Dave Chapelle on Oprah

MurcieOne

My wife was trying to tell me what he said, but it sounded like a lot of double-speak.

The two things I could gather from what she told me were:

Dave never really answered the question of why he "vanished" or whatever.

and

He thinks he wants to return to the show.

Ultimately, I don't really care. The time away has cooled me on him, and the show.

If he were to accept the 50 million dollar contract Comedy Central offered, I believe he would be obligated to create four or five more seasons. There must be an underlying reason why he wouldn't accept this. He can't possibly enjoy stand-up comedy enough to pass on 50 mil.

Perhaps Chapelle stood back and realized there was no way he could top the first two seasons. All his 'A' material had already been used, and the thought of creating another several seasons was too much.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
If he were to accept the 50 million dollar contract Comedy Central offered, I believe he would be obligated to create four or five more seasons. There must be an underlying reason why he wouldn't accept this. He can't possibly enjoy stand-up comedy enough to pass on 50 mil.

Perhaps Chapelle stood back and realized there was no way he could top the first two seasons. All his 'A' material had already been used, and the thought of creating another several seasons was too much.

I'm not 100% sure about this, so does anyone know the real story with him and his writing partner?

I've heard a few different stories, but what I kind of gathered was his writing partner (he's on the "Who knows black people" type skit) made a significant contribution to the show (maybe not quite 50/50, but pretty high) and they had a falling out and Chapelle kind of realized it would be hard to match the first 2 seasons without him.

This could just be from the crazy rumor mill that resulted after he walked out, not sure.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 05:18 PM)
I'm not 100% sure about this, so does anyone know the real story with him and his writing partner? 

I've heard a few different stories, but what I kind of gathered was his writing partner (he's on the "Who knows black people" type skit) made a significant contribution to the show (maybe not quite 50/50, but pretty high) and they had a falling out and Chapelle kind of realized it would be hard to match the first 2 seasons without him.

This could just be from the crazy rumor mill that resulted after he walked out, not sure.

Supposedly, Chappelle said he would be open to doing the rest of season three provided he could keep the dvd revenues and have more control over overall enviornment surrounding the making of the show.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)
My wife was trying to tell me what he said, but it sounded like a lot of double-speak.

The two things I could gather from what she told me were:

Dave never really answered the question of why he "vanished" or whatever.

and

He thinks he wants to return to the show.

Ultimately, I don't really care. The time away has cooled me on him, and the show.

My moms watching it and she's like deaf (not really but the volume is on max) and he said something about being willing to go back to comedy central. Thats about the only part of the whole thing I heard.

I despise day time TV with a passion.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
Here's what really happened:  Chapelle Theory

It was actually feasible for the first several months--If you ignore the absence of quotes (w/sources) and the remarkable ability of the author to have people available who overhear conversations between prominent black leaders.

I haven't completed the entire timeline yet, but after the supposed voodoo doll was dropped off at Chapelle's house, I'm just interested to see where the story leads.

That last clip seems to me his honesty about the whole situation coming out. Especially when he says "It was the first time I ever got a laugh I was uncomfortable with."

We all needed a break from Chappelle as much as he needed a break from us. When he comes back full force, I think he is gonna blow us away. I still love his humor, and I am glad every other guy in the bar isnt going to be saying "What?", Or "OK!" every 15 seconds.