ESPN Report: Sham-me Sosa Retires

SSH2005

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
I don't have one iota of sympathy for him.  He could have been a great baseball player.  Instead, he settled on being a slugger with selfish attitude.  I don't really care what happens to him this year.  In baseball or not ... he's not worth my attention.

His homerun race didn't even register a blimp on my radar. I always thought those two were on something. Now I'm convinced. He'll probably wind up in the HoF, but I wish they had a special place for guys like him. I don't take pleasure in watching him crash and burn, but I'm with YASNY, I have no sympathy at all.

Sosa.rum.cork.juice

He'll play somewhere, hit 12 or 13 home runs and retire. He's got too big an ego not to go for 600, no matter how many ABs it takes. If he retires, some team will sign him at the deadline, hoping for some punch in a lineup.

Sad.

And not because Sammy Sosa was ever anywhere close to a favorite player of mine--the best opinion I had of him was when he played for the Sox--undisciplined but a ton of talent. But he was a kid then, and so was I. I was only 12 when he was traded for George Bell, and I kind of didn't get it because, well, I was only 12.

He's in denial about his depreciation, not an enviable place for the human spirit. Then again, I am uncompelled to empathize. Spending one's prime using one's talents not for the betterment of the team but for himself isn't the greatest exercise of self-preservation, to say the least.

And now what's probably best is if he lets the sun set on his career if he doesn't want to take a gift contract from the Nationals.

He'll have a hard time staying over the Mendoza line if he signs with a team.

I wish Sosa would sign with the Nationals. He wouldn't do much in that park, unless he found some more vitamins,  and you know Frank Robinson will get in his face. It would be pretty entertaining watching that show.

Yep...

Sosa - steroids + RFK Stadium = disaster

Borchard would probably hit more homers in that park than Sosa. Maybe KW can work another fleecing of Bowden. Bowden likes those toolsy players. Maybe KW can pull another Alex Escobar for Jerry Owens type trade using Borchard this time.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:14 AM)
I wish Sosa would sign with the Nationals. He wouldn't do much in that park, unless he found some more vitamins,  and you know Frank Robinson will get in his face. It would be pretty entertaining watching that show.

My thoughts as well.

I would love to see Robinson's reaction the first time Sosa hopped after flying out deep in RFK.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 07:21 AM)
Yep...

Sosa - steroids + RFK Stadium = disaster

Borchard would probably hit more homers in that park than Sosa.  Maybe KW can work another fleecing of Bowden.  Bowden likes those toolsy players.  Maybe KW can pull another Alex Escobar for Jerry Owens type trade using Borchard this time.

Borchard would probably hit more home runs in RFK than Sosa would in Coors field without Sosa having his special vitamins which prevent him from speaking English in front of Congress.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 10:55 AM)
And if it's the Indians...once again will we hear people saying how this signing might put them over the top in the AL Central, like we did last year?

A better question for Juan Gone would be, if he gets signed, could he make it to 1B without pulling a hamstring?

As for Sammy, you will not be missed.

The Nationals don't even think that Sosa is worth as much as what Timo earned last season...

Sosa rejects Nationals' offer

Slugger turns down one-year, $500,000 non-guaranteed deal

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/NASApp...t=.jsp&c_id=was

WASHINGTON -- Outfielder Sammy Sosa has rejected the one-year, $500,000 non-guaranteed Major League offer from the Nationals, according to general manager Jim Bowden in an e-mail to MLB.com.

Sosa wanted at least $1 million to sign with the team, but Bowden was not willing to increase the offer.  The Nationals originally had offered Sosa a Minor League deal with an invitation to Spring Training.

"We respect Sammy and what he has accomplished in the game," Bowden said. "We wish him well and hope that he is able to come back and perform like he did a couple of years ago. As long as he is not in our division, we'll be rooting for him to win Comeback Player of the Year."

A source familiar with the negotiations said if Sosa was offered a deal similar to Frank Thomas, who received a $500,000 guaranteed contract with incentives from the Athletics, he would have taken the deal. But the think tank in the Nationals' front office was very concerned about Sosa's eroding skills.

The Nationals don't even think that Sosa is worth as much as what Timo earned last season...

Sosa rejects Nationals' offer

Slugger turns down one-year, $500,000 non-guaranteed deal

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/NASApp...t=.jsp&c_id=was

Nothing but greed on So-So's part. He made 70M with that ridiculaus contract the sCrUBS gave him.