SMASHING PUMPKINS REBORN!

Balta1701

Ahem...(clears throat)...YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!

Link

In the clearest sign yet that    Billy Corgan is reviving seminal alternative rock band Smashing Pumpkins, sources say he and Pumpkins drummer Jimmy Chamberlin are set to begin work on a new studio album.

Original members  James Iha (guitar) and D'arcy Wretzky (bass), recent targets of Corgan's venom, are not participating in the reunion at this point. But sources say multi-instrumentalist Billy Mohler will be involved in some fashion. Mohler formerly played bass in pop/rock act the Calling and contributed to Chamberlin's 2005 solo album, "Life Begins Again."

"As long as Billy has Jimmy, he can make the essential Pumpkins record, I'm sure," former Pumpkins bassist Melissa Auf Der Maur told Billboard.com, adding that while she is not involved in any reunion plans, "my services are always there to play my favorite songs. If D'arcy is not available, I'm always happy to be second in line."

When asked for comment, a Corgan spokesperson said there was no information to report at present.

Corgan has also signed a new management deal with rock impresario Irving Azoff's Front Line Management. He broke up the band at the end of 2000, the year the band released its final album, "MACHINA/the machines of god."

The Pumpkins are expected to hit the road at some point this year, although a rumored appearance at southern California's Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in late April will not materialize. The group's name is already being kicked around as a possible headliner for Lollapalooza, which is set for August 4-6 in its Chicago hometown.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 12:31 AM)
Corgan is a Cub-loving, Sox hating loser.

But the Pumpkins were a great group.

That said, without James and D'Arcy, it's not going to be the Pumpkins. What was the band Corgan and Chamberlain put together after MACHINA? I saw them once on Letterman, and it seemed really forced and flat.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 05:52 AM)
But the Pumpkins were a great group.

That said, without James and D'Arcy, it's not going to be the Pumpkins.  What was the band Corgan and Chamberlain put together after MACHINA?  I saw them once on Letterman, and it seemed really forced and flat.

yar...i heard they got D'arcy thou...still...no Iha no pumpkinds. He wrote mayonaise yo

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 01:16 AM)
A Zwan reunion isn't a Smashing Pumpkins record - even with the name "Smashing Pumpkins."

They need James (more than Darcy IMHO) Iha to even come close.

I agree James is the more critical piece. But I've always had an unhealthy obsession with girl bassists in general (Oooh, that Rose from Poster Children back in the day. . . :wub: ), so I'm holding out for all four.

It doesn't matter who backs Billy. From what I heard, the Pumpkins were pretty much The Billy Corgan Experience anyway. He's a legendary control freak, who allegedly grew so impatient with his band mates, that he played everything on their first two records. Iha and D'arcy were along to give the band a more 'eclectic' image. They have a chick bassist and an Asian guitar player, they must be 'alternative'. What have those two done since leaving that band? Iha is in A Perfect Circle :headshake . I'm not defending Billy, I just don't think it'll matter who the rest of the band is if they're gonna play Pumpkins songs.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 10:30 AM)
It doesn't matter who backs Billy.  From what I heard, the Pumpkins were pretty much The Billy Corgan Experience anyway.  He's a legendary control freak, who allegedly grew so impatient with his band mates, that he played everything on their first two records.  Iha and D'arcy were along to give the band a more 'eclectic' image.  They have a chick bassist and an Asian guitar player, they must be 'alternative'.  What have those two done since leaving that band?  Iha is in A Perfect Circle  :headshake .  I'm not defending Billy, I just don't think it'll matter who the rest of the band is if they're gonna play Pumpkins songs.

I get what you're saying, and sure the true talent and vision is in Corgan. I'd just rather see him either put back the lineup of do something new and not cash in on the old band name and their past success.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
It doesn't matter who backs Billy.  From what I heard, the Pumpkins were pretty much The Billy Corgan Experience anyway.  He's a legendary control freak, who allegedly grew so impatient with his band mates, that he played everything on their first two records.  Iha and D'arcy were along to give the band a more 'eclectic' image.  They have a chick bassist and an Asian guitar player, they must be 'alternative'.  What have those two done since leaving that band?  Iha is in A Perfect Circle  :headshake .  I'm not defending Billy, I just don't think it'll matter who the rest of the band is if they're gonna play Pumpkins songs.

Not an APC fan? I think i'd prefer to listen to them over the Billy Corgan Show.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)
Not an APC fan? I think i'd prefer to listen to them over the Billy Corgan Show.

I saw APC only because The Mars Volta was opening for them. I'm not a fan of APC, but at least Iha looked like he having fun onstage for the 1st time ever. He and D'Arcy always looked like they wanted to die when they were onstage with Corgan. Hmmm, I wonder why?