Danny Bautista attempting a comeback with Rangers

SSH2005

Bautista works out for Rangers

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/baseball/13803263.htm

SAN PEDRO DE MACORIS, Dominican Republic -- The Rangers are considering signing outfielder Danny Bautista to a non-guaranteed contract with an invitation to major league spring training.

Bautista met Sunday with Rangers officials at the team's new complex in the Dominican Republic and will go through a full-scale workout today.

Bautista, 33, retired from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays before last season because of foot injuries. He says he is healthy now and would like to play for the Rangers.

"So far, I want to play for the Rangers," Bautista said. "I want to play for Buck [showalter]. He's like family to me."

Showalter was the Arizona Diamondbacks' manager when Bautista joined the team in June 2000.

Bautista, a right-handed hitter, is a 12-year major league veteran with a .272 career batting average, 62 home runs and 319 RBI.

He broke into the majors with Detroit (1993-96), then played with Atlanta (1996-98), Florida (1999-2000) and Arizona (2000-04). In his last season, he played in 141 games, hit .286 and had 11 home runs, 27 doubles and 65 RBI in 539 at-bats.

Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said he had not discussed a contract or financial issues with Bautista's agent, Diego Bentz. If the Rangers continue to have interest after today's workout, Daniels will likely talk to Bentz after returning to the United States on Tuesday.

"I made my decision today," Bautista said. "I want to be with Texas if I can. I can still compete."

Is Robbie Alomar next?