Anyone else love the versatile bench?

Allsox

Assuming Ozzie goes with 11 pitchers, the bench of 5 includes:

Mackowiak - Can play 3B, 2B, CF and a solid lefty bat

Ozuna - Can play a little 3B, SS, OF and steal a base in the pinch (Gm 2 of ALCS proved that)

Widger - Gives AJ a breather, can turn on a fastball and handles pitching staff well

Gload - Can spell Paulie at 1B, Dye in RF and is another lefty bat

Borchard - If he has good spring, I can definitely see Oz and Kenny bringing him back to Chi to backup the OF and provide some real pop from both sides of the plate in a pinch....

We've all seen Ozzie loves to play the bench as much as possible so for this yr, I won't mind seeing the Sun lineup with those guys playing here and there....What does everyone else think? :gosox1:

QUOTE(smalls2598 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
please keep Gload as far away from the OF as possible.

Why do you not speak of highly of Gload in the OF ?

Last season, he wasn't able to play out there because of the shoulder surgury, and the year before, he ended up playing 1B most of the time.

Yes, 1B is his natural position, but if has to fill in once a week for Dye, I'm fine with that.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
Why do you not speak of highly of Gload in the OF ?

Last season, he wasn't able to play out there because of the shoulder surgury, and the year before, he ended up playing 1B most of the time.

Yes, 1B is his natural position, but if has to fill in once a week for Dye, I'm fine with that.

Do you remember him in the OF in '04? He was f***ing pathetic, he lucked clueless out there and any ball hit to him was an adventure, I personally never want to see him out there Mack and Borch can play LF, CF or RF just fine.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)
Do you remember him in the OF in '04? He was f***ing pathetic, he lucked clueless out there and any ball hit to him was an adventure

The white Timo Perez!

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
I'm with you there. I'm a little surprised he's still here.

Someone asked why he didn't play much last season at Soxfest and Ozzie said he was hurt then he and KW pretty much pushed the conversation along. I think Ozzie even said "We didn't need him," when asked why Gload didn't play much when the person asked why he didn't play when healthy.

My interpretation: HE GONE!

The funny part of the whole thing to me was that some idiot actually wasted his question on Gload. We just won a World Series and you're complaining at the lack of PT for Gload.

Edited by aboz56

Personally, if you ask me about our bench, I'm just happy that we've upgraded the abilities of the people on it. Mack, Ozuna, Borch >> Ozuna, Harris, Perez.

Just having better guys when Ozzie plays the infamous "Sunday Lineup" will probably win us a few more games. Especially considering how often Ozzie plays his backups.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
Personally, if you ask me about our bench, I'm just happy that we've upgraded the abilities of the people on it.  Mack, Ozuna, Borch >> Ozuna, Harris, Perez.

Just having better guys when Ozzie plays the infamous "Sunday Lineup" will probably win us a few more games.  Especially considering how often Ozzie plays his backups.

Mac and Ozuna coming off the bench as primaries are 100000000000000% better than Timo and Harris.

This years group 4 >> last years group 4.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
This years group 4 >> last years group 4.

On paper, I will agree with you. I think this group 4 has to prove to me that they can help win another world series before I wholeheartedly agree that This years group 4 >> last years group 4

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)
We have no right handed power off the bench.  That is my only real concern about the bench.  Other than that its great and versatile, I love how many multi-position players we have.

Borchard is at least a switch hitter.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
Personally, if you ask me about our bench, I'm just happy that we've upgraded the abilities of the people on it.  Mack, Ozuna, Borch >> Ozuna, Harris, Perez.

Just having better guys when Ozzie plays the infamous "Sunday Lineup" will probably win us a few more games.  Especially considering how often Ozzie plays his backups.

I LOVE THE SUNDAY LINEUP!

Mackowiak alone makes the bench better than most in the league. Not many bench players have played in 297 games in the last 2 years.

Ozuna gives the Sox a legitimate base stealing threat off the bench; Widger plays very solid for a backup; and Borchard should fill in nicely.

That last spot will probably be decided in ST.

There will definitely be less of a fall off of performance this year when the bench players are in. Saying that, the bench last year did what they were asked to do most of the time and they definitely contributed to the WS Championship.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 02:40 AM)
Mackowiak alone makes the bench better than most in the league.  Not many bench players have played in 297 games in the last 2 years. 

Ozuna gives the Sox a legitimate base stealing threat off the bench; Widger plays very solid for a backup; and Borchard should fill in nicely. 

That last spot will probably be decided in ST.

There will definitely be less of a fall off of performance this year when the bench players are in.  Saying that, the bench last year did what they were asked to do most of the time and they definitely contributed to the WS Championship.

I'd love to see that last roster spot go to somebody that could catch some. With only two catchers Oz has to hesitate PH'ing for Widge and putting his only other catcher in the game, so they eat some bad matchups. This would also open the option of DH'ing AJ when Kong needs a day off and Thome plays 1B.

I don't see anyone in camp who fits, but it would be nice to find, say an older guy who can pinch hit and survive a couple innings behind the plate and on the corners.