Remember those WMDs?

southsider2k5

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 02:00 AM)
You speculate this.  I'll speculate that.  You speculate a response, then I'll do likewise. 

People. Nobody here KNOWS a damn thing about what was or was not there and what our, and others, intellingence reports were saying.  Saddam was a brutal dictator that was playing hardball with UN inspections and he was shooting at US planes assigned to enforce UN sanctions.  He was giving the impression that he had WMD's.  These things are facts.  All this speculation is meaningless and petty.

We do know, Bush and Powel told us. Remember the addresses to the UN? That is what they told the world to gather support for an invasion, most of the world said they were wrong, we invaded, then talked about Saddam being evil when none were found.

Are you saying we can't believe what our government tells us?

This just in

Ex-CIA Official Faults Use of Data on Iraq

Intelligence 'Misused' to Justify War, He Says

By Walter Pincus

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, February 10, 2006; Page A01

The former CIA official who coordinated U.S. intelligence on the Middle East until last year has accused the Bush administration of "cherry-picking" intelligence on Iraq to justify a decision it had already reached to go to war, and of ignoring warnings that the country could easily fall into violence and chaos after an invasion to overthrow Saddam Hussein.

Paul R. Pillar, who was the national intelligence officer for the Near East and South Asia from 2000 to 2005, acknowledges the U.S. intelligence agencies' mistakes in concluding that Hussein's government possessed weapons of mass destruction. But he said those misjudgments did not drive the administration's decision to invade.

"Official intelligence on Iraqi weapons programs was flawed, but even with its flaws, it was not what led to the war," Pillar wrote in the upcoming issue of the journal Foreign Affairs. Instead, he asserted, the administration "went to war without requesting -- and evidently without being influenced by -- any strategic-level intelligence assessments on any aspect of Iraq."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...&referrer=email

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More breaking news on this...

Saddam himself caught on tape.

Secret audiotapes of Saddam Hussein discussing ways to attack America with weapons of mass destruction will be the subject of an ABC "Nightline" program Wednesday night, a former federal prosecutor told Cybercast News Service.

The tapes are being called the "smoking gun" of weapons of mass destruction (WMD) in Iraq. The New York Sun reported that the tapes have been authenticated and currently are being reviewed by the U.S. House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page...T20060215c.html

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 02:33 PM)
If the only place you can find this is on Insight or WorldNetDaily, I'm not buying it.

Wait sources matter now? But I read it on a blog, doesn't that count? :bang

Supposedly ABC is going to run lots of this on Nightline.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
Sources do matter.

ABC is running this. Not Fox News. CNS news is merely excerpting what the material within the special will cover. I'm sure Nightline will discuss, and possibly air, the tapes and validate the sources.

On Tuesday night, Loftus told Cybercast News Service that ABC's "Nightline" would air an "extensive report" on the tapes Wednesday night. Loftus also described an ABC News "teaser," which reportedly contains audio of Saddam Hussein discussing ways to attack America with WMD. "Nightline will have a lot more," said Loftus.

The article does oversensationalize the tape as a "smoking gun," so I'm a bit weary of it's contents. I'm a also a bit curious why this news hasn't been circulating around the media--ideally Fox News. I'll have to watch myself and judge.