Official Super Bowl Thread

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 07:59 PM)
Good points.  Also, the NFL is the one league arrogant enough to fix a game IMO with their holier than thou attitude about their "great league" and it's popularity, fueled by gambling.  Plus, the NFL seems to always cater to the popular teams (see: coin toss) and all that money changing hands just is too damn tempting to not try and mess with.

If I had to point to 1 game in my lifetime that I thought was rigged...it's not this one, it's not even NFL. It's that game 6 between the Lakers and the Kings a few years ago, in like 01 or whatever year it was. Playing in Sacto, Sacramento plays a good game overall, but the Lakers win basically because the Kings had like 3-4 times as many fouls called on them as the Lakers, thus giving the NBA exactly what it would have wanted...the game 7 between the 2 best teams. I will probably go to my grave saying that the NBA told it's refs to make sure there was a game 7, and any time there is a game officiated so badly that people ask if it could have been rigged, I'll point to that game as the most obvious example ever.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
If I had to point to 1 game in my lifetime that I thought was rigged...it's not this one, it's not even NFL.  It's that game 6 between the Lakers and the Kings a few years ago, in like 01 or whatever year it was.  Playing in Sacto, Sacramento plays a good game overall, but the Lakers win basically because the Kings had like 3-4 times as many fouls called on them as the Lakers, thus giving the NBA exactly what it would have wanted...the game 7 between the 2 best teams.  I will probably go to my grave saying that the NBA told it's refs to make sure there was a game 7, and any time there is a game officiated so badly that people ask if it could have been rigged, I'll point to that game as the most obvious example ever.

Yeah I agree there man, I thought it was rigged too. But I forgot about that because IMO the Kings CHOKED game 7 away at home, and they got what they deserved. Also, don't forget, it would be SO EASY for the NFL to rig a game, since every game is close, poorly played overall, and has bad refs anyways.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 08:01 PM)
Watch the replay again, you can clearly see the ref starting to pull it out directly after the catch, he just has trouble getting it out.

Doesn't matter...the call was still a very poor call. In a vacuum, I would have been able to live with it. But then every other officiating-related break went against the Hawks after it.

Watching the replay, you can see about 1-2 inches that broke the line of the goal. There's no definitive proof that it wasn't a touchdown either, which is what need to be shown on video. The ball was either over the line, or less than an inch away, nothing conclusive at all.

That one I'll 1/2 agree with you...I don't think that there was proof either way. I sure couldnt' see that 1-2 inches did. But I couldn't clearly see that 1-2 inches didn't either, so the call on the field should have stood.

That was an odd call, but Matt didn't really even try to make the tackle, he just flung his body down towards the ground and didn't even look at the ball carrier the whole time. Call didn't need to be made, but he clearly wasn't focusing on the ball carrier and was closer to tackling the blockers than the ballcarrier, luckily for him his feet tripped up the runner.

He flung his body at the ground directly towards the ball carrier. He was way to the side of each of the blockers. There's no way he was going after anything except making the tackle. He doesn't need to look at the ball carrier either...that was a legal attempt at a tackle. If he was trying to go through the blocker, he sure made an interesting choice of having his knees under the blocker while his body was directly under the ball carrier.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 08:04 PM)
I'm not about to read through this whole thread.  So forgive me if this has already been mentioned.  But is it me,  or is Mcjagger the ugliest motherf***er in the history of mankind?

Keith Richards insists he has never lost that honor. He will begin downing vast amounts of drugs again so as to leave no doubt.

Yikes, I'm absolutely shocked there is such an outrage about the officiating. That pass interference call in the endzone was pass interference, period. He extended his arm giving him room to make that catch. The Ben play can go either way the aj comparison is perfect. The only horrible call I saw was the chop block by Matt, I didn't see that. Pitt won this game, I guess when your team doesn't win there is just always going to be complaining about officials. Also whoever verified that there wasn't holding because John Madden says there wasn't...HELLO, it's John f***in Madden.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 10:01 PM)
Watch the replay again, you can clearly see the ref starting to pull it out directly after the catch, he just has trouble getting it out.

That is one call that I didn't see either.

Watching the replay, you can see about 1-2 inches that broke the line of the goal. There's no definitive proof that it wasn't a touchdown either, which is what need to be shown on video. The ball was either over the line, or less than an inch away, nothing conclusive at all.

Wasn't a horsecollar, he grabbed him down by the shoulder pad, not the neck lining.

That was an odd call, but Matt didn't really even try to make the tackle, he just flung his body down towards the ground and didn't even look at the ball carrier the whole time. Call didn't need to be made, but he clearly wasn't focusing on the ball carrier and was closer to tackling the blockers than the ballcarrier, luckily for him his feet tripped up the runner.

On #3, the ball was dropped. It's not so much that the ref though conclusiveness or inconclusiveness, it's what he called. He told Holmgren that he didn't think Ben broke the plane. Holmgren yelled at him asking why he didn't make that call. Notice the ref didn't say, "there was inconclusive evidence" according to Holmgren. He said he didn't think Ben broke the plane. That's a huge call.

On #1, there was hesitation. It was noticed by others including analysts.

The Jerry Porter tackle was a horsecollar. Even Michaels said it was close to one, but I'm watching that part on my computer and it was a definate horsecollar.

I do agree, however, that the Kings screwjob in Games 3(game when Kobe gets an inbounds pass and then elbows Mike Bibby and then Mike Bibby gets called for the foul while bleeding from his nose) and 6(overall just horrible) were the most brutal officiating jobs. This game though has to be the worst in major championship games.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 08:18 PM)
Yikes, I'm absolutely shocked there is such an outrage about the officiating.  That pass interference call in the endzone was pass interference, period.  He extended his arm giving him room to make that catch.  The Ben play can go either way the aj comparison is perfect.  The only horrible call I saw was the chop block by Matt, I didn't see that.  Pitt won this game, I guess when your team doesn't win there is just always going to be complaining about officials.  Also whoever verified that there wasn't holding because John Madden says there wasn't...HELLO, it's John f***in Madden.

They showed the replay of that holding call. There was nothing that struck my eyes as holding either. Nothing even close. The Steelers line had a bunch of plays that would have been called holding if that standard was their holding standard. Don't care what Madden says except in that it agrees with what my eyes saw.

Extending your arm does not equal a pushoff. You can extend your arm without pushing off. If there was a push...it was incredibly minor.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)
They showed the replay of that holding call.  There was nothing that struck my eyes as holding either.  Nothing even close.  The Steelers line had a bunch of plays that would have been called holding if that standard was their holding standard.  Don't care what Madden says except in that it agrees with what my eyes saw.

Extending your arm does not equal a pushoff.  You can extend your arm without pushing off.  If there was a push...it was incredibly minor.

Bingo. He extends the arm, but unless 3 fingers could bench press at least 200 pounds, I didn't see that as a pushoff. And the holding call was brutal. Every analyst has agreed so far that they saw no hold.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 08:19 PM)
On #3, the ball was dropped. It's not so much that the ref though conclusiveness or inconclusiveness, it's what he called. He told Holmgren that he didn't think Ben broke the plane. Holmgren yelled at him asking why he didn't make that call. Notice the ref didn't say, "there was inconclusive evidence" according to Holmgren. He said he didn't think Ben broke the plane. That's a huge call.

Wait a second, so the ref told Holmgren that the ball didn't break the plane, but made the opposite ruling while on the field? Wha?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)
They showed the replay of that holding call.  There was nothing that struck my eyes as holding either.  Nothing even close.  The Steelers line had a bunch of plays that would have been called holding if that standard was their holding standard.  Don't care what Madden says except in that it agrees with what my eyes saw.

Extending your arm does not equal a pushoff.  You can extend your arm without pushing off.  If there was a push...it was incredibly minor.

He gave him a little shove, was it minor? Sure, but it caused seperation allowing the catch.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)
Wait a second, so the ref told Holmgren that the ball didn't break the plane, but made the opposite ruling while on the field?  Wha?

Yeah, that's with the outrage. Michelle Tafoya I believe it was went up to interview Holmgren as he was arguing with the reg to do the interview they do before the half(to ask about adjustments, etc) and she saw him yelling at the ref. She asked "why the outrage?" Then he said the ref told him he didn't think the ball broke the plane and Holmgren said, "well why didn't you make that call on the field?"

That's my main beef with that call.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)
He gave him a little shove, was it minor? Sure, but it caused seperation allowing the catch.

He also got separation just by changing directions. He put an actual good move on the DB. Had he not had his hand there...the play would have looked exactly the same.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 08:24 PM)
Yeah, that's with the outrage. Michelle Tafoya I believe it was went up to interview Holmgren as he was arguing with the reg to do the interview they do before the half(to ask about adjustments, etc) and she saw him yelling at the ref. She asked "why the outrage?" Then he said the ref told him he didn't think the ball broke the plane and Holmgren said, "well why didn't you make that call on the field?"

That's my main beef with that call.

Man, I didn't understand what Holmgren said at halftime enough if that's what he was saying. He's going to be an interesting guy to get in an interview whenever his big one happens.

He also got separation just by changing directions. He put an actual good move on the DB. Had he not had his hand there...the play would have looked exactly the same.

Then why extend the arm and touch the defender if it would have had no effect? Basically you are saying the Seattle receiver is an idiot. There was clearly contact which helped keep the defender moving in the wrong direction, and helped the receiver stop. Was it needed contact? Not at all, as i think he clearly had him beat no matter what.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
Then why extend the arm and touch the defender if it would have had no effect? Basically you are saying the Seattle receiver is an idiot. There was clearly contact which helped keep the defender moving in the wrong direction, and helped the receiver stop. Was it needed contact? Not at all, as i think he clearly had him beat no matter what.

i thought the contact was incidental

bad call IMO

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 08:32 PM)
I never thought I would get so worked up over a team that isn't even in my top 5 favorite teams in the league.

On that I'll agree with. Guess that's what the Super Bowl does. I just wanted to see a good game and actually see which team was the better team, and I didn't get that at all.

Well my pick was wrong, but all I'm going to say is what a BS way for Pitt to win. I feel bad cause they may have been the better team, but honestly, neither team outplayed one another, Pitt just got every freaking call and they were horrid calls too.

I'm not even complaining about the TD cause honestly you knew whichever way it was originally called it wouldn't have been over-turned but you had that phantom holding call, a tick tack offensive PI, and than Hasselbach on this so called illegal chop block (what the hell was that call).

Just 3 (2 total blatant ones caues I could see someone callling the offensive PI, although I wouldn't have).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 10:36 PM)
On that I'll agree with.  Guess that's what the Super Bowl does.  I just wanted to see a good game and actually see which team was the better team, and I didn't get that at all.

Very true. I think we got spoiled with those great Super Bowl games over the past couple of years minus Ravens/Giants & TB/OAK.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 08:21 PM)

That was the call of the game. Cause the Seahawks should have been on the two. Obviously Hassel still goes and throws the pick and another horrid call shows up, but that was such a phantom holding.

You'll see a lot of holdings that don't get called, but the one that was called was horrid. The lineman was beat and pretty much fell flat, never held the guy AT ALL. HORRID.

This was honestly about as bad as a superbowl as I've ever seen. Its too bad too, cause it would have been good had the refs made the right calls.