Aw Snap...

jasonxctf

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 02:31 PM)
Buchanan was not nearly as hateful as Johnson, who wanted to make it official US policy (no joke) to exterminate all the Indians and send all the "negroes" (term at time) back to Africa.  Plus Johnson was impeached, because of any number of crooked scams he ran out of his office.

I'll stick with Johnson.

Let me preface this by saying that Andrew Johnson was a pretty ineffective President.

Johnson was impeached because he violated the Tenure of Office Act by firing Secretary of War Edwin Stanton. The ToOA was passed over Johnson's veto, and was later declared unconstitutional. He was certainly not impeached for any corruption in his administration. He was in a power struggle with the radical elements of the Republican party, and they thought they could oust him. As it was, they failed to convict him by one vote in the Senate. I'm not giving him a pass on his treatment of Indians and Blacks, but he was close to the mainstream of thought at that time.

Buchanan, on the other hand, had a chance to either garrison Federal forts in the South with loyal troops or, failing that, secure all the arms and ship them to the north. He did neither.

I gotta go, but I like this stuff, so I'll be back.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
I'd agree. I think that Buchanan was indeed the worst president in US history.

Andrew Jackson has his bad parts too...the destruction of the National Bank which led to a "Panic" as he was leaving office, the "Trail of Tears", etc.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
Let me preface this by saying that Andrew Johnson was a pretty ineffective President.

Johnson was impeached because he violated the Tenure of Office Act by firing Secretary of War Edwin Stanton.  The  ToOA was passed over Johnson's veto, and was later declared unconstitutional.  He was certainly not impeached for any corruption in his administration.  He was in a power struggle with the radical elements of the Republican party, and they thought they could oust him.  As it was, they failed to convict him by one vote in the Senate.  I'm not giving him a pass on his treatment of Indians and Blacks, but he was close to the mainstream of thought at that time.

Buchanan, on the other hand, had a chance to either garrison Federal forts in the South with loyal troops or, failing that, secure all the arms and ship them to the north.  He did neither. 

I gotta go, but I like this stuff, so I'll be back.

I guess my impression was that his impeachment was more about the banking scandals (Balta refers to it) than that firing, and that the firing was more like the tax evasion that got Capone in jail.

I guess its stupidity and lack of forethought (Buchanan) versus mild paranoid insanity and hatred (Johnson).

I still think Johnson takes the cake.

Plus, Johnson's legacy still lives today in a lot of the policy still effecting Indians (the Dawes Act, while outside his presidency, has its roots in Johnsons policies). Is there anything of Buchanan still roaming about?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)
I guess my impression was that his impeachment was more about the banking scandals (Balta refers to it) than that firing, and that the firing was more like the tax evasion that got Capone in jail.

I guess its stupidity and lack of forethought (Buchanan) versus mild paranoid insanity and hatred (Johnson).

I still think Johnson takes the cake.

Plus, Johnson's legacy still lives today in a lot of the policy still effecting Indians (the Dawes Act, while outside his presidency, has its roots in Johnsons policies).  Is there anything of Buchanan still roaming about?

You're confusing the 2 Andrew's of the 1800's. Andrew Jackson was 1828-1836. Johnson was Right after Lincoln. Jackson was the one who went after the National Bank and sent the country into a large recession, Jackson was the one who used force to evict and march a large number of native americans across the country, killing many, etc. Johnson was the one who was impeached.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
You're confusing the 2 Andrew's of the 1800's.  Andrew Jackson was 1828-1836.  Johnson was Right after Lincoln.  Jackson was the one who went after the National Bank and sent the country into a large recession, Jackson was the one who used force to evict and march a large number of native americans across the country, killing many, etc.  Johnson was the one who was impeached.

D'OH!!!

You are correct. I meant Jackson, not Johnson, and Jackson was not impeached.

Jackson was the exterminator, and the one who was certifiably paranoid. And he sent the Indians cross country. And he had the bank thing.

Sheesh, how embarrassing. I wrote papers on this in college (I tooks some Am In studies courses).

So I change my vote to Jackson for the biggest loser Prez!

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
Agreed.  I think Bush 41 was not too bad, and certainly doesn't belong on any "worst" lists.  Better than his son so far, I believe.

From my very conservative Republican point of view, they were both bad. 41 because he allowed Congress to get away from the direction Reagan was taking us and 43 because of his over spending and lack of vetoes.

I'm watching a replay on CSPAN, and the hype is all such bulls***. Lowery's speech is not nearly as accusatory as advertised, and the applause given to Carter's bits are not half, not a quarter as enthusiastic as advertised. The audience gave Bush 1 a standing ovation, not some mere polite applause, and he jokes around with Lowery in turn. Then Clinton jokes with Bush, etc.

There are lots of laughs, there are pokes in every direction, but that's an intended part of the ceremony. Some congregations swing like that. After watching, I can't believe anyone would see any disrespect unless they desperately wanted disrespect. Politics, yes, but not disrespect. Clinton reminded Atlanta, with a Dem mayor, how high the murder rate is. Some just see what they want to see.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
Is there anything of Buchanan still roaming about?

Unfortunately there is 550,000 graves from the civil war which he did nothing to stop in fact sped it up. Buchanan failed in every aspect of his presidency