Mitchell & Ness

Texsox

I love their stuff, and their ad here, but as I was getting ready to order I read

WHITE SOX WIN!!!

After 88 years, the Chicago White Sox have reclaimed the title of World Champions after defeating the Houston Astros in a dramatic 4-game sweep.

Boasting such great names as Tom Seaver, Carlton Fisk, Nellie Fox, and Bo Jackson, the White Sox are finally back where they belong atop Major League Baseball's best teams.

Click here to celebrate with Authentic Mitchell & Ness White Sox Gear.

Tom Seaver! Yes he spent some time on the Southside, but I never considered him anything other than a Met. Hell he was with the Reds for like 5 or 6 seasons.

Jackson? Again, more a sideshow than a mainline player. Great guy, but certainly we could do better.

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
Seaver won #300 with the Sox at Yankee Stadium with a CG so people should recognize him as a Sox player, more so than Steve Carlton, remember that?

In ten years will someone be buying a Frank Thomas Oakland As jersey :crying remembering when he hit 500?

It must be me, I never thought of Tom's Sox career as anything more than a hired arm finishing his career.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
In ten years will someone be buying a Frank Thomas Oakland As jersey  :crying remembering when he hit 500?

It must be me, I never thought of Tom's Sox career as anything more than a hired arm finishing his career.

No, because he won't hit 500 anywhere.

It's just you.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 12:48 PM)
No, because he won't hit 500 anywhere.

It's just you.

I loved watching Tom pitch, but two seasons just doesn't make him more than a "rent a player" to me. Steff, you were 8 years old when he pitched for the Sox :D

And you are probably correct about Frank, but I just can't root against him. I'm still hoping for 500 and a trip to Cooperstown.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 11:50 AM)
I love their stuff, and their ad here, but as I was getting ready to order I read

Tom Seaver! Yes he spent some time on the Southside, but I never considered him anything other than a Met. Hell he was with the Reds for like 5 or 6 seasons.

Jackson? Again, more a sideshow than a mainline player. Great guy, but certainly we could do better.

He was also one of the sox players shown during the 2004 into video. Pretty pathetic.

He played for the Sox accomplished something very cool for them. That milestone was a great moment in White Sox history as was Bo Jackson's homer in the clincher in 94. Great moments. The White Sox are not erecting monumets or anything, should he be part of a historical recount of the White Sox, yes. As should Ivan Calderon standing on the top of the wall at Tiger Stadium making a catch and Daryl Boston diving headlong into the seats. These are moments and players in White Sox history. If George Foster hit his 500th homer it would be a hi-lite.

Come on.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)
I loved watching Tom pitch, but two seasons just doesn't make him more than a "rent a player" to me. Steff, you were 8 years old when he pitched for the Sox  :D

And you are probably correct about Frank, but I just can't root against him. I'm still hoping for 500 and a trip to Cooperstown.

lol...

But as was mentioned, it's self-advertisement. They're playing up the jerseys that they sell, and those are the players that they have.

On a side note, I saw a bunch of M&N jerseys being sold at discount stores for 50 bucks (reg. price 250-300) because they were defective...and they only had 2-4XL. They looked fine to me, but keep a watchful eye if not purchasing directly from one of their official stores, I guess.

The number color scheme on the '85 Seaver jersey looks wrong. I only remember them having Navy one-color block numbers on those jerseys, home and away. I don't think they ever deviated to red and navy. I've looked for photos online and found nothing from that season that would confirm or deny. And didn't the '83 versions have a circular 6/46 patch on the right sleeve and the 50th Anniversary All-Star Game patch on the left? (Or maybe the 6/46 patch wasn't until '84. What it meant has long escaped me.)

What's funny is that I remember as a kid thinking those pullover jerseys they wore from '82-86 were at the height of fashion, but it didn't take long for me to change my mind on how ugly they are. I think it's hilarious that they are being made, sold, and bought for over $300, especially since most of the time the Sox spent wearing those jerseys they had seasons not worth remembering. But if everything else in the 1980s is again cool...

The butterfly-collar "Chicago" jerseys, however, have a certain retro-chic and wouldn't mind wearing one, but not for what they're going for.

Then there were the "White Sox" script unis that were so plain they were forgettable, including the 'e' caps that Eddie Einhorn must have had something to do with. But if you have three bills, you can remember Frank's 1990 rookie season.

I forgave all fashion faux-pas when the Sox unveiled their current silver and black. The most perfect neo-classic aesthetic. They led all MLB teams in merchandising for at least that first year. The Sunday Blacks were so popular everyone else had to have a third jersey. Teams like the Mets, Royals, Reds, and Rangers all started putting black into their color schemes. I'm acutely purist, and as such I think the addition of black for most teams looks out of place if not excessive and ugly.

I hope they stick with their silver and blacks for a long while. For a team that has endured more (ugly) uniform changes than any other major league team, they really got it right with what they've been wearing for the last 15 years.

Good post. I've never really liked the early 1980 jerseys. I think the logo's cool, but I don't think I own a piece of merchandise with the logo.

I really like our jerseys right now. I have trouble picking a favorite of our current variations. I hope these jerseys are our permanent ones now. I don't see the need for new jerseys every few years or what not.

I understand it brings in money, but teams like the Yankees haven't had problem pushing merchandise with the same product they've had since the beginning.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 06:37 PM)
Good post.  I've never really liked the early 1980 jerseys.  I think the logo's cool, but I don't think I own a piece of merchandise with the logo. 

I have Seaver's jersey from the 300th game signed by him and Fisk. By far my fav item.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 01:02 PM)
I loved watching Tom pitch, but two seasons just doesn't make him more than a "rent a player" to me. Steff, you were 18 years old when he pitched for the Sox  :D

You forgot a decade. :P

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 06:16 PM)
I bought a 1980 navy blue road jersey with 72 on back with big butterfly collar from them, price was high but quality was A++ :gosoxretro:

LMFAO!

Fisk didn't join the Sox until 1981. M & N needs to work on their research because they also offer a Matt Stark Sox throwback jersey.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 05:37 PM)
Good post.  I've never really liked the early 1980 jerseys.  I think the logo's cool, but I don't think I own a piece of merchandise with the logo. 

I really like our jerseys right now.  I have trouble picking a favorite of our current variations.  I hope these jerseys are our permanent ones now.  I don't see the need for new jerseys every few years or what not.

I understand it brings in money, but teams like the Yankees haven't had problem pushing merchandise with the same product they've had since the beginning.

The only reason I really have any sort of fondness for that logo is that is what they had when I was a kid, with both the butterfly collar and pullover red and blue striped jerseys. I had a heather gray t-shirt with that logo in the center of it and a cap waiting for me from my dad when we moved back from Kansas City when I was about 5 or 6.

With their current jerseys, I've always been about the road gray and even moreso now that it was what they wore on the field when they put the Astros away. The vests are pretty sweet too.

The Yankees haven't had a problem selling merchandise because wins grease the wheels of consumerism just as slick graphics do. I remember, though, that when the San Jose Sharks debuted for the 1991-92 season, their color scheme of teal and black was decided upon when the marketing department researched what shades of blue sell best, and teal was tops. Put black with it, men buy it too. Put silver with it and it's that much cooler. Stores were backordered on Sharks gear for months and the team sucked ass.

Am I ever glad that Reinsdorf did not go down that route. The Diamondbacks uniforms look like they were an art project at the summer camp for gay fat kids.