Is he or isn't he?????

juddling

EWING - Howard Stern, move over.

The "King of All Media" has been known for comedy and smut and fines. But, most of all, he has always been known for telling the truth at all costs and putting his listeners first.

Yesterday afternoon, local radio star Craig Carton took the ball and ran with it.

Advertisement

With a rare celebrity guest in the local studio, Carton shrugged off the politically correct line of questioning and zeroed in on the one topic that was bound to cause a fuss with Ryan Seacrest, the host of the No. 1 television show in the nation, "American Idol."

After a minute or two of niceties, Carton asked Seacrest whom he’d rather spend the night with, past "Idol" singers Clay Aiken or Kelly Clarkson.

Then, after Seacrest deflected the question by saying that both "Idol" personalities were very talented, Carton stopped mincing words.

"Ryan," Carton said, "Are you gay?"

Silence.

"Ryan, are you a homosexual?"

With that, Seacrest was headed for the door.

"I can’t stay here, man," Seacrest said. "I gotta jet."

The "American Idol" star stormed out of the studio and into the NJ-101.5 offices, but he was coaxed back into the studio with the understanding that the rest of the interview would center on the television show and not on his personal life.

"This was supposed to be about the show, about ‘American Idol,’" Seacrest said when he returned to the air.

Co-host Ray Rossi, an admitted "Idol" fan, was ready to move on, but Carton wouldn’t let up.

"Are you gonna walk out again if I ask you about it?" Carton asked Seacrest.

"Absolutely. I’m outta here," said Seacrest.

Immediately, Carton asked "Are you gay?" "You know," Seacrest said, "I don’t know why I trusted you."

And, again, Seacrest was out the door, this time for good.

Then, for the better part of the next two hours, Carton and Rossi, known as "The Jersey Guys," kept replaying the two Seacrest interviews.

They also kept replaying one listener’s phoned-in comments, where she called Carton "a hate-mongering Jew."

They even added special effects to that comment, adding an echo over the last word as they replayed it over and over again.

"I’m the one who should be offended here," said Carton, who said of Seacrest: "I think he’s probably a good guy. I don’t know if he’s gay or not, I just know he wouldn’t answer the question."

Last night’s "Idol" was part of the show’s fifth season, and Seacrest has been host for the entire run.

Insert your own joke here......

QUOTE(farmteam @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 10:48 PM)
There's a fine line between "Hard Hitting Journalism" and "Overstepping Boundaries", and he went over it, IMO.

That he did.

But, hell, Ryan missed the opportunity of a lifetime to look at the jock, wink, and scream, "SEACREST OUT!!" :D

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 12:14 AM)
Craig Carton is trying to be the next Howard Stern. His show can be funny, but he straddles the line a bit too snugly imho.

He's got talent, but he's going to f*** it up for himself at some point.

Mr. Kickass, would you rather spend the night with, past "Idol" singers Clay Aiken or Kelly Clarkson? :P

In all honesty though, with all the homophobic accusations that the show, and Simon and Seacrest, have been under for the past few years, it is a valid topic of discussion. Especially considering that there were questions about the two of them. But then there should be a better way of asking.

But since this is all a gag to begin with, it's a pretty good bit of promotion the show just pulled off.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 09:24 AM)
Here's my question:

Why does anyone listen to these irritating shock jocks to begin with?  I don't get it.  I just don't see the appeal of listening to a bunch of hateful adolescents insulting everyone and everything.

Didn't you see "Private Parts"?

There's a line in there from the station manager about Stern's listeners:

Something like:

"40% love him because they want to see what he's going to do next. 50% hate him and continue to listen because they want to see what he's going to do next."