Total Gym vs Bowflex

Steff

The unit I have now is getting boring, and I'm not one for the gym.

Any thoughts, pros, cons on one or the other?

And how much space do they take up. Bowflex looks like it takes up a lot, but the website doesn't tell me specifics.

TIA folks.

I have a Total Gym and I love it but you need to be aware that you must: use it on carpet and have a long room as it is like 8 1/2 ft long when fully spread out. It is more valuable for the money, but if money is not an issue, than the Bowflex is the way to go.

Bowflex takes up a s***load of space and really imo it's an awkward machine to use, just doesn't feel right for people that are used to using free weights but that's obviously just me. My recommendation would be the total gym, not that, that counts for anything. ;)

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 10:15 PM)
Eww....TMI.

Old ladies are hard to please I guess. :P

Absolutely.. :P

We have a Weider 7 station thing now. The cords have over time become loose and the butterfly thing doesn't work like it used to. I want something to work my legs differently. I've heard pros for both, but not enough either way to pull the trigger. The one advantage I have heard over and over again is that the Total is easy to open and close where the Bowflex pretty much has to stay open. That correct..?

The last resort will be to just join the new YMCA they are opening in Plainfield. The charter membership is a bit high.. but it includes sessions with a personal trainer which I would probably end up doing soon anyway.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
My step mom has tried both and preferred total gym.  I've never used total gym, but I used a bowflex a few times and it just felt awkward compared to free weights.

The total gym seems even more strange. At least the bowflex allows you to do normal excercises.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 08:30 AM)
The total gym seems even more strange.  At least the bowflex allows you to do normal excercises.

Hence the fact I've never done anything on it. I looked at and got all confused not knowing what the hell I was supposed to do on it.

She says it works good though so what do I know.