God registers to vote

Soxy

link to trib story

Man Signs Voter Registration as 'God'

By Associated Press

Published January 30, 2006, 6:52 AM CST

READING, Pa. -- One registered Republican won't be able to vote in the next election unless he appears at a Berks County Elections Board to explain the signature on his registration form.

The man is registered as Paul S. Sewell, but his form is signed "God."

County Solicitor Alan S. Miller said Sewell claims his "God" signature is merely a legal mark like the "X" used by people who are illiterate.

Sewell, 40, said he will be happy to explain. As the owner of a bail enforcement agency, he finds fugitives, he said.

"Whenever I go to arrest somebody, they say, 'Oh, God, give me another chance. Oh, God, let me go. I'll turn myself in tomorrow,'" Sewell said.

He said he thinks his designated mark is legal. "PennDOT accepted it on my driver's license. I have a credit card with it," he said. "It shouldn't be a problem."

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)
link to trib story

Man Signs Voter Registration as 'God'

By Associated Press

Published January 30, 2006, 6:52 AM CST

READING, Pa. -- One registered Republican won't be able to vote in the next election unless he appears at a Berks County Elections Board to explain the signature on his registration form.

The man is registered as Paul S. Sewell, but his form is signed "God."

County Solicitor Alan S. Miller said Sewell claims his "God" signature is merely a legal mark like the "X" used by people who are illiterate.

Sewell, 40, said he will be happy to explain. As the owner of a bail enforcement agency, he finds fugitives, he said.

"Whenever I go to arrest somebody, they say, 'Oh, God, give me another chance. Oh, God, let me go. I'll turn myself in tomorrow,'" Sewell said.

He said he thinks his designated mark is legal. "PennDOT accepted it on my driver's license. I have a credit card with it," he said. "It shouldn't be a problem."

Somebody tell this man he is elegible to vote in Illinois. Several times.

Oh wait he is Republican. He better go to Ohio. Or Florida. Thats where Republicans cheat, Right?

QUOTE(Cknolls @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
Somebody tell this man he is elegible to vote in Illinois. Several times.

Oh wait he is Republican. He better go to Ohio. Or Florida. Thats where Republicans cheat, Right?

Correct, the Dems get Illinois and New Jersey, the GOP gets Ohio and Florida. And sometimes New Mexico. :lolhitting

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 09:26 PM)
Correct, the Dems get Illinois and New Jersey, the GOP gets Ohio and Florida. And sometimes New Mexico.  :lolhitting

but then again, in an electoral college mentality, would a few hundred votes make a difference in Illinois or New Jersey? Now ask the same question about Ohio and Florida.

New Mexico seems to be an annual trade off.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 05:14 PM)
but then again, in an electoral college mentality, would a few hundred votes make a difference in Illinois or New Jersey? Now ask the same question about Ohio and Florida.

New Mexico seems to be an annual trade off.

A few hundred votes made a difference for Kennedy in 1960 in Illinois. Thank the underwater precincts of Chicago for that.

And you're right about New Mexico. Sometimes for both parties ;)