Sox visit to White House may be on Monday

SSH2005

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any guesses as to what Ozzie's response might be?

I think the whole visit to the WH thing is tired. I wonder how many athletes really WANT to go as opposed to feeling like they have to. Most of the time the Pres has no idea who anyone on the team is and that's ok, the Pres should not have enough time to follow that Timo is not on the team any more.

Let the guy have a break.

At this point, Ozzie can do whatever he wants and I'm not going to rip him.

What does it matter if he goes or not.

The people who go should enjoy it and the people who don't go, well, that's their choice.

No one should be criticized for not going.

Sport talk radio is generally ripping the Sox--especially Guillen--for their response to the White House visit. I think generally they're all wet.

1. JR said to Mike North that there had been a few attempts, most recently right after Sox Fest, to set up a White House visit. The White House couldn't accommodate this. Fine. This was one of the few dates available to the WH. Now Guillen is with family on vacation. I back Ozzie on this one.

2. Similarly, there was criticism that a date should have been found when Pods wouldn't be on his honeymoon, Iguchi wouldn't have an event honoring him in Japan, etc. Have these critics ever tried to organize an event where twenty + people could attend. Good luck!

3. The only legitimate criticism, IMO, was that Kenny Williams had to "think about" whether to go because he objects to the war in Iraq. Politics should not be a reason to go or not to go.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
Were the Bulls visits televised when they won them in the 90's?

Jordan didn't make the 1st one and then, I didn't think it was a big deal either. Ozzie's on vacation with his family? Good for him. Spring Training start next week so the guy needs all the relaxation time he can get!

There will only be a few people who will give two s***s about Ozzie going to see the president.

1.) Politicians trying to deflect their own scandals and issues. Or Politician suck ups to the president.

2.) People who are ignorant and dont know the facts, like they have tried for a while to get the invite date down and have had a hard time.

3.) Moronic upset cub fans that have to latch on to anything that takes away from the sox.

I could give two s***s if Ozzies goes. As long as we have some representatives that go. They do the photo op, give the president his white sox jersey and then move on because it really doesnt matter in the big picture.

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
Sport talk radio is generally ripping the Sox--especially Guillen--for their response to the White House visit.  I think generally they're all wet.

1.  JR said to Mike North that there had been a few attempts, most recently right after Sox Fest, to set up a White House visit.  The White House couldn't accommodate this.  Fine.  This was one of the few dates available to the WH.  Now Guillen is with family on vacation.  I back Ozzie on this one.

2.  Similarly, there was criticism that a date should have been found when Pods wouldn't be on his honeymoon, Iguchi wouldn't have an event honoring him in Japan, etc.  Have these critics ever tried to organize an event where twenty + people could attend.  Good luck!

3. The only legitimate criticism, IMO, was that Kenny Williams had to "think about" whether to go because he objects to the war in Iraq.  Politics should not be a reason to go or not to go.

I don't even have a problem with KW if he decided not to go. If his convictions were that strong, then more power to him.

Ozzie needs and deserves his vacation. Plus, he's been to the White House before and met Bush (2003 Marlins). The team is going to be well represented, even if some the key players won't be there. A little baby like Frank won't go, probably because he's still pouting. But it's nice that other departed players like Marte, Blum, Harris and Rowand are going. It's something that may be a once in a lifetime thing.

Edited by robinventura23

So obviously, this thing at the White House isn't open to the public but I wonder if it's worth going down there on Monday to see if there's any buzz. Anybody know what time this thing is going down? Probably not worth it to go down there but I only live a mile and a half from the White House...

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
Dan Patrick is supposedly going to talk about Ozzie, maybe he already did, not sure yet.

It was a lot of nothing from Dan and Keith.

One said he ought to go, one said it's up to him.

Can't remember who took which side, and I don't care - I knew they wouldn't agree, since that would make for bad radio.