Fukuyamia and Spengler

Phuck the Cubs

I was wondering if you guys know anything about these 2 dudes named Fukuyama and Spengler? I've got to write a paper depicting these 2 guys discussing why the US is in Iraq. My opinion of these men is that they are stupid, b/c they say the US is spreading democracy, but in different ways. My opinion why we're there is b/c this is the US being bent on world domination. Any help would be useful.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 07:41 PM)
I was wondering if you guys know anything about these 2 dudes named Fukuyama and Spengler? I've got to write a paper depicting these 2 guys discussing why the US is in Iraq. My opinion of these men is that they are stupid, b/c they say the US is spreading democracy, but in different ways. My opinion why we're there is b/c this is the US being bent on world domination. Any help would be useful.

I'm assuming here that the Fukuyama would be Francis Fukuyama.

http://www.antiwar.com/justin/?articleid=3035

"Famous academic Francis Fukuyama, one of the founding fathers of the neo-conservative movement that underlies the policies of US President George W. Bush's administration, said on July 13 that he would not vote for the incumbent in the November 2 US Presidential election.

"In addition to distancing himself from the current administration, Fukuyama told Time magazine that his old friend, US Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, should resign."

Once a rising young star in the neocon firmament, Fukuyama signed a 1998 letter to then President Clinton, sponsored by the Project for a New American Century, urging him to take out after Iraq, and another one shortly after 9/11, urging George W. Bush not to be distracted by Osama bin Laden when he should really be going after Iraq, Hezbollah, Syria, and the Palestinians – oh, and don't forget that "a serious and victorious war on terrorism will require a large increase in defense spending."

But people can always change their minds – yes, even at the End of History.

--

Fukuyama now regrets his backing of the Iraq war. More info here: http://www.pressaction.com/news/weblog/ful...mmings11302004/

Fukuyama’s essay is (as to be expected from the author of the excellent book PostHuman Future in which he is far more implicitly anti-capitalist than most liberals) quite brilliant within its own limited context, specifically in its realization that many neoconservatives (of which he counts himself one proudly)—I am paraphrasing—have a psychological block against seeing “reality” since they see all threats to the United States as existential, much like the Israelis with which they identify. Fukuyama believes that the Iraq war may have been the biggest strategic blunder in American history (duh!) and is especially incensed at the lack of “leverage” gained with Sharon. After Fukuyama’s polemic, it is said to have become (and the current issue is a definite indication) official editorial policy at this influential neocon rag that Israel must not be allowed to hold onto part of the West Bank in exchange for its rope-a-dope with El Presidente Bush in regard to some such Gaza Pullouts.

Pause for a second and realize that this is Mr. End of History, on the board of the NED (the real policymakers), one of the most celebrated conservative intellectuals in policy making circles, realizing the unfortunate—and very humanist of him—psychologically rooted power of the Likud/AIPAC nexus.

Hope that helps. /totally not writting procedural lesson plans like I should be right now (that is a lesson plan that consists of "Play review game")