Sox seek lefty to get things just right

SSH2005

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 03:08 PM)
Well,  yeah,  if Kenny can find another quality lefty,  that's great.  I just don't see the obsession with having two lefties.  If we have righties that can get lefties out,  what's the problem?  The Angels are a perfect example.

I don't think there's any problem with Cotts as the only lefty.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)
that brings us to 22, not 21. it sounds like ozzie will carry 12, which i frankly dont agree with. Id rather have a 14th position player who can contribute by pinch running late in the game than a 12th pitcher who is only gonna get into 9-1 games. but if i had to guess ozzie is gonna have 12 pitchers, so ill say borchard makes it, unless they trade him. munoz will be out there and i guess baj. Just a guess though...im not sure why we signed grieve...isnt he just gload without as good of contact, and borchard without the power?

One of the nice things about picking up a guy like Machowiak to go along with a guy like Pablo is that each of them can play ALL over the diamond, and if we need to pinch run with a guy like Pablo, then we still have Mack and probably another outfielder on the bench. It's also very nice to be in the AL, because you don't deplete your bench early by pinch hitting for the pitcher. So, we're able to run with 12 pitchers, which even if 1 guy just works junk "The game's already lost" innings, keeps more people fresh.

they are gonna try to trade borchard i think. in my opinion they cant do it now because other teams are gonna wait because they know if hedoesnt make the team they can pick him up for nothing since he has no options left. My guess is that the sox will then put him on teh big league roster, proving to other teams that they arent gonna just let him loose. at this point the sox will still have to settle for less in a trade, and will either get something crappy for him, or simply wont find a match and just cut him. either way hes not gonna end up on the sox after 1 month and either grieve or gload will end up as the 4.5th OFer (with ozuna and mack makin up the other .5)

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 08:59 PM)
Read the article.  Ozzie doesn't think that way.  And it's pretty obvious if you watched the way he used Cotts and Marte last season.  Ozzie really buys into the lefty vs. lefty strategy.

I'm hoping we can either find a diamond in the rough or that KW can swing a trade for a lefty in ST.  I hope he doesn't have to resort to signing Felix Heredia or Buddy Groom.

But manager Ozzie Guillen has one item left on his wish list.

''Right now'' Guillen said, ''it's the left-hander.''

---------------------------------

Thanks Jabroni, I didn't see Ozzie's one liner.

While a LHP would be nice, a good RHP pitcher might be fine.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)
Out of the system, six year FA if I remember correctly, or non tendered, or something of the like.

For some reason, he is listed in the bullpen on the whitesox.com depth chart.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
they are gonna try to trade borchard i think. in my opinion they cant do it now because other teams are gonna wait because they know if hedoesnt make the team they can pick him up for nothing since he has no options left. My guess is that the sox will then put him on teh big league roster, proving to other teams that they arent gonna just let him loose. at this point the sox will still have to settle for less in a trade, and will either get something crappy for him, or simply wont find a match and just cut him. either way hes not gonna end up on the sox after 1 month and either grieve or gload will end up as the 4.5th OFer (with ozuna and mack makin up the other .5)

I still have nightmares about Gload in the OF.

One of the only lhp relievers i could find is Buddy Groom. Are there any more? Groom could be a good veteran to come out of the bullpen.

Felix Heredia and Buddy Groom are the only I can think of. Heredia will be suspended for the first 10 days of next season after testing positive for steroids last year.

Id say the favorites for the last 3 spots have to be Tracey, Munoz, Baj, and Borchard..... if Munoz can impress he prob would have priority over other 2 just being a lefty.

One guy im hoping shows his A game is Corwin Malone.... he could be a stud in the bullpen.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/M/corwin-malone.shtml

Over 5 BB's per 9 IP in the minors. :puke

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(daa84 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)

This is obviously your opinion, because I cant see it happening. If there is anyone with less of a chance than Borchard to make the team, its Ross Gload. The guy is the black sheep in the organization, and is one of the worst OF'ers we could have out there. I would rather have Joe Borchards defense and occasional power than Ross Gloads swing at the first pitch crappy defense.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 09:41 AM)
This is obviously your opinion, because I cant see it happening.  If there is anyone with less of a chance than Borchard to make the team, its Ross Gload.  The guy is the black sheep in the organization, and is one of the worst OF'ers we could have out there.  I would rather have Joe Borchards defense and occasional power than Ross Gloads swing at the first pitch crappy defense.

I agree in the sense that Gload's prospects for making the team are slim and none.

Mike Gosling.

Discuss.

Beat me to it, haha. I would not be surprised if KW picked him up.

Diamondbacks designated LHP Michael Gosling for assignment.

Gosling had a 4.45 ERA in five starts and 13 relief appearances for the Diamondbacks last season, but he was sent down in early August and didn't get a September callup. Since he lost most of his upside when he started experiencing shoulder troubles, there's a good chance that he'll slip through waivers.

Edited by SSH2005