NFLDraftCountdown

Hey Pale...you think the Steelers might be looking towards a QB convert, similar to Randle El, in the draft? Perhaps McNeal(although another team may take a look at him first), Smith, Shockley, or Robinson?

Also...I'd be happy with the Bills picks. I think it's a pretty safe bet that if Ngata is there, the Bills will take him.

I definitely do wite, as Randle-El's arm will be missed as well as his special teams play. I've been amazed at his precision throws on the gadget plays. While Whisenhunt our OC might be hired away as a head coach, the Steelers will re-load with another OC that likes the gadget plays, as Cowher is in love with those types of plays. Mike Mularkey was the best we have had at the plays, and he should be available again if Whisenhunt leaves.

So after all that rambling, yes I believe we will go after someone. I would guess Michael Robinson would be one of our draft picks in either the 6th or 7th rounds, and I wouldn't be shocked to see Brad Smith or DJ Shockley looked at in the 4th-5th rounds, as I think like you do in that McNeal could be gone on the 1st day to somebody, as he looked good at QB in the All-Star game and some believe Franchionne was holding him back.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
I definitely do wite, as Randle-El's arm will be missed as well as his special teams play. I've been amazed at his precision throws on the gadget plays. While Whisenhunt our OC might be hired away as a head coach, the Steelers will re-load with another OC that likes the gadget plays, as Cowher is in love with those types of plays. Mike Mularkey was the best we have had at the plays, and he should be available again if Whisenhunt leaves.

So after all that rambling, yes I believe we will go after someone. I would guess Michael Robinson would be one of our draft picks in either the 6th or 7th rounds, and I wouldn't be shocked to see Brad Smith or DJ Shockley looked at in the 4th-5th rounds, as I think like you do in that McNeal could be gone on the 1st day to somebody, as he looked good at QB in the All-Star game and some believe Franchionne was holding him back.

Better hope the Steelers are able to retain Whisenhunt, as Mularkey signed on with Miami. That's f***in low and then some to resign from a team and then very shortly thereafter heading to a division rival to take an offensive coordinator position. I say, at the very least, have the decency to move out of the division...but whatever.

I also figured they would, but just thought I'd get your take. Seeing as how the Steelers have had so much success with the trick play and it now being publicized in their Super Bowl run much more, I wonder if more teams are going to try a few more trick plays in the up coming season.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 05:19 AM)
Better hope the Steelers are able to retain Whisenhunt, as Mularkey signed on with Miami.  That's f***in low and then some to resign from a team and then very shortly thereafter heading to a division rival to take an offensive coordinator position.  I say, at the very least, have the decency to move out of the division...but whatever.

Even though he left on his own they basicly took everything away from him in Buffalo you could hardly call him a head coach anymore if he stayed there.

White is good, he just doesnt get the love in the press.

I would say there is a very good chance White is the best RB in the draft when people look back in 10 years. I also think Deangelo is really good.

Most people love Bush, but if I was going to build a running attack I would not start with him.

Comparing Lendale to Dayne is just not a good comparison.

I mean you first have to understand the Wisconsin run scheme, and that they run the stretch play which Dayne is a master at (see Denver Broncos game this year).

White will be faster and stronger than Dayne, he also hits the hole like a big back not like a shifty Dayne.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 08:12 PM)
Comparing Lendale to Dayne is just not a good comparison.

I mean you first have to understand the Wisconsin run scheme, and that they run the stretch play which Dayne is a master at (see Denver Broncos game this year).

White will be faster and stronger than Dayne, he also hits the hole like a big back not like a shifty Dayne.

I am comparing him to Dayne in how effective of an NFL back I feel he will be. From the games I have seen of White during his career at USC I saw a guy that benefitted quite a bit from an excellent O-Line. It's just from my observations that White lacks the explosiveness and skills to succeed at the next level. Hell I could be completely wrong and he could turn into the next Jim Brown. I guess were just gonna have to wait and see how things shake out.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
Yes, I have a feeling that without an elite O-Line blocking for him he might turn into Ron Dayne II.

In my opinion, LenDale is going to be a lot like Pre-Decline Jamal Lewis.

These sorts of runners usually don't have any problems adjusting to the NFL. He's as close to a sure thing as there is. Out of the top three backs in the draft, he's the one I have the least concerns about.

I like the size comparison Addison, but Lewis had ridiculous speed for his size. I think he ran something like a 4.37 in his 40 time, where I think Lendale will run closer to 4.52-4.55 or so. Taking nothing away from Lendale though, as I think he will be a very good one.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 08:29 PM)
I like the size comparison Addison, but Lewis had ridiculous speed for his size. I think he ran something like a 4.37 in his 40 time, where I think Lendale will run closer to 4.52-4.55 or so. Taking nothing away from Lendale though, as I think he will be a very good one.

If that's what he ran at the combine, then it sure didn't translate very well. I'm not saying he's slow, he's not, but he's much slower than other guys who run about that time. Tomlinson ran a 4.38, and they aren't even close.

I think the Lewis comparison is the best one, better than these overworked Bettis comparisons. With all of Lewis's troubles, and the Ravens desire for a power back, it wouldn't surprise me to see him end up in Baltimore.

Before his injury, you could see the speed of Lewis. He was the biggest RB freak in the NFL, he could plow through the DL, and then outrun the DB's, which helped him get over 2,000. Bettis would be a pretty good comparison for Lendale in Bettis younger days. As Jerome aged, he put on about 35 pounds. I've been thinking about it a little more, and I think even Corey Dillon would be a good comparison for him. Similar size, similar ability to run through DB's, and enough speed to get it done in the open field.

I watched almost every Ravens game in his 2000 yard season, so I do have some idea about his speed. Like I said, not slow, and damn fast for his size, but he was never as fast as some of the smaller backs. A lot of credit for the 2000 yards also has to go to the slowness of Cleveland's whole damn defense that year.

It's hard to tell if injury/incarceration hurt his speed much, since he can't ever get in the open field to give us a demonstration...

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 12:23 AM)
Anybody read the Leonard Pope interview on the front page of NFLDraftCountdown?  He says he's up to 260 now. :huh:

This dude is gonna be a monster.  I pray we get him.

And he says he runs a 4.5-4.6 40 yard dash. That is insane for a dude that big.