Aw Snap...

jasonxctf

QUOTE(samclemens @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 08:32 PM)
and for the record, jimmy carter was the worst president in american history (he has a gas shortage and a failed hostage rescue attempt to claim, and thats it).

Wait till this guy is finished before you say that.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(samclemens @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 07:32 PM)
spin you however you want, from whatever side of the political spectrum. it was shameless political hackery, and was pretty deplorable.

if i was a member of the king family i would have been outraged.

stuff like this costs you votes.

and for the record, jimmy carter was the worst president in american history (he has a gas shortage and a failed hostage rescue attempt to claim, and thats it).

He made a couple of killer speeches though *cough* malaise *cough*

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 08:18 PM)
I'm sure you meant to quote me during your post.

Yes, Bush has done something wrong. I believe issuing wiretraps without obtaining a simple warrant is unjustifiable. You won't hear me debate that. More than the infringement of privacy opponents have mentioned, I oppose the wiretaps because they violated the law.

You can rationalize those connecting points of history as grounds to illustrate the struggles Loretta and family endured, but I look beyond that. EVEN IF the intentions were merely to draw parallels, the fact a democrat is saying it leads me to question their motives. They're honoring Loretta in one hand and insulting Bush in another.

I just believe it's ridiculous the areas politics can drag itself to. For the reason we're discussing this issue is a disservice to Loretta.

That's very informed post. I just have one question for you though. Who is Loretta?

Pretty sad. Don't the Democrats realize that everytime they look completely insane in the public that they are hurting their chances of getting their guy or gal into office? No one wants crazy people running the country.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 06:53 PM)
So Jimmy Carter mentioning that the Kings were illegally wiretapped in the 1960s is now considered Bush bashing? I would think it more JFK bashing.

Not when it got a rousing 2 minute cheer. I watched the funeral live. Many of the speakers were playing to the crowd like a rock concert.

What Jimmy Carter said didn't get a two minute cheer. What the minister said, was in my view, wholly inappropriate.

Although what our former President said wasn't necessarily 100% innocent. There's a big difference from mentioning the wiretapping that the Kings faced (which was factual) and basically calling the President a "weapon of misdirection" to his face at the funeral (which is opinion).

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 08:43 AM)
What Jimmy Carter said didn't get a two minute cheer. What the minister said, was in my view, wholly inappropriate.

Although what our former President said wasn't necessarily 100% innocent. There's a big difference from mentioning the wiretapping that the Kings faced (which was factual) and basically calling the President a "weapon of misdirection" to his face at the funeral (which is opinion).

Did you watch, Rex? No, I didn't time it, but it most certainly got a longer than average ovation. I watched and in my honest opinion, I believe the comment about wire tappings and the stuff about New Orleans was put in there for one reason. He delivered it in a "National Convention" sort of way - not a "Eulogy" sort of way.

I didn't watch it, but I didn't hear that that specific line got Carter a long cheer. So I take my dealy back about the cheer. Seems like an odd applause line though.

I will say this, I'm surprised at how many people seem surprised that you get firebrands giving politically minded speeches at the funeral of a balls to the wall committed activist.

Like Coretta Scott King and like Paul Wellstone before her, when activists die, their memorials tend to be like their lives previous, fighting the causes they fought for. Does that mean grandstanding is going to happen? Of course. Does that make it appropriate? No. But it does make it expected.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)
I didn't watch it, but I didn't hear that that specific line got Carter a long cheer. So I take my dealy back about the cheer. Seems like an odd applause line though.

I will say this, I'm surprised at how many people seem surprised that you get firebrands giving politically minded speeches at the funeral of a balls to the wall committed activist.

Like Coretta Scott King and like Paul Wellstone before her, when activists die, their memorials tend to be like their lives previous, fighting the causes they fought for. Does that mean grandstanding is going to happen? Of course. Does that make it appropriate? No. But it does make it expected.

It was an odd applause line, but the whole thing got odder and odder (is that a word?) as it went on.

Yes, it should have been expected. Still sad, though.

Another thing, when Bush was introduced the man that introduced him went on for a little while: "I ask you to give a warm welcome..." It seemed longer than normal and like he was begging them to not boo and make fools of themselves. Just MHO.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 09:42 AM)
You're probably right. Gotta give the prez props for showing up though. He didn't have to, and I thought it was a nice thing to do.

He didn't have a choice barring a national emergency or an emergency medical procedure.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 09:44 AM)
He didn't have a choice barring a national emergency or an emergency medical procedure.

Could he have sighted personal safety concerns as a reason for not attending..? Moot, but I'm just curious.

Bush 41's speech was pretty funny too. At one point he lost his place or a page and said, " It must be your lucky day, I think I lost a page."

Most of the speakers were light-hearted and fun. I would want the same at my funeral.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 09:47 AM)
Could he have sighted personal safety concerns as a reason for not attending..? Moot, but I'm just curious.

Meaning..."It's not safe around all those people?" ;)

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)

He sure as hell did have a choice. He could have sent Condi or Dick - well maybe not Cheney so much - but Condi definitely, coulda drafted Colin Powell outta retirement. Could have sent plenty of representatives. And he doesn't have to get elected ever again. He had plenty of choices.

If he didn't want to go - as you might be implying - than why should it even matter what the other people said at the funeral. Doesn't that make his speech as insincere and ridiculous as someone calling the President a "weapon of misdirection?" To me, it does.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 09:47 AM)

He would have been crucified in the media using that excuse. I can see the headlines now ... Cowardly Bush Skips King Funeral

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)
He sure as hell did have a choice. He could have sent Condi or Dick - well maybe not Cheney so much - but Condi definitely, coulda drafted Colin Powell outta retirement. Could have sent plenty of representatives. And he doesn't have to get elected ever again. He had plenty of choices.

If he didn't want to go - as you might be implying - than why should it even matter what the other people said at the funeral. Doesn't that make his speech as insincere and ridiculous as someone calling the President a "weapon of misdirection?" To me, it does.

Politically, he didn't have a choice. There are still elections coming up. That's not to say that he didn't attend because he sincerely wanted to pay his respects. I love how you jumped to insincere and ridiculous. Now who's being ridiculous?

If he didn't want to go, he shouldn't have gone. He didn't have to be there and there are plenty of reasonable excuses he could have made to not show up. Politically, he sure as hell didn't have to go. The African-American community basically has -5% support for the President at this point, who the hell would he be alienating any further than he has?

Don't blow up my suspicion. I actually believe that he went there to honor her memory. I actually believe that he didn't have to go. And I actually believe that it was a nice thing to do. Let's just leave it at that. I actually complement the President and I get challenged on it. Sheesh :)

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 10:14 AM)
I actually believe that he went there to honor her memory. I actually believe that he didn't have to go. And I actually believe that it was a nice thing to do. Let's just leave it at that. I actually complement the President and I get challenged on it. Sheesh :)

Which is what funerals used to be about... I never understood the need to televise and make a spectical of a wake or funeral. :huh

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 08:17 AM)
Which is what funerals used to be about... I never understood the need to televise and make a spectical of a wake or funeral.  :huh

Because we have 24 hour news networks, something has to fill those 24 hours, and there just aren't enough missing white women.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 07:34 PM)
It's good to know that you are in such a position as to know the exact thoughts and feelings of the king family and lecture all of us about how we should feel from your position of knowledge.

Or, alternatively, it's good of you to tell the King family how to feel.  They're clearly fools if they feel anything else other than what you say they should feel, and your wise advice will certainly be welcome to them in their time of mourning.

Maybe the family can charge money for copies of the funeral like they charge for their father's speeches.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)

He was there representing the country as a whole.