Green Seat Pics

joeynach

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
......I bet by now all the food went bad too.

The good food is because JR is jewish and jews know good food, they eat very well. Obviously this is the reason we have the jumbo Best Koshers which are the best food item in the park. I dont even keep kosher (im jewish) and they are the best, but seriously jews are picky about eating high quality food so thanks JR!! :)

Edited by joeynach

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 07:45 AM)
Living outside Chicago as I do and only going to the Cell for perhaps 1 trip per year, I can tell you that only seeing it over a long period of time, it's become a MUCH better park from what it was in the early 90's.  It's remarkable, actually.  I think the green seats only help that.

(I think I've been to 20 or so of the MLB parks thus far and can say that the food at the Cell is the best, without question.  Nothing is really even close).

This is the reason I have NO problem calling it US Cellular Field.

I don't know if JR would have done any renovations without the naming money. Maybe he would have, but probably not to the extent that the US Cellular money allowed.

USCF is an absolutely beautiful ballpark, and a GREAT place to see a game.

The park is great, the food is great, and the team is a World Champion.

I emailed brooks and asked him if the seats would all be in for opening night. Here is what he said.

"Green seats will be in for the upper deck, club level, bleachers and

between the outside of the dugouts for next season. There was no way to

get it all completed in the shortened off season (I will make that trade

any year)."

So they you have it.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)
WORD!! on the food comment.  Comiskey is AWESOME on the grub.

Really, on the inside (not talking about the OF, just talking down the lines) it's starting to look a lot like the Ballpark in Arlington, and that's not a bad thing.

I'll have to hit you and Tex up next time I'm in town. Went to Arlington last year. Very cool stadium. One of my favorites.

From the Trib:

Weather and an extended 2005 season were the only factors that slowed the White Sox's drive toward improvements at U.S. Cellular Field for the 2006 season.

The installation of green seats that started before the start of 2005 have extended to the upper deck and the lower deck past the first- and third-base dugouts, Brooks Boyer, the Sox's vice president of marketing, said Wednesday.

Installation of the new green seats, however, won't be complete until next off-season. As the Sox played deep into October, culminating with their first World Series title in 88 years, they lost valuable time that could have been used to install the new seats.

"You can't caulk under a certain temperature," Boyer said of the seat installation process.

Blue seats remain in the lower deck down the foul lines. Installation of the green seats in the club level was completed last season.

A logo commemorating the Sox's 2005 World Series championship will be placed on the roof of their third-base dugout.

But team officials still are looking for a spot to display their World Series trophy that has traveled as far as Venezuela—manager Ozzie Guillen's home country.

"We'll unveil the [championship] banners for the first game," Boyer said. "We'll present the rings for the second game. We'll give the trophy to the fans before the third game. We're just looking for a spot for our fans to see the trophy."

In an effort to accommodate the anticipated large crowds, the Sox have simplified their parking.

Season ticket-holders with parking permits now will park on the north side of U.S. Cellular Field, Boyer said.

Cash parking customers will park on the south side of the park.

"We hope this funnels people in better," Boyer said.

United Scout Seat holders also will be treated to a more comfortable perk.

The restaurant/lounge for the 318 members in that section has been completed near Gate 3.

"Installation of the new green seats, however, won't be complete until next off-season. As the Sox played deep into October, culminating with their first World Series title in 88 years, they lost valuable time that could have been used to install the new seats.

"You can't caulk under a certain temperature," Boyer said of the seat installation process."

Couldn't they replace a few sections at a time during the season when the team is on roadtrips?

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 09:59 AM)
"Installation of the new green seats, however, won't be complete until next off-season. As the Sox played deep into October, culminating with their first World Series title in 88 years, they lost valuable time that could have been used to install the new seats.

"You can't caulk under a certain temperature," Boyer said of the seat installation process."

Couldn't they replace a few sections at a time during the season when the team is on roadtrips?

They probably will. Brooks said at Soxfest they were going to present the worst case scenerio and hope for the best.

I like the new look.

The newspaper article about the seat replacement project not being finished for the upcoming season gave two reasons: 1) post-season play that ate into time, and 2) cold weather.

Now #1 is certainly a valid factor, but #2? This has been one of the mildest winters on record. So, it was doubtful from the beginning that this project would have been completed for the 2006 season. That's okay...but just admit it.

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 10:46 AM)
I like the new look.

The newspaper article about the seat replacement project not being finished for the upcoming season gave two reasons: 1) post-season play that ate into time, and 2) cold weather.

Now #1 is certainly a valid factor, but #2?  This has been one of the mildest winters on record.  So, it was doubtful from the beginning that this project would have been completed for the 2006 season.  That's okay...but just admit it.

I believe it has to do with humidity more then temp? Caulk - someone correct me if I am wrong - will not set correctly if it's too humid..?

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 11:51 AM)
I believe it has to do with humidity more then temp? Caulk - someone correct me if I am wrong - will not set correctly if it's too humid..?

I am unawares as to if Humidity is bad for caulk...

However, I am entirely sure that cold weather is terrible for caulk as it tends to become brittle and freeze before it properly dries. This I know for sure...

Caulking in extreme cold weather just doesnt work for the longterm, it almost always cracks after a short period of time.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 10:55 AM)
I am unawares as to if Humidity is bad for caulk...

However, I am entirely sure that cold weather is terrible for caulk as it tends to become brittle and freeze before it properly dries. This I know for sure...

Caulking in extreme cold weather just doesnt work for the longterm, it almost always cracks after a short period of time.

I remember when I had the shower in the downstairs bathroom at my old house remodeled they told me that I couldn't use that bathroom for at least 24 hours and better if it wasn't used for 48. But it getting brittle makes sense, too.

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
I like the new look.

Now #1 is certainly a valid factor, but #2?  This has been one of the mildest winters on record.  So, it was doubtful from the beginning that this project would have been completed for the 2006 season.  That's okay...but just admit it.

Just because it has been warm for a Chicago winter, doesn't mean it has been warm enough

http://www.leeric.lsu.edu/energy/caulking/

Caulking should not be applied at temperatures below 40°F. It should be installed when temperatures range between 45°F and 55°F. At these temperatures expansion and contraction at joints are at midway point.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
I remember when I had the shower in the downstairs bathroom at my old house remodeled they told me that I couldn't use that bathroom for at least 24 hours and better if it wasn't used for 48. But it getting brittle makes sense, too.

What are they caulking again? Dont they just bolt the seats to the concrete?

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
I like the new look.

Well from the pics it looks like the UD is all but done and now they are doing from home to the 3rd. My guess is when it gets warmer, say March they will have a month to accelerate the project (seeing as its warmer). Therefore if the seats in the lower are in from 1st to 3rd they might be able to get more in toward the foul poles before the opener.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 12:12 PM)
Well from the pics it looks like the UD is all but done and now they are doing from home to the 3rd.  My guess is when it gets warmer, say March they will have a month to accelerate the project (seeing as its warmer).  Therefore if the seats in the lower are in from 1st to 3rd they might be able to get more in toward the foul poles before the opener.

My question is this:

What if we have an unusually cold March?

Would they put the seats in anyway and re-do them on road trips?

They'd have to, wouldn't they? Since the sold ( or are trying to sell ) the blue seats?

Living in New Jersey, I never really had a problem with the blue seats. They were fine for me :P

I only make it out to Chicago once every few years anyhow, so just being at a game in USCF was enough to make me ignore how the seats looked I guess. By comparison however, wow. The green seats look amazing.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 12:09 PM)
What are they caulking again?  Dont they just bolt the seats to the concrete?

I think they are recaulking between the concrete slabs under the seats. The same concrete we walk on also serves as the roof over the club houses and all the under deck stuff in the park. It is exposed to the weather year round and you don't want any leaks screwing up the stuff below. Think about the scale of the operation, you don't use a little squeezy gun like Tom Silva doing a room addition, you pump it in from 55 gal drums, with the seats out they can get at everything.

I guess you could say that one man's floor is another man's cieling. har