Don't run from the cops...

Steff

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
I'll agree that running is dumb, but I am thinking there will be a lawsuit. It seemed a little extreme to me.

I am in no way defending their actions because he ran. Did he deserve to be taken by force.. yes. But to be kicked and punched on by 4 cops... uhh.. no. Lawsuit for sure.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 01:15 PM)
After the commercial is the footage..

Sigh... why eye.. why are you so difficult...???  :lolhitting

I'm telling you, it's just a Cadilac commercial for me. No footage afterward. I do have a funny desire to go buy a caddy, though.

I saw this footage on CNN last night, this clip is missing out on the car chase. The Cops had to bash in his car to get him to stop, then he ran, then they became a lynch mob.

When I saw this, all I could think was "How can these cops think that they arent being videotaped? How dumb are they?" And when they had the guy down another cop ran up and started stomping and kicking. Bad judgement isnt restricted to the bad guy in this case.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
I saw this footage on CNN last night, this clip is missing out on the car chase.  The Cops had to bash in his car to get him to stop, then he ran, then they became a lynch mob. 

When I saw this, all I could think was "How can these cops think that they arent being videotaped?  How dumb are they?"  And when they had the guy down another cop ran up and started stomping and kicking.  Bad judgement isnt restricted to the bad guy in this case.

Adrenaline, my friend. You'd be surprised what words and actions want to burst forth when you're in a situation like that. It takes a lot of self-discipline, training and management to keep people from lighting off like that. A lot of cops don't have enough of those tools to stay in line.

You can blame it on a combination of poor selection of police officers (guys making it on the force who shouldn't), poor training, poor management and poor job conditions. And most of all, you can blame it on the cops themselves. This guy could have killed five people, and that's still no excuse for that beating. Yeah, that's a tough position to be in, but if you can't handle the responsibilities, then go do something else.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Down here starting pay is about $25,000 per year, plus a small uniform allowance. Anyone that has ever chased their puppy when he got out of the yard will understand the emotion of wanting to knowck the piss out of the person you are chasing.

I have no problem with it...

When the guy stopped moving they stopped...works for me. If he is still on the ground fighting and squirming those cops don't know if he has a gun somwhere or a knife. He did just endanger hundreds of peoples lives with his chase, including the lives of the cops....what's to say he isn't armed??

If he had put his hands on his head or behind his back or something...then that's one thing...but I see his arms flailing around....so f*** him.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 03:01 PM)
I have no problem with it...

When the guy stopped moving they stopped...works for me.  If he is still on the ground fighting and squirming those cops don't know if he has a gun somwhere or a knife.  He did just endanger hundreds of peoples lives with his chase, including the lives of the cops....what's to say he isn't armed??

If he had put his hands on his head or behind his back or something...then that's one thing...but I see his arms flailing around....so f*** him.

Unfortunately, some cops obviously see it as you do. I personally think law enforcement officers are justifiably expected to be above such reprisals. If he's flailing, you act against that. Kicking and punching he guy in a circle around him is not any part of good DT or arrest training. Its retribution, and it shouldn't be tolerated.

Now, I also believe cops should make a lot more thatn 25k a year, given what they do for their communities. If you paid them better, treated them better and set a higher bar for entry, you'd have better cops. It's pretty simple.