Chicago has 5 of 20 worst bottlenecks

southsider2k5

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 02:30 PM)
where Interstates 90/94 and 290 meet -- is ranked fourth-worst in the nation.

i believe it

that is almost always backed up

Almost.... when is it not..? It's even backed up on Sunday mornings!

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
You got that right sista.  Althought it really just moved the traffic down a little bit.  Its still better.

It wouldn't be so bad if not for the stupid left side on and off ramps.. :bang

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
It wouldn't be so bad if not for the stupid left side on and off ramps..  :bang

You know how much I hate those. Can you imaine that city planner's meeting? Umm yeah I has this idea. Lets make the freeway exits on the left side, and then eliminate a lane when they exit. It wont hurt traffic flow to have people constantly merging to the right.

Chicago area commuting is even worse when you factor in the absurd number of railroad crossings. Atleast on the Southside it is. Suppose it's the price you pay for being the central hub of all railway traffic.

I recall an article where 3 or 4 of the top five delays due to freight line interference occured around Chicago. Blue Island's two tracks on 127th, near Eisenhower High School, were rated the worst in the nation.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 02:30 PM)
Chicago area commuting is even worse when you factor in the absurd number of railroad crossings. Atleast on the Southside it is. Suppose it's the price you pay for being the central hub of all railway traffic. 

I recall an article where 3 or 4 of the top five delays due to freight line interference occured around Chicago. Blue Island's two tracks on 127th, near Eisenhower High School, were rated the worst in the nation.

A lot of those railcrossings happen in a small area because of the lake...if anything wants to come from the Eastern U.S. to go to the Northwest, it basically has to run just south of Lake Michigan. That's one of the reasons why there are so many interstate highways running through NW Indiana too.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)

I used to live in the 127th and Pulaski area.. never failed.. I always got caught at those damn tracks going west on 127th towards Cicero. Right now we have a freighter that crosses just east of 59 and 126 in Plainfield. Usually not too long, but God help you if you do get caught by the long one... I swear it's 25 to 30 minutes..

I see my area of Atlanta is on the list 4 times, because of the worst Interstate designs ever in I-285 all of the major interchanges I-75 being the worst because of the design it is a sharp curve only one lane exit and I-75 is considered the gate way to Florida. The other ones I-85 and I-20 were not built to meet the growth both intersections were built in the 1970's.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 11:35 PM)
millions of hours of delay and cost trucking companies more than $223 million a year."

Yeah, the government says it can't afford more highway construction to alleviate the congestion. I wonder if companies could "charge" the government for their costs (i.e., $223 million) for doing business in/through our city, if that tune would change. After all, Daley et al. justify their fees and taxes by saying that they're just handing on the costs of companies doing business in the city.

Hmmmmm, none here. But I will say we have one jam every year that would rival any of the worse in the nation. There is one highway on and off South Padre Island. Two lanes on and two lanes off. During Spring Break, everyone hits the bridge at the same time. It is not uncommon to have a 3-4 hour stall to cross the 2 mile bridge. Two years I've watched it from the beach and laughed. What gets nasty is all the people drinking a few beers while they wait, then needing to relieve themselves. No place to hide on a bridge.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 10:35 PM)
Holy crap -

"It says Chicago-area traffic tie-ups cause millions of hours of delay and cost trucking companies more than $223 million a year."

And from working in the industry, I would say that's a low estimate...