Fast Food Trash Tax

mreye

QUOTE(mreye @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)

I'm all for doing more to stop littering, but this is not the solution. The restaurant isn't the problem - the lazy asses who litter are.

Want revenue for clean-up? Tell the cops to ticket for littering when they see it. And tell the press you intend to do that. The combined effects should help.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 08:23 PM)
I'm all for doing more to stop littering, but this is not the solution.  The restaurant isn't the problem - the lazy asses who litter are.

Want revenue for clean-up?  Tell the cops to ticket for littering when they see it.  And tell the press you intend to do that.  The combined effects should help.

WORD

Wait you want City of Chicago employees to work? That's rich.

True story alert.

One day last week, while walking down Van Buren to the train while crossing Dearborn I notice that the lights on Dearborn are both red and green at the sametime, while the lights on the other road in the intersection are cycling as normal from green to red, and back to green. I didn't see a traffic cop there, but notice there was one at the next intersection of State and VB. As I approach that intersection I notice the traffic cop isn't directing traffic, instead standing off to the south east corner just watching the cars go by. I walked up to her and told her about the problem, to which she saids "OK". As I walked away she just stood there. She never made an effort to call anyone or walk that whole block to direct traffic. Instead she continued to stand off out of traffic and watch the cars go by. I looked back every so often to see if she moved as I continued to the train station. In my two block walk, she didn't budge. She never directed a car, she never tried to fix the problem one block away. Someone could have been killed by the confusion in the lights, but she didn't lift a finger to do anything about it.

if I was a cop, I'd hit every "tom dick and harry" with a $75 littering fee when they threw a cigarette out the window or into the street.

as for fast food tax, i guess its no different than paying for disposal of tires, motor oil, etc.

Edited by jasonxctf

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
Want revenue for clean-up?  Tell the cops to ticket for littering when they see it.  And tell the press you intend to do that.  The combined effects should help.

A-frickin'-men!

Too many people in my neighborhood just throw their trash on the street, never mind that there are plenty of garbage cans within a block's walk. Is it so hard to carry your potato chip bag that far?

I could go on, but I need to keep my stress level down.

QUOTE(Balance @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
A-frickin'-men!

Too many people in my neighborhood just throw their trash on the street, never mind that there are plenty of garbage cans within a block's walk.  Is it so hard to carry your potato chip bag that far?

I could go on, but I need to keep my stress level down.

In general, I think cops don't go after things like littering because there are more important things to do. This is certainly true, but they aren't doing those things either a lot of the time. Its also true that doing little things like ticketing litterbugs and getting out of the cars to actually talk with people go a LONG way towards making communities safer, and more likely to help out the police on more serious crimes.

But they have to market those efforts, too. Have the chief or superintendant or whomever get on TV and say, "listen - we are tired of the trash on the streets. Our beat cops are going to hand out tickets for littering like they were coupons for the local grocery, and its starting right now." And then do it. Guaranteed, littering will be lessened (not entirely prevented, of course).

The ultimate fix, of course, is for parents to teach their kids to value their communities, their neighbors and their environment enough to not do that. But that's a pipe dream, I suppose.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
In general, I think cops don't go after things like littering because there are more important things to do.  This is certainly true, but they aren't doing those things either a lot of the time.  Its also true that doing little things like ticketing litterbugs and getting out of the cars to actually talk with people go a LONG way towards making communities safer, and more likely to help out the police on more serious crimes.

But they have to market those efforts, too.  Have the chief or superintendant or whomever get on TV and say, "listen - we are tired of the trash on the streets.  Our beat cops are going to hand out tickets for littering like they were coupons for the local grocery, and its starting right now."  And then do it.  Guaranteed, littering will be lessened (not entirely prevented, of course).

The ultimate fix, of course, is for parents to teach their kids to value their communities, their neighbors and their environment enough to not do that.  But that's a pipe dream, I suppose.

Here's what some people are teaching their kids. I live on a river and across from me is a park. This woman had her (about) 5 yr old kid s*** in a bucket and then she dumped it into the river. And yes, there are bathrooms for the people to use, so it's not like they didn't have somewhere to go, or even somewhere to dump the bucket of s***. She didn't have to dump it in the river.