How to catch a predator

Steff

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 02:53 PM)
For those interested.. tonight is the 3rd installment of a series they call the "Peodphile alert". The format is like an undercover sting operation. The previous ones have been very informative.

No thanks, I don't like how I look on camera.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
How often do sites like myspace.com come up in these reports?

For those who missed it, what were the first two about? I can use all the help I can get protecting my three little girls.

I was about how this group volunteers it's time to help catch predators.

Just got done watching it... unreal how some of those asshole who are REGISTERED SEX OFFENDERS are out just doing their thing. One guy was a CONVICTED RAPIST.. how cool, eh? Why is he NOT behind bars...? And the school teacher.. back to work 2 days after (though he was suspended and cert revoked eventually). Simply amazing. :headshake

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11152602/

I suggest watching these videos. The sting operation in this exclusive is really amazing. I am really surprised that they got these sexual predators to sit down and be candid right after they got busted. And the jobs that these guys have, well they arent just poor scumbags off the street, teachers and federal investigators. Really shocking.

My friend at work was telling me about this just this morning. We came to the subject that I posted on message boards, but not on chat rooms. It amazed me just how sick these perverts are to go and look for a certain address and then get busted.

Boy Scouts of America has a couple excellent DVDs and discussion guides that are age appropriate for 7-10 year olds and 11-13 and 14-up. It is scary how ill prepared kids are to recognize, resist, and report. Many Scout units do not offer that training, if your child is in a Pack, Troop, Crew, or Post, ask to run the training. You may also ask at your local Council center if they will loan the DVDs to community groups.

What has worried me the past couple years is all the focus has been on Catholic Priests, teaching kids, without causing anxiety, that a predator can be anyone, is important.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 09:42 AM)
When people get busted for soliciting a prostitue or looking for kids in sting operations, why is not considered entrapment?

I think the difference in this situation is the log of the conversation. I think the predator has to solicit them for sex or strongly hint at it before an arrest can be made. Alot of the guys who were interviewed sent the "fake" pictures of their genitals and were talking about what they were going to do with the 13 year old before they even came over. And at one point in the series, Chris Hansen said the explicit conversations on the internet were worth only a misdemeanor, but if they came over to the house looking for sex they were going to get busted for felony solicitation of a minor.

I think they walk a pretty fine line, but the record of the internet conversation is the key.

Edited by kyyle23