Bye bye Nationals...?

knightni

It sounds to me like the Nationals are as good as gone in D.C. A lot cities would be happy to have the franchise.

If I am not mistaken, 2007 is the last year of the lease at RFK Stadium, so they will be gone after that season barring a last minute miracle.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 10:47 PM)
Yeah I can't see them moving. It'd be even more bad PR for MLB and I think there is no real solid alternative as Vegas is years away from ebing big league ready

I think Montreal and San Juan have nice stadia.

Edited by Balta1701

Charlotte, Nashville or Portland. I don't think MLB would seriously consider Vegas, but I may be wrong. DC wants the team in Virginia, I believe, they want the benefit of having a local team without having to pay the price. I can't say I blame them, though.

Council Forges Deal on Stadium

The dramatic about-face came at 12:40 this morning after the council added its own price cap to the lease, limiting the District's spending to $611 million for the project along the Anacostia River in Southeast Washington. With the cap in place, the council voted 9 to 4 for emergency legislation that approved the lease deal.

It was not clear whether baseball would endorse the spending cap, but Williams's aides said the mayor supported the council's final plan.

(link)

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 10:39 AM)
MLB should build the damn stadium themselves. If there's one thing that bothers me its cities spending hundreds of millions of dollars to put up a stadium for a private business. If baseball wants all the fancy bells and whistles, why can't they pay for them?

To me its no different than cities fighting over companies by offering tax abatements and incentives for them to open their plants in their towns. Cities make a ton of money off of the pro sports teams, just like they do off of having other businesses in their towns, both through jobs and increased tax revenues from spending. Ecomicially this is the same as when Toyota was pitting city against city to see who would offer the best package for them to build an assembly plant.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 10:39 AM)
MLB should build the damn stadium themselves. If there's one thing that bothers me its cities spending hundreds of millions of dollars to put up a stadium for a private business. If baseball wants all the fancy bells and whistles, why can't they pay for them?

I tend to agree with SS2K5's response, but for one thing: The expos/nationals franchise has been dicked around for about 5 years now. This is a MLB induced mess, they need to appease anyone and everyone to get this mess taken care of, and they are treating it like it is no big deal. Im not saying the MLB should finance the whole thing, but they need to stick their hat in the ring as well. They are moving this franchise around like a hot potato, and I really feel bad for the franchise as a whole.

Regardless of the city, I question taxpayers will pay the cost of a new stadium, if put to a vote. If these teams want one the owners should pay for it. In this case MLB should pay for a stadium for the Nationals, their the ones who moved the Expos franchise to Washington D.C.

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 07:31 PM)
I think it would be nice if they moved to nashville.  Not many teams in that area, and nashville is a really nice city.

Oh hell. I'd love it if they moved to Nashville. I'm a nice and easy 2 hour drive from there.

Edited by YASNY