Cuban WBC Baseball Team Defections

RME JICO

How many if any will try to defect?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How many if any will try to defect?

• 6 or more
    • 4-5
    • 2-3
    • None, are you crazy?

Now this would be horrible for the league and would cause a whole slew of issues, but do you think there is a remote possibility that any of these elite baseball players will try to defect during the WBC if Cuba gets to the finals in PETCO Park, San Diego? All they have to do is get to the finals of their Pool, which looks likely.

Just curious to see what everyone thinks, but if the Mods find this too offensive or distasteful, please delete and accept my apology in advance.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 03:15 AM)
How is this offensive or distasteful?  Cuba is pretty much a s***hole and there's a reason that these guys defect.  Castro is a f***ing loon.  I hope the best players defect and join the White Sox.  ;)

I just didn't want to offend anyone. I agree with you, I would be defecting the minute I touched down in the US as long as my family was safe.

I just wonder how many teams will be trying to court these guys if they make it to SD.

Just say someone defects, can a team immediately sign them to a contract?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
2-3 will be in cohoots. There's money to be made in the US and they'll go the same route as Livan Hernandez. Just leave their hotel room. I think this will be the first and last time you see the Cuban team in the WBC for that reason alone. Just my personal opinion.

I agree, and it will be interesting to see.

Its not as simple as it sounds. Cuban players don't want to defect the the US per se. They want to become citizens of a central american country that isn't subject to the draft. If they defect directly to the US and try to become citizens here then they are subject to the ML draft and lose their free agent bargaining power. Players aren't nearly as likely to defect here, as to say the Dominican Republic.

I would imagine that Cuba will try to keep an eye on this to minimize the threat. You also might see some of the bigger name young guys staying home, especially Dayan Viciedo, a star 3B who is only 16 if you believe the reports. One guy that I would definitely expect to try it if he gets the chance is Yulieski Gonzalez, a 25 year old lefty that is supposedly one of their aces. I'm sure there are others too, but not all of them want to leave that bad (the Gourriel brothers for one seem intent on staying). It will be interesting because Castro will have conflicting intrests. On the one hand he doesn't want to lose all of his stars to the MLB, on the other hand he wants to put together the best team he can to prove that Cuba is a real baseball haven.

I kind of hope this isn't a major issue, since most of the guys that did defect would probably end up in LA or New York, and the WBC loses a lot of credibility if Cuba drops out. Most experts seem to consider the WBC a borderline joke as it is, that situation would just make it worse.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)
You would have to think that Cuba would have already thought about their players trying to do this.  I would guess that they would try to put something in place to ensure that it does not happen.

What that would be, I have no idea.

Cuba travels with its own security contingent whose whole purpose is to prevent these kind of things from happening.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
I would imagine that Cuba will try to keep an eye on this to minimize the threat. You also might see some of the bigger name young guys staying home, especially Dayan Viciedo, a star 3B who is only 16 if you believe the reports. One guy that I would definitely expect to try it if he gets the chance is Yulieski Gonzalez, a 25 year old lefty that is supposedly one of their aces.

Those are the two I was thinking of. He is 16. Didnt look it in his picture. There is a good article on them in the new ESPN mag.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 09:20 AM)
You would have to think that Cuba would have already thought about their players trying to do this.  I would guess that they would try to put something in place to ensure that it does not happen.

What that would be, I have no idea.

The government probably makes it real clear that all the players families are back in Cuba.

It's been rare, but I'd guess one or two may try. Of course we need to control our borders and keep this from happening. I wouldn't want the next terrorist attack be from some closer with a 100mph fastball just sneaking into the country.

I would think there might be a couple to try and defect, but for the most part they probably won't risk it.

I would guess so too. Even if the player succesfully defeacts, Castro makes life hell on the player's family. Contreras' brother back in Cuba had to quit his job so he could continue talking with Jose, under government orders. He was forced to either quit his job or stop talking to Jose.

Edited by Cuck the Fubs