"Gangsta City"

Steff

Well, I just watched something that lasted about 5+ minutes and has made me VERY thankful to be heading home in a few hours to a little tiny town. I will be going home and hugging the hell out of my kids (though I do it all the time, this time it will have a little bit of a different reason behind it) and looking around my little neighborhood amd smiling. I also just watched something that further solidifies my understanding of why I don't "get" Gangsta Rap and that whole world, and makes me glad I don't "get" it. That s*** scares the hell out of me, and I am dang glad it does.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)
Well, I just watched something that lasted about 5+ minutes and has made me VERY thankful to be heading home in a few hours to a little tiny town. I will be going home and hugging the hell out of my kids (though I do it all the time, this time it will have a little bit of a different reason behind it) and looking around my little neighborhood amd smiling. I also just watched something that further solidifies my understanding of why I don't "get" Gangsta Rap and that whole world, and makes me glad I don't "get" it. That s*** scares the hell out of me, and I am dang glad it does.

Ahhhh, they have torn down alot of the worst areas, and the film seems to capture the worst aspects of it. Areas are changing around chicago, and I no longer see that area as extremely dangerous. For example, Lincoln Park several years ago was just about one of the worst areas in the city. Now its a yuppie haven.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
Ahhhh, they have torn down alot of the worst areas, and the film seems to capture the worst aspects of it.  Areas are changing around chicago, and I no longer see that area as extremely dangerous.  For example, Lincoln Park several years ago was just about one of the worst areas in the city.  Now its a yuppie haven.

So true. And Kid, I'm thankful as well. I just miss the point of making a movie about it. And it seems they did it in a glamorizing way. Although, it is just a trailer at this point. Maybe the finished product will be more informative and show the negatives. The kid holding the gun was especially disturbing.

So it's a film about black urban culture glorifying black urban culture. I think the only thing this video needed was people doing freestyle rap battles and it would have been a perfect stereotype.

My uncle is CPD and had to work that s***hole for a few years, so I'm quite glad Cabrini is being torn down and all these lowlifes have to go somewhere else.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 03:01 PM)
So true. And Kid, I'm thankful as well. I just miss the point of making a movie about it. And it seems they did it in a glamorizing way. Although, it is just a trailer at this point. Maybe the finished product will be more informative and show the negatives. The kid holding the gun was especially disturbing.

Typical glorification of the life. People who grew up in it want to make sure that even though they dont live there anymore, people know they lived a hard life. Its the same reason why they are posing with guns for the camera. It wont look so hard when they dont live in the city.