The GRE

aboz56

Just wanted to know if anyone has taken the GRE (Graduate Record Exam).

I need to take it in the next month or so for the program I am applying to get into. It's actually the last thing I need to do in order to get accepted.

I understand it can be quite tricky.

I've gotten one of those Kaplan books and have started to look over things and brush up.

Anyone have any advice on how to study for this thing, how difficult it really is or any other tips.

Thanks in advance if anyone can offer anything.

I haven't found much if anything on the web in terms of discussion of the test from actual test-takers themselves.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 11:52 PM)
Just wanted to know if anyone has taken the GRE (Graduate Record Exam).

I need to take it in the next month or so for the program I am applying to get into.  It's actually the last thing I need to do in order to get accepted.

I understand it can be quite tricky.

I've gotten one of those Kaplan books and have started to look over things and brush up.

Anyone have any advice on how to study for this thing, how difficult it really is or any other tips.

Thanks in advance if anyone can offer anything.

I haven't found much if anything on the web in terms of discussion of the test from actual test-takers themselves.

I took it a few years ago. I just practiced a couple times with the CD-ROM that was mailed to me by the GRE people. It was pretty much a replica of the actual exam. I'd suggest just working with one of those discs for a couple hours a day for a couple days and it might be enough. I think since then they've changed one of the sections from analytical (which was actually a lot of fun) to some sort of written exam. This seems to be an overly subjective sort of thing, but whatever.

Overall I didn't think it was too difficult.

Took the GRE a couple of years ago. 800 math, 680 english, 6/6 on the writing.

My advice on the Kaplan book - the one I got was garbage. Absolute garbage. I believe a company called Barrons or something like that puts out one that's significantly better. Gigantic word list inside, practice exams, etc. Basically what I wound up doing was taking every word I didn't know from their gigantic list and putting them on flash cards. I believe it worked.

The math part wasn't hugely difficult for me, but then again I was a math minor, so most of the random tricks they test you on I still remembered because I was using them.

The writing part...well, just take a look at some practice writing portions. They'll show you pretty quick what's involved in making a good essay.

I believe one other company put out a book that was 100% practice tests. I used that & it also worked well.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 08:13 PM)
Took the GRE a couple of years ago.  800 math, 680 english, 6/6 on the writing.

My advice on the Kaplan book - the one I got was garbage.  Absolute garbage.  I believe a company called Barrons or something like that puts out one that's significantly better.  Gigantic word list inside, practice exams, etc.  Basically what I wound up doing was taking every word I didn't know from their gigantic list and putting them on flash cards.  I believe it worked.

The math part wasn't hugely difficult for me, but then again I was a math minor, so most of the random tricks they test you on I still remembered because I was using them.

The writing part...well, just take a look at some practice writing portions.  They'll show you pretty quick what's involved in making a good essay.

I believe one other company put out a book that was 100% practice tests.  I used that & it also worked well.

http://www.amazon.com/fallback/handle-buy-...in.0764178784=1

Found that, may have to pick that up.

As far as how long you studied or prepared...How much time did you spend getting ready.

I plan on taking it in Mid-March or so.

I really don't even need great scores, just around a 500 or so on both sections. Going into an education masters program, but since my undergrad degree is not education, they are requiring I take this test.

Thanks for your help and great scores by the way, you must be some sort of rocket scientist.

I spent several weeks getting ready for it as much as I possibly could...like sitting around every night spending a coupel hours with those flash cards, doing at least 5-10 practice tests, etc. But then again, I was hoping to wind up getting into MIT or Caltech, so my requirements were probably a little more stringent than yours.

And I'm no Rocket Scientist...I'm a rock scientist.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 08:57 PM)
I spent several weeks getting ready for it as much as I possibly could...like sitting around every night spending a coupel hours with those flash cards, doing at least 5-10 practice tests, etc.  But then again, I was hoping to wind up getting into MIT or Caltech, so my requirements were probably a little more stringent than yours.

And I'm no Rocket Scientist...I'm a rock scientist.

Good deal, I'm just hoping I can manage a 500 on each section and go on my way happily ever after.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 07:13 PM)

The math questions on those types of tests have always been insanely easy for me. The answer is right there, you just have to pick it out.

You can usually just plug each one into the equation until you figure it out.

Balta, I've taken two practice verbal sections on the Barron's CD CAT tests and gotten a 540 and a 550.

Just wondering if you thought these practice exams were at all comparable to the real thing.

Some people say they're harder and some say easier, just wanted to get your take.

Also, thanks for the tip on the Barron's book. It's helped tremendously so far.

I'm planning to test on March 15.

Boz, Barrons is the way to go. This is coming from hearing a lot of people talk about it in my MBA program.

Personally, I didn't have to take the exam this time when I got in to grad school since I already have a master's. However, I took the thing back in 1995 - didn't crack a book and I think I got 550's on each IIRC. It's not too bad.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
Boz, Barrons is the way to go.  This is coming from hearing a lot of people talk about it in my MBA program. 

Personally, I didn't have to take the exam this time when I got in to grad school since I already have a master's.  However, I took the thing back in 1995 - didn't crack a book and I think I got 550's on each IIRC.  It's not too bad.

It's a whole lot better than Kaplan's crap book, at least that's what I've found so far.

The program I am going into only requires scores of 800 (masters in education), but I'd like to do better obviously.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
Boz, Barrons is the way to go.  This is coming from hearing a lot of people talk about it in my MBA program. 

Personally, I didn't have to take the exam this time when I got in to grad school since I already have a master's.  However, I took the thing back in 1995 - didn't crack a book and I think I got 550's on each IIRC.  It's not too bad.

Where did you get your MBA?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 10:31 PM)
Where did you get your MBA?

I've got two trimesters to go after this one - I'll be done with it in November of this year. Getting it at University of Dallas.

But I currently have my master's degree in accounting from Manchester College which is in northern IN.