Aw Snap...

jasonxctf

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mreye @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 10:26 AM)
Juan Williams is on Fox now. He said it was obviously political and in his opinion, Carter crossed the line.

Thank God we have these non-partisan, unbiased members of the King family appearing on Fox to tell us how we should feel.

It is now for us, all the millions of the living who care, to take up his torch of love. It is for us to finish his work, to end the awful destruction in Vietnam, to root out every trace of race prejudice from our lives, to bring the massive powers of this nation to aid the oppressed and to heal the hate-scarred world.

God rest your soul, dear Martin. You have fought the good fight. You have finished your course. You have kept the faith. Yours is now the triumphant crown of righteousness. Your dream is now ours. May God make us worthy and able to carry your torch of love and march on to brotherhood. Amen.

L. Harold DeWolf, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s Dissertation advisor, at Dr. King's funeral.

Eulogy for the Young Victims

of the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church Bombing

By Martin Luther King, Jr.

18 September 1963 - Birmingham, Ala.

This afternoon we gather in the quiet of this sanctuary to pay our last tribute of respect to these beautiful children of God. They entered the stage of history just a few years ago, and in the brief years that they were privileged to act on this mortal stage, they played their parts exceedingly well. Now the curtain falls; they move through the exit; the drama of their earthly life comes to a close. They are now committed back to that eternity from which they came.

These children-unoffending, innocent, and beautiful-were the victims of one of the most vicious and tragic crimes ever perpetrated against humanity.

And yet they died nobly. They are the martyred heroines of a holy crusade for freedom and human dignity. And so this afternoon in a real sense they have something to say to each of us in their death. They have something to say to every minister of the gospel who has remained silent behind the safe security of stained-glass windows. They have something to say to every politician [Audience:] (Yeah) who has fed his constituents with the stale bread of hatred and the spoiled meat of racism. They have something to say to a federal government that has compromised with the undemocratic practices of southern Dixiecrats (Yeah) and the blatant hypocrisy of right-wing northern Republicans. (Speak) They have something to say to every Negro (Yeah) who has passively accepted the evil system of segregation and who has stood on the sidelines in a mighty struggle for justice. They say to each of us, black and white alike, that we must substitute courage for caution. They say to us that we must be concerned not merely about who murdered them, but about the system, the way of life, the philosophy which produced the murderers. Their death says to us that we must work passionately and unrelentingly for the realization of the American dream [...]

(linky)

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 09:57 AM)
He would have been crucified in the media using that excuse.  I can see the headlines now ... Cowardly Bush Skips King Funeral

How bout the "Bush and dad dont feel like listening to a bunch of assholes use a funeral of a great American as an excuse to talk bad about them" excuse?

One thing that just blows my mind here is the fact that Jimmy Carter, of all people, was taking cheap shots at Bush. Who the f*** is Mr. Malaise to talk about anybody? He is THE WORST President who ever took up residence in the White House.

Go work on the drywall at one of those houses you like to build and leave being President to someone who actually knows how.

f*** you Carter!

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 08:18 PM)
He is THE WORST President who ever took up residence in the White House. 

Why do you keep dissing G.W.? He hasn't even finished his 2nd term. He might do 1 good thing before it's all said and done.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 07:18 PM)
One thing that just blows my mind here is the fact that Jimmy Carter, of all people, was taking cheap shots at Bush.  Who the f*** is Mr. Malaise to talk about anybody?  He is THE WORST President who ever took up residence in the White House. 

ding ding

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 02:26 AM)
Actually, my respect for Carter has grown tremendously in the last year.

Of course it has. If anyone speaks out against Bush, you love them.

Any dips*** that says we need to continue to fund Hamas has it wrong.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 08:18 PM)
One thing that just blows my mind here is the fact that Jimmy Carter, of all people, was taking cheap shots at Bush.  Who the f*** is Mr. Malaise to talk about anybody?  He is THE WORST President who ever took up residence in the White House. 

Go work on the drywall at one of those houses you like to build and leave being President to someone who actually knows how.

f*** you Carter!

Carter was pretty bad.

But I'd contend that neither Carter nor Bush were the worst.

Andrew Johnson takes that cake by a landslide.

Bush, however, has now surpassed Carter in my mind as the worst in my lifetime.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 10:12 PM)
Unfortunately, his idea of "serving the Prince of Peace" is appeasing terrorists wherever they live.

Well...he was roughly 30 years ahead of the curve in trying to find a way to weaken their main source of funding.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 09:15 PM)
Carter was pretty bad.

But I'd contend that neither Carter nor Bush were the worst.

Andrew Johnson takes that cake by a landslide.

Bush, however, has now surpassed Carter in my mind as the worst in my lifetime.

Carter was perhaps the most well-meaning man to have been President; didn't make him a good President, though.

I'll see your Andrew Johnson and raise you James Buchanan, NNS72!

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
You have to throw in father Bush when compiling a list of worst presidents of all time.

Everything is his fault too because he is the father of George W

Seriously, I'm seeing a list of these Presidents and am wondering what makes them the worst. I haven't been around long enough or studied long enough to know what they have done.

Edited by vandy125

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 01:26 PM)
Everything is his fault too because he is the father of George W

Seriously, I'm seeing a list of these Presidents and am wondering what makes them the worst.  I haven't been around long enough or studied long enough to know what they have done.

They're the opposing party.

While Bush 41 was not a very good politician, he does not deserve to be on a list of worst presidents by any means.

QUOTE(mreye @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
They're the opposing party.

While Bush 41 was not a very good politician, he does not deserve to be on a list of worst presidents by any means.

Agreed. I think Bush 41 was not too bad, and certainly doesn't belong on any "worst" lists. Better than his son so far, I believe.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
Carter was perhaps the most well-meaning man to have been President; didn't make him a good President, though.

I'll see your Andrew Johnson and raise you James Buchanan, NNS72!

Buchanan was not nearly as hateful as Johnson, who wanted to make it official US policy (no joke) to exterminate all the Indians and send all the "negroes" (term at time) back to Africa. Plus Johnson was impeached, because of any number of crooked scams he ran out of his office.

I'll stick with Johnson.