Closer or setup suits Hermanson

greasywheels121

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Closer or setup suits Hermanson

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

Dustin Hermanson is confident his lower back and right arm will be fine when the White Sox start spring training workouts for pitchers and catchers Feb. 18.

"If I've done everything I can, then there are no excuses," Hermanson said this week from his Phoenix-area home.

Hermanson said he has been devoted this winter to a rehabilitation regimen designed to alleviate the lower-back problems that limited him to 13 relief appearances after Aug. 10 last season and prompted the Sox to turn closer duties over to flame-throwing rookie Bobby Jenks.

Hermanson said he started throwing three weeks ago and plans to start pitching off a mound before making the two-hour drive to Tucson Electric Park to join his teammates in 2½ weeks.

"I don't want to go overboard with getting ready," Hermanson said. "If I throw one or two bullpen [sessions] before spring training, that will be fine. You have to remember we played a month longer last season.

"I don't have to go out there and pitch three or five innings. When I'd throw six or seven bullpens before spring training, it was too much. If I throw one or two bullpens before spring training, that should be fine."

Hermanson, 33, has been involved in a rehab program in the Phoenix area for two to three hours a day, three to five times a week, since around Thanksgiving. He has maintained the regimen despite coping with the illness of his father, who recently passed away.

His father's death and a prior commitment to Garth Brooks' annual charity event prevented Hermanson from attending last weekend's SoxFest. Hermanson, however, assured Sox fans he will be more serviceable than he was during the second half of 2005, when he was sidelined for lengthy stretches because of recurring back pain that affected his delivery.

Hermanson has played golf and experienced no problems with his back. Pitching, involves a different type of stress.

"The doctors say pitching requires swinging and bending over," he said. "That's going to test the back. But it will be nothing like last year."

If Hermanson rebounds, the Sox will have another option in late-inning situations. Jenks converted six saves and struck out 50 batters in 391/3 innings after being recalled from Double-A Birmingham, then earned four saves in the postseason.

Before Hermanson suffered back problems, he took over for embattled 2004 closer Shingo Takatsu and began the season with a franchise-record 21 scoreless innings and 13 consecutive save conversions.

"I'm not exactly sure what my role will be," Hermanson said. "I imagine it will be similar to what it was at the start of last year with Shingo. I think I'll probably set up some games and close some games."

Hermanson is ready to make up for lost time.

"I wished I could have pitched more at the end, but they were trying to protect me," Hermanson said. "And I respect that."

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 10:20 PM)
How about middle relief?  Jenks is the closer and Politte and Cotts already took up the setup jobs.

meh, you never know how those things are going to shake up at the start of the year. It's just great news to hear hermy say he's open to anything, etc.

I have 0 faith in Dustin Hermanson to repeat what he did last year, I think we'll be lucky to get a 3.50 ERA and 40 innings out of him this year.

Agreed, that's why I don't want to see him as a late-inning setup man. Last season was a career year for him and I don't expect to see him with an ERA anywhere near 2.00. Especially not with 33 strikeouts in 57.1 IP.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 11:44 PM)
Agreed, that's why I don't want to see him as a late-inning setup man.  Last season was a career year for him and I don't expect to see him with an ERA anywhere near 2.00.  Especially not with 33 strikeouts in 57.1 IP.

Half our staff had career years last year. Should we worry about them also?

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 02:09 AM)
I'm worried the most about Contreras, Hermanson, and Politte.  I'm not to worried about Buehrle, Garcia, Vazquez, and Garland.

Difference is from contreras and politte to hermanson is they have always had very good stuff. Hermanson use to have dynomite stuff... he was the number three pick in 1994 afterall. Hermanson has lost alot since contrary to his season last year. I never was a huge fan of the signing and didn't think he would do as well as he did last year. Once more i expect a 4+ era... now time for rowand to mention something.

I hope he succeeds but i just cannot see it again especially coming back from his injury and how he was pitching at the end of last season.

Difference is from contreras and politte to hermanson is they have always had very good stuff. Hermanson use to have dynomite stuff... he was the number three pick in 1994 afterall. Hermanson has lost alot since contrary to his season last year. I never was a huge fan of the signing and didn't think he would do as well as he did last year. Once more i expect a 4+ era... now time for rowand to mention something.

I hope he succeeds but i just cannot see it again especially coming back from his injury and how he was pitching at the end of last season.

Agreed. I don't see Hermanson doing what he did last year again. He gives up far too many line shots for more liking. I just remember so many great defensive plays that saved runs when he was pitching. Since he has lost so many MPH on his fastball over the years and doesn't strike out anyone, he's pretty much a groundball/flyball pitcher who depends on the defense playing behind him. And if he starts walking guys, he's f***ed.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 02:09 AM)
I'm worried the most about Contreras, Hermanson, and Politte.  I'm not to worried about Buehrle, Garcia, Vazquez, and Garland.

Are you counting on another 11-15 (4.42 NL ERA) from Javier?

This is the one guy you should be worried about.

I think Hermanson will be a second closer for us. Jenks has trouble on back to back days and will again this year until he gets used to it. This gives Hermanson this opportunity. He was a great closer with the Giants after mving from the rotation. He is no longer a starter and if healthy can be a top notch closer. He had a 21 inning scoreless streak not sure that was an accident. The year before HE was the Giants bullpen that was in it until the end. He was throwing 2 innings almost every day.

He was brought up by the Padres to be their next closer and was dealt to the Expos who needed starting pitching thereby putting him in the role he held for the next ten years. If he is healthy he can be as good as anyone out of the pen and can spell Jenks.

I am not sold on Jenks being able to handle the workload he is not the same guy on the second day and Politte and Cotts are not closers. Also Jenks arm had some issues. Dustin is a great option.

McCarthy is the 6th and 7th / long guy. Politte and Cotts 7th and 8th. Jenks and Hermanson the 9th. When Hermanson wasn't finishing his pitches, lefties lit him up.

The closer situation for the Sox looks in 2006 like it did in 2005. People were wondering if Shingo would be able to continue baffling hitters. He didn't. Now, we're wondering about Jenks. Last year involved a lot of adjustments in the bullpen. Miraculously, we pulled it off. Shingo to Hermanson to Jenks.

Fact is, we really don't know how this year will go...or if one reliever is lights out for a couple of months before another needs to be found.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 07:19 AM)
Dont froget Jenks has screws holding his arm together, there is no telling if that will hold up.

The good bit of news is that screw was put in his arm while he was starting, throwing a lot more pitches, and throwing a wider variety of pitches than he's throwing now. Lately he's been doing 1-2 innings of mostly fastballs, curves, and maybe the occasional change. I believe in ANA's minor leagues he was also throwing some sliders, and was starting, both of which may very well have put more stress on his arm.

But yeah, it's there. Hopefully they did some good work with it and it'll hold up.