UN honors Generalisimo Chavez.......

NUKE_CLEVELAND

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,183792,00.html

Well lets see here.

-The UN has countries like Syria, Cuba and Zimbabwe on its council on human rights

-They squander the money they get from us on bribes to dictators like Saddam Hussein

-They blow off a meeting chaired by Ambassador Bolton to explore ways to reform

-They hand out awards to men like Generalisimo Chavez for "uniting Latin America". He then calls for the fall of the United States government in his acceptance speech.

We need to stop funding the UN until they clean up their act. If they dont want to clean up their act then they should be kicked out of New York. It'd be a lot more fitting for this corrupt, hypocritical organization if they set up shop in one of these tin pot dictatorship countries they seem to love so much.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 02:36 PM)
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,183792,00.html

Well lets see here. 

-The UN has countries like Syria, Cuba and Zimbabwe on its council on human rights

-They squander the money they get from us on bribes to dictators like Saddam Hussein

-They blow off a meeting chaired by Ambassador Bolton  to explore ways to reform

-They hand out awards to men like Generalisimo Chavez for "uniting Latin America".  He then calls for the fall of the United States government in his acceptance speech.

We need to stop funding the UN until they clean up their act.  If they dont want to clean up their act then they should be kicked out of New York.  It'd be a lot more fitting for this corrupt, hypocritical organization if they set up shop in one of these tin pot dictatorship countries they seem to love so much.

I actually agree with most of this. The UN is awfully good at embarrassing itself, and its corrput as hell. I think it could do great things, if it didn't spend so much time tripping all over itself. Its amazing the countries that get their time on the human rights committee.

The one part I'd disagree about is Bolton's "meeting" request. Bolton is a walking nightmare - racist, sexist and out of control. I wouldn't go to a meeting he requested either. Hey wait, maybe this is why he was sent to the UN - he fits in so well!

They didn't blow off the meeting, they just showed up late.

United States makes the U.N. work, when it wants it to work.

-John Bolton

I guess not Mr.Bolton.

It's impossible to imagine the type of people at the UN always getting along with people like Bolton.

Edited by KipWellsFan

If by cleaning up the UN you mean eliminating waste, corruption, etc. then I agree 100%

If you mean they should agree with everything any single country wants, including the US, then I disagree.

We are a super power and rank third in world population, but I don't think the UN functions very well if they just rubber stamp anything we want, or the Chinese want, or that India wants, etc.

There are countries we want eliminated, and their are countries that want to eliminate us. The UN should be one vehicle to resolve these things peacefully. That can only happen if countries are free to make pronouncments like Chavez just did. And I assume his view did not come as a surprise to anyone with an internet connection and a brain.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Feb 4, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)
:huh

uhhhh, wha?  jumping to some conclusions there?

Do you remember when he was being put into his position, all the uproar over his workplace harrassment? I'd have to go find the links, but he did and said some obscene things in his previous jobs. That, plus the fact that he has openly endorsed the US pulling out of the UN, are why people were so upset at the choice.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 03:27 AM)
If by cleaning up the UN you mean eliminating waste, corruption, etc. then I agree 100%

If you mean they should agree with everything any single country wants, including the US, then I disagree.

We are a super power and rank third in world population, but I don't think the UN functions very well if they just rubber stamp anything we want, or the Chinese want, or that India wants, etc.

There are countries we want eliminated, and their are countries that want to eliminate us. The UN should be one vehicle to resolve these things peacefully. That can only happen if countries are free to make pronouncments like Chavez just did. And I assume his view did not come as a surprise to anyone with an internet connection and a brain.

Just to clarify, I wouldn't want to eliminate any country from the UN. They all need a chair at the table. I just think that some countries' human rights records are so obviously disgusting, that there is no reason why they need to be given "their turn" on that particular committee. That placement should be earned, and voted on by a majority of countries (not a select few).

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)
Just to clarify, I wouldn't want to eliminate any country from the UN.  They all need a chair at the table.  I just think that some countries' human rights records are so obviously disgusting, that there is no reason why they need to be given "their turn" on that particular committee.  That placement should be earned, and voted on by a majority of countries (not a select few).

How about one man, one vote for the UN? Those that dislike the electoral College for American Presidents, would you agree to allow China and India a billion plus votes each?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)
How about one man, one vote for the UN? Those that dislike the electoral College for American Presidents, would you agree to allow China and India a billion plus votes each?

When (if?) it becomes technologically practical and economically feasible to actually get those votes on major issues and representation, then yes. Until then, another method will have to suffice.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 12:02 PM)
Just to clarify, I wouldn't want to eliminate any country from the UN.  They all need a chair at the table.  I just think that some countries' human rights records are so obviously disgusting, that there is no reason why they need to be given "their turn" on that particular committee.  That placement should be earned, and voted on by a majority of countries (not a select few).

I think this would be a good time to note that something similar to what you are describing was what Kofi Annan was hoping to accomplish with his Human Rights Commission reform plan.

That, however, is not what Bolton tried to do with it. Bolton has, once again, managed to take the negotiations over this reform issue and stalemate it by insisting on the permanent 5 members of the Security Council each getting a guaranteed seat on the new HRC and most likely some sort of veto there as well.

Basically of course, this would make it almost impossible for any criticism to happen of any of the countries on the new council, because if the U.S. wanted to file a complaint against China, the Chinese could just stop it, or could respond by filing some sort of complaint against the U.S.