Jeff Weaver to the Angels?

SSH2005

http://www.halosheaven.com/story/2006/2/4/3125/34708

Pitcher Jeff Weaver is an Angel. The ink is dry.

No specifics, but I got a call from my most trusted source saying all the rumors are true, the hometown discount applies (albeit with an incentive-laden two-year deal) - that the geography won out for the Halos and the older brother of Jered told BoBo Boras to back off.

You will hear about Monday everywhere else as Stoneman scrambles over the weekend to adjust the 40-Man roster.

UPDATE: Let this strengthen suspicions about the Manny trade being on the front burner.

Kelvim Escobar, Steven Shell and Juan Rivera to Boston is the latest...

I guess we will see if this guy has any credibility on Monday.

It would be interesting to see a Weaver/Weaver combination.

UPDATE: Let this strengthen suspicions about the Manny trade being on the front burner.

Kelvim Escobar, Steven Shell and Juan Rivera to Boston is the latest...

That would be a horrible deal for Boston.

Maybe this guy DOES have sources. Buster Olney is also reporting the rumors...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...buster#20060205

• Rumors are flying that Jeff Weaver is on the verge of signing a deal with the Angels, a move which would allow them to shift Hector Carrasco into the bullpen. As Mark Simon of ESPN research notes, Weaver hasn't exactly thrived against AL West teams:

Still think it would be a good signing, if the obligation is for no more than two years.

• 2 weeks later...

Angels Sign Weaver to 1-Year, $8.5-Million Contract

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb...-home-headlines

TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Angels agreed to terms this morning with free-agent pitcher Jeff Weaver on a one-year contract for about $8.5 million. The former Dodger right-hander was en route to the Phoenix area for a physical and is expected to join Angel pitchers and catchers for their first workout Thursday.

Does anyone know if Boras is still his agent?  If so this is the first time in awhile that Boras didn't get a ridiculous contract for a player.

Boras is still Weaver's agent. Weaver and Boras were probably looking for a fat 5-year deal like Burnett but they couldn't find any takers. So Weaver will try to have a good year and go for another big deal next offseason.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 01:52 PM)
Does anyone know if Boras is still his agent?  If so this is the first time in awhile that Boras didn't get a ridiculous contract for a player.

Dont be too quick to paint him beaten on this yet. Boras is still his agent.

This is the Millwood project part 2. He will showcase him this year because of no interested parties at silly rates. its a pitchers park, and they have a good defensive team. These can only help him in gaining good numbers this year. Now after he has good numbers this year, its back to Boras and the Jeff needs a 5 year at 70 million dollars deal range. No one wanted to give Millwood a long term deal, he had a great year last year, and Boras found someone silly enough to put down lots of jack to have him in tow.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
Boras is still Weaver's agent.  Weaver and Boras were probably looking for a fat 5-year deal like Burnett but they couldn't find any takers.  So Weaver will try to have a good year and go for another big deal next offseason.

i find it hard to believe that was there thinking, either way, boras did not get his job done here.

I still don't think it's enough for them to win the division.  It definately does help them though.

The loss of Molina will hurt them more than they think. I didn't buy into the A's last season but I think they will win the division this year. The Angels may keep it close but will probably end up contending for the Wild Card.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 05:18 PM)
The loss of Molina will hurt them more than they think.  I didn't buy into the A's last season but I think they will win the division this year.  The Angels may keep it close but will probably end up contending for the Wild Card.

I don't even know if the Angels are good enough to contend for the W.C, unless both the As and Rangers wind up having picked up lemons this offseason. If the Angels are going to contend, they need a bunch of things to go right...vlad can't get hurt, Mathis, Kotchman, and probably McPherson need to have decent years with the bat, Anderson needs to stay healthier than he did last year, Colon needs to stay healthy, Weaver needs to stay healthy, etc.

The A's were pretty darn good last year, and it's hard to say they haven't gotten better. They're a young team which has gotten older, and they've added some decent bats, assuming they don't explode in the clubhouse. They're better than last year even if Thomas doesn't play much. But they do need Crosby and Harden to stay healthy.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 07:52 PM)
It'll be between them and Oakland.  I think a lot will depend on how some of their young guys produce.  I'd rank them just slightly over the A's right now.

I think it's a mistake to write off the Rangers just yet...The Yankees and Red Sox have both shown us in recent years that if you get just a little bit of pitching but team it with a great offense you can really make a run at 95-100 wins and a division. Texas has a great offense, so they just need a little bit of pitching to make it interesting. They haven't had that yet.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 11:34 PM)
I think it's a mistake to write off the Rangers just yet...The Yankees and Red Sox have both shown us in recent years that if you get just a little bit of pitching but team it with a great offense you can really make a run at 95-100 wins and a division.  Texas has a great offense, so they just need a little bit of pitching to make it interesting.  They haven't had that yet.

Where are they gonna get it from? I think Millwood is gonna struggle in that park. Who else do they have?

Edit: I forgot they have Eaton now. I still don't think they have nearly enough pitching to seriously contend.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 10:06 PM)
Where are they gonna get it from?  I think Millwood is gonna struggle in that park.  Who else do they have?

That depends on your definition of "Struggling". Putting up an ERA of 4.50 would be struggling in most parks. You do that in Coors field and you're one of the best pitchers in the league.

Yes, Millwood will probably struggle in that he'll have a high ERA compared to last year, but so will the pitchers he's opposing.

The Rangers also picked up starter Adam Eaton and reliever Akinori Otsuka from the Padres, added Vicente Padilla, and a couple of young guys named Juan Dominguez and Kameron Loe. Again, that's not going to challenge the White Sox rotation, but when you're one of the top 2-3 offenses in baseball, you don't have to have the best pitching anywhere in order to win games.