Rick Morrissey Cubs vs. Sox article

whitesoxfan101

Any Sox fan who thinks I say that because I'm an evil member of the company that owns the Cubs, and thus a person incapable of any objectivity when it comes to the team from the North Side, probably has me confused with WGN Radio's David Kaplan.

And I'd like to point out that if we at the Chicago Tribune had gone any more out of our way to show Sox fans we were on their side during the playoffs, we would have had to run this kind of headline: "Cubs rotting in hell!"

As it is, we all but wrote in big, black letters, "We're throwing ourselves at the Sox!"

He's right about David Kaplan. That dude is a totally clueless Cubs homer.

Atleast he waited until Soxfest was over to post this article.

It'll take atleast a generation for things to change. I'm biased; yes, but I consider the Cubs fanbase to be the essential "perfect storm." Everything from WGN, to Wrigley Field, to Sammy Sosa, to Harry Carey, to Lincoln Park gentrification have conjoined together to create Cubdom. Think of most teams and their fanbases. Those with consistently high attendances usually have storied history, winning ballclubs, or atleast one or two World Series championships littered throughout their history. Cubs have memories of curses and botched plays.

I just can't believe a World Series didn't set the wheels in motion for the eventual shift in White Sox fan support. I almost get the impression some are unwilling to even acknowledge this as a possibility. "No, impossible! NEVER!!!" It may take 10 years, but if the Cubs remain their woeful selves and we're hoisting atleast one more trophy, no one can convince me this town sustains a 3:1 Cubs/Sox ratio.

Give those who are fairly young an opportunity to cherish the memories of a World Series championship. Wait for those bangwangon jumping fans to turn their infant children towards a winning organization. It's bound to happen.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I've heard Kaplan talk about the White Sox a couple times this offseason...the pain in his voice is unmistakeable. It is GREAT to hear, Kaplan is the TYPICAL clueless drunken "fan of the Ivy" Cubs guy.

Also, well said Flash and agreed on all counts. It is going to take time, but last year was the start of the gradual shift towards sanity, which resides 8.2 miles to the south of "The Shrine".

This is a Cubs town and will be as long as people keep shelling out money to watch the world's longest running sob story. Disappointment has been handed down from generation to generation, so much so that feeling disappointment is as natural as having two arms and two legs.

This pretty much summed it up IMO. To tell you the truth...who cares...as long as the Sox continuously put a good product on the field and are yearly contenders and hopefully bring home another winner this year. I'm just happy KW is in charge and has the competitive fire to put together a winning team. Let's just enjoy it now while we can.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 12:28 AM)
The more I think about it, the more I'm confused how ANYBODY could be dumb enough to fall into the Cub trap.  I honestly can't see how you could fall for that joke of a product unless you were brainwashed.

I believe it was the perfect set of circumstances which drew the current Cub-group in. Without something more than 100 years of futility to attach yourself to, Cubdom won't continue growing at the level it did in the early, mid 90's.

The only part I disagree with is the mushroom cloud part...since basically it doesn't agree with the rest of the column.

So on 1 hand...it would take a mushroom cloud for the city to no longer be a cubs town...but on the other hand the Sox could pull it off if they keep winning? Zwuh?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 12:33 AM)
I believe it was the perfect set of circumstances which drew the current Cub-group in. Without something more than 100 years of futility to attach yourself to, Cubdom won't continue growing at the level it did in the early, mid 90's.

True, and there were a lot of circumstances....but I still don't get how people could embrace a team that plays in a hellhole, hasn't won in almost a century, and couldn't give 2 s***s or a f*** about winning anytime soon.

all anyone needs to do is look around. look how many more people wear sox hats, tshirts, jerseys, sweatshirts, bumper stickers etc than just a year ago. everywhere i go now i see sox gear, that tells u something.

are there still a ton of cub fans? sure. there always will be. there little setup on the northside attracts fans, not the team on the field. wrigley is just one of the many bars on the northside, except its outside and there is some baseball being played. its part of a pub crawl in the summer time.

with all that said, i will take comiskey/the cell anyday. i like to tailgate, i like a clean and large stadium, i like being with the average joe fan in the stands watching baseball and discussing baseball rather than hit on cute drunk chicks, i do that at other times. it's just real nice that we finally have a first class team on the field and that we get to support a world champion baseball team in our lifetimes.

I dont really care if people view Chicago as a Cubs town or a Sox town. If being a Sox town requires converting a lot of Cubs fans to Sox fans, then it can stay a "Cubs town"

As long as the Sox win, thats all that matters

From my experience, Cubs fans arent as interested in that

What I agree with Morrissey on is that a change such as this will not happen overnight. It's more likely to take a generation or two, because that's how long it takes for a paradigm shift like this to happen. As much silver and black as you see around now is a welcome sight but it takes a sustained amount to really make a change, and those take years.

But really, there are only two teams in the MLB with National fan bases, and those are the Cubs and the Yankees. The Cubs have WGN, the Yankees have East Coast media bias and they have the Yankee tradition of winning championships and buying players. Point being that aside from the Mets, there is really no other team that competes with another hometown team with a National fan base.

The American League has always been in my blood, with my Detroit-born dad and Kansas City-native mother. I've always sided with the Sox, though, because that's who my dad rooted for. My parents' first and best friends in Chicago were die-hard Sox lifers who started taking them to games the summer of the South Side Hit Men. Sometimes they'd even bring months-old me with them.

But growing up I just simply loved baseball. I'd watch the Sox on WFLD, and when I was able, the Braves on TBS, whatever ESPN had going on, whatever the major networks carried, and yes, even the Cubs on WGN. Why? They were usually on after school. Like I said, I just loved baseball. Couldn't get enough of it. I've since got sick of the Cubs broadcasts and Cub journalists, but back then I remember just watching whatever was on and loving it because it was baseball.

Edited by Drew

Everytime I see an article like this I think one thing. They are all missing the Sox current advertising thrust. The Sox are trying to capture the next generation of fans. So many of their promotions, giveaways, and such are aimed at kids under their teens. They have the White Sox acadamies, Kid's Days, Southpaw, and the Cubs have what? The Sox know you can't change the fandom of the great majority of fans who have hit their teens and beyond, but they are doing an incredible job of trying to get the fans who are still impressionable. Of course there isn't a columnist in town who has caught on to this...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 07:08 AM)
Everytime I see an article like this I think one thing.  They are all missing the Sox current advertising thrust.  The Sox are trying to capture the next generation of fans.  So many of their promotions, giveaways, and such are aimed at kids under their teens.  They have the White Sox acadamies, Kid's Days, Southpaw, and the Cubs have what?  The Sox know you can't change the fandom of the great majority of fans who have hit their teens and beyond, but they are doing an incredible job of trying to get the fans who are still impressionable.  Of course there isn't a columnist in town who has caught on to this...

... or, more likely, one that will acknowledge it.

I don't really care if its a Cub town or a Sox town. I especially don't care if Cub fans outnumber Sox fans 3 to 1. The bottom line is the Sox won a world championship, and have enough support to field a team that has a chance to do it again. As long as they have that support, the other stuff doesn't matter at all.

A shift to Chicago being a Sox town has begun, but it's going to take time. Sox stuff is apparent all over town. I've even seen it on the north side (Isn't this further proof God exists?). It will take time for the transformation to continue. On the one hand, the Cubs did have a beautiful confluence of WGN, the Trib, etc. On the other, let's face it, the Sox PR and Promotion Depts. sucked until the last couple of years. I think the Sox are doing an excellent job of bringing in kids and families and Latinos. Assuming the Sox continue to put a winning package on the field, I predict Chicago will be a Sox town in less than 10 years.

Morissey always comes up with his "This is reality" pieces right after something good happens. His columns rarely do anything but tell people he is right because he says so, and he is the exact same personality on Chicago Tribune Live. Winning changes everything, even he should acknowledge that. The Cubs fanbase wouldnt be nearly as forceful as it is now without their run in 2003, and this discussion probably wouldnt even be broached had they finished like usual in 3rd or 4th place in 2003.

The Sox had a big ticker tape parade, but the Cubs would have a bigger one. Whoopdiefrickendoo Morrisey, when they have their parade, if they have their parade, we will judge for ourselves.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 07:58 AM)
The Sox had a big ticker tape parade, but the Cubs would have a bigger one.  Whoopdiefrickendoo Morrisey, when they have their parade, if they have their parade, we will judge for ourselves.

Yeah, saying the Cubs parade would be "omgtehgreatestthingevah!" is like saying we'd be in trouble if a nuclear power plant exploded from within, wiping out life all over the planet. Yeah it sounds like quite an event, but there is no way it will ever happen.

the only people who care about this are cub fans who need something to hang their hat on. if you can't be a winner, you might as well crow about your popularity.

whatever. if the sox are never considered as "popular" as the cubs, who really f***ing cares?

As I read this article I continued to ask myself, "What is the point of this?" Where is the Sox fan newspaper that touts the Trib only covers the cub? As I was reading this it sounded like an 8 year old was writing this. It had no direction or point. I kind of laughed because I don't care anymore the cubs and their fans are a great source of humor.

Morrisey makes some good points. Yeah, the Sox have gained popularity (quite a bit I'd say). Yes, the biggest single thing that would continue the trend is winning. And no, I don't really think he is part of any vast conspiracy on behalf of the Cubs.

But there are other factors which are very important to many fans, which have been in the Cubs' favor in the last few decades. And those are changing too. The neighborhood? IIT just bought a bunch of land to the south of 35th to build a new commercial area, for bars, restaurants, condos, etc. Metra is putting a stop at 35th right there as well. Areas to the north of the park (Armour Park) are being bought up, torn down and rebuilt. The neighborhood is changing.

Also, as SS2K5 points out, the real war is on the kids. And the Sox appear to be winning that one. Better promotions, better advertising, a more kid-friendly park, etc.

Add it all up, and I think if all these trends continue, the Sox will take back the town. Better on the field, better stadium, better transit options, better parking, better kiddie stuff, and neighborhood options for before and after the game. Not sure when, but it would happen.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 08:08 AM)
Everytime I see an article like this I think one thing.  They are all missing the Sox current advertising thrust.  The Sox are trying to capture the next generation of fans.  So many of their promotions, giveaways, and such are aimed at kids under their teens.  They have the White Sox acadamies, Kid's Days, Southpaw, and the Cubs have what?  The Sox know you can't change the fandom of the great majority of fans who have hit their teens and beyond, but they are doing an incredible job of trying to get the fans who are still impressionable.  Of course there isn't a columnist in town who has caught on to this...

EXACTLY. :notworthy :notworthy

Lets face it, young kids are the ultimate bandwagonners. If you can capture that fan base with a few consecutive AL and WS championships, you will secure a solid fan base for 15 years from now.

As a side note, I don't expect too many people's allegiance to change because the Sox are WS champs. If the Cubs had won the WS, would any of us be jumping ship? If anything, I'd be a bigger, louder Sox supporter. I expect an even more obnoxious Cub fan base this year.