Sox sign 10-year sponsorship deal with Miller Beer

SSH2005

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

World Champion White Sox sign 10-year sponsorship deal with Chicago's no. 1 brewer

Miller Brewing Company to significantly expand marketing support

MILWAUKEE -- Miller Brewing Company, Chicago's no. 1 brewer, confirmed today that it has reached a major sponsorship agreement with the World Champion Chicago White Sox, securing a 10-year extension to continue as the team's Official Malt Beverage partner. Miller has been a sponsor of the White Sox for 20 years; this new deal extends the brewer's relationship with the team through the 2016 season.

The comprehensive sponsorship agreement provides Miller, also the Official Beer Sponsor of the Chicago Bears, with the opportunity to develop enhanced retail and consumer promotional programming connected to the White Sox, as well as in-ballpark visibility. Miller Lite and Miller Genuine Draft will be the primary brands featured in the partnership.

"Baseball and business are all about relationships, like the bond between a team and its fans," said White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf. "The White Sox organization's long-term relationship with Miller Brewing has connected our fans to their beers, and we look forward to many more years of a partnership that benefits Miller, the White Sox and our fans."

Tom Long, Miller's chief marketing officer, said the sponsorship extension solidifies the company's long-range local marketing plans.

"Extending the White Sox deal was our foremost objective in the Chicago area, because it paves the way for Miller to enter the beer industry's critical summer-selling season in a much bigger and more dynamic way," Long said. "The White Sox are one of the nation's hottest sports properties and will help us strengthen our leadership position in Chicago over the long-term. It's great knowing that Sox fans for years to come will toast the team's victories with a Miller Lite or Miller Genuine Draft."

Miller's new deal with the defending World Champions includes malt-beverage category exclusivity on all WGN and WCIU television broadcasts and all radio broadcasts; extensive in-game advertising and promotional features during White Sox TV and radio broadcasts; advertising on the team's Spanish-language broadcasts; advertising during the "White Sox Weekly" program on WSCR-AM; exclusive category rights to the team's name and logo; presence in the team's yearbook, calendar, game program, scorecard and pocket schedules; extensive signage throughout U.S. Cellular Field; naming rights to the Miller Lite Bullpen Sports Bar and Miller Lite Party Deck; and participating sponsorship of SoxFest.

Miller Brewing Company's Chicago-area market share is more than twice that of its nearest competitor. Miller Lite and Miller Genuine Draft are the two best-selling brands in the Chicago area, and a total of five Miller Brewing Company brands are among Chicago's 10 best-selling beer brands. (Source: ACNielsen)

Milwaukee-based Miller Brewing Company is the oldest major brewer in America, celebrating its 150th anniversary in 2005. Miller is a wholly owned subsidiary of SABMiller plc, one of the world's largest brewers. Miller's principal beer brands are Miller Lite, Miller Genuine Draft and Miller High Life. The company imports Pilsner Urquell, Peroni Nastro Azzurro and Foster's and has craft brews Leinenkugel's and Henry Weinhard's. Its portfolio of brands also includes Milwaukee's Best and Sharp's, a non-alcohol brew. Miller produces Icehouse from the Plank Road Brewery, a small division of Miller; Olde English 800; and Mickey's Malt Liquor. More information about Miller Brewing Company is available at the company's corporate web site, www.MillerBrewing.com.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)
I like Bud better, but I always thought Cubs beer was Oldstyle?

What is even funnier or sadder for the Cubs is that Miller and Bud are primary rivals of the Cubs, Brewers and Cardinals respectively.

They have old style, but their main beer is the Bud Products.

Probably my biggest complaint with the White Sox organization is that they serve Pepsi products at the stadium.

Miller is better than Budweiser... but I don't always booze it up at the games. They switch to Coca-cola also, I'll be a happy man

Also, gimme three more cashews in those cashew raisins...

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
Wuvs MGD, but would like to see more imports as well.

Are the exclusive beer associations unique to Chicago teams?

I don't think so. In the Target Center here, it's difficult to get a beer other than a Miller product, but in the Hefty Bag, it's about 50/50, even though Miller is the Official Beer Sponsor of the Vikings.

I best speak with my Miller rep prior to my next Chicago trip...

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
Probably my biggest complaint with the White Sox organization is that they serve Pepsi products at the stadium. 

Miller is better than Budweiser... but I don't always booze it up at the games.  They switch to Coca-cola also, I'll be a happy man

Also,  gimme three more cashews in those cashew raisins...

No, they have to stay with Pepsi. Coke tastes awful and since I don't drink beer, I need my Pepsi.

Miller is better than Budweiser... but I don't always booze it up at the games.  They switch to Coca-cola also, I'll be a happy man

Try a miller and some corn off the cob, you will be in heaven.

Well played curb your enthusiasm reference

So i don't consider myself one to be affected by advertising very much...but the one thing that has had an affect on me is Miller sponsoring the Sox and Hawks.

I used to be a Coors Light drinker, but i decided to give Miller a try, because i felt it was only fair since they were a huge sponsor of the Sox and Hawks...maybe i should support them. Now i only drink Miller as my "cheap" beer as opposed to Coors or Bud, etc.

Plus, i actually think it tastes better than Coors Light, which i used to think was delicious.

Edited by IlliniKrush

So i don't consider myself one to be affected by advertising very much...but the one thing that has had an affect on me is Miller sponsoring the Sox and Hawks.

I used to be a Coors Light drinker, but i decided to give Miller a try, because i felt it was only fair since they were a huge sponsor of the Sox and Hawks...maybe i should support them. Now i only drink Miller as my "cheap" beer as opposed to Coors or Bud, etc. 

Plus, i actually think it tastes better than Coors Light, which i used to think was delicious.

I used to love Coors Light as well but now I dislike it. Not sure what happened there.

I'm glad Miller is the official beer of the White Sox but don't they sell imports in the upper deck level of the Cell? I seem to remember that they do...

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)

Having worked for a Miller distrubutorship for 5 years, I have to say that I am thrilled about this. Its great to see all of the different beer/team related things that come out every year to get into the baseball season. Be it banners, signs or neons. Besides, Miller is the better beer :D . On a side note, do not be suprised if you start to see some MGD light handles pop up around the ballpark in different places. That beer has been a primary focus of the brewery in terms of growth over the past few years and has been met with some success.

Also, after this year, Miller will NO longer be the sponsor of the Hawks or Bulls at the UC. Bud will be taking that over. Miller finally gave it up because there is no money in it like there used to be. Lets face it, its hard to justify spending millions of dollars on a sponsorship when the Hawks are lucky if they draw 5000 people. Its going to be a weird adjustment going to the UC and seeing that, but I understand the logic behind the move.

In the end! Way to go Miller! I will be looking forward to many a nice frosty Miller Lite in my seats this season!

:cheers :cheers :cheers