has been any Super Bowl story that you are missing because a HoF QB is contemplating retirement.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 08:58 AM)
The entire sports world must stop for two weeks out of respect for the Super Bowl. The public can only care about one thing at a time.  We want 24/7 Super Bowl coverage. Let's hear about what some obscure lineman eats for breakfast.

Damn, NBA playing games. The NBA even orchestrated the Artest trade/no trade/trade to steal the limelight.

I think most people can pay attention to more than one story. I can't believe there has been any Super Bowl story that you are missing because a HoF QB is contemplating retirement.

I agree but I'm grasping for straws here to rip at (1) Brett Favre and (2) ESPN, so work with me. :P

Also, the entire sports world shouldn't stop for 2 weeks for the Super Bowl, but the entire NFL world should. And in unrelated news, the week off in between the Championship Games and the Super Bowl is the lamest thing ever.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 02:58 PM)
The entire sports world must stop for two weeks out of respect for the Super Bowl. The public can only care about one thing at a time.  We want 24/7 Super Bowl coverage. Let's hear about what some obscure lineman eats for breakfast.

OMG! WHY ARE WE EVEN TALKING ABOUT THIS? THERE'S A SUPERBOWL IN A FEW DAYS!!! STOP ALL OTHER FORUMS

if this story brought any new information to light then sure, i think it would be worthy. but what new have we learned here? it's been roundly reported since midseason that he was leaning to retirement. why does it need rehashed this week?

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 08:45 AM)

it was originally an interview about Holmgren. can't blame him for answering questions that he was asked.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 06:46 PM)
he could just as easily said no comment.

does anybody?

and since I feel like I should add something productive to this thread, it's my opinion that Favre is going to retire, but nothing would surprise me. him saying some days he wouldn't want the ball in his hands with the game on the line and two minutes left in that interview sticks out to me. that's not the kind of quote you want from your QB, especially one like Favre who has led his team back in those final two minutes a number of times.

All I have to say is that he has given the packers lots of good seasons under their belt and has had an amazing career, I really hope he stays. If he goes Rodgers shouldnt be too bad he does have good receivers to work with but hes no big ben or tom brady.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
he could just as easily said no comment.

Then he isn't fan friendly. Leagues want players to be good to the fans through the media. They fine players for not reporting for manditory media days etc. It's a no win for Favre.