Rap Sucks

DukeNukeEm

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 01:07 AM)
:headbang

Haha, no not really.  :D  It all starts with RUN DMC in 1983 when the Party Rap Era was starting to fade a bit. 

You like Sage Francis?  He used to come on 89.3 (Northwestern University) on the "Time Travel Show" all the time between 1998 and 2002 with Sole, Dose One, Atoms Family, Slug Of Atmosphere, Aesoprock, etc.  The show came on once a week for 3 hours every Thursday night, and I recorded it as often as I could.  I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 Time Travel tapes buried in my closet, including a lot of those live freestyle sessions with Sage Francis, etc.  I also have some Non Prophets (Sage's original crew) records somewhere too.

Huge fan of Sage, also bought Atmosphere's newest, and I grew to love it. Whatever you can give I'll take. I think Bridle by Sage is one of the greatest music tracks start to finish. He's a poet set to music.

RUN DMC

Public Enemy

Beastie Boys

Ultramagnetic MC's

the Roots

Talib Kweli

Atmosphere

Mobb Deep

Nas

Common

Wu-Tang

Outkast

Eminem

Big L

Big Pun

Biggie

Cypress Hill

Pharcyde

Xzibit

a Tribe Called Quest

Jurrasic 5

DJ Shadow

Digable Planets

Dr. Octagon

K-os

Gang Starr

Mos Def

Pharoahe Monch

I could go on forever, to say an entire genre of music is crap is just ignorant.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 12:00 AM)
I just think it's pretty lame to start a thread titled 'Rap Sucks'.  It's a very popular form of music and I take offense when I hear a comment like that.  Can you imagine the uproar if I started a 'Dave Matthews Band Sucks' or 'U2 Sucks' thread?

Well.. the Dave Matthews Band does suck... :lol:

Regardless... the title of the thread is pretty clear.. and if you don't have any purpose other then to come in here and s*** back on someone's opinion, then that's on you. Some rap does suck. So does some pop, country, rock, classic, etc, etc...

Pretty lame to take offense to someone's opinion that didn't personally attack you, no?

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 08:11 AM)
Regardless... the title of the thread is pretty clear.. and if you don't have any purpose other then to come in here and s*** back on someone's opinion, then that's on you. Some rap does suck. So does some pop, country, rock, classic, etc, etc...

Pretty lame to take offense to someone's opinion that didn't personally attack you, no?

BTW if someone started a thread that was titled " Sucks" you might not take it very well. It's ignorant and adds no value. And I'm not sure why you love picking on me.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)
BTW if someone started a thread that was titled " Sucks" you might not take it very well.  It's ignorant and adds no value.  And I'm not sure why you love picking on me.

Awww.... Sqwert.. I'm sorry... don't cry... it'll be ok. ;)

I'm not picking on you anymore then you are picking on them for their opinions.

Touche... eh?

People post stuff all the time I don't agree with. If I went around posting my beefs I'd have more posts then Southsider... :lolhitting

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 09:03 PM)
OK.  Anybody want to introduce me to GOOD rap?

Is it kinda like being shot in the back of the head instead of being burned to death?

Sure, making a thread based on not exploring the genre entirely is somewhat ignorant dont you think. Some of my favorite albums are very likeable, and not close to what you hear on the radio. If you dont like harsh gangsta style, maybe you should try something a little more lyrical like Common or Outkast's ATLiens. Alot of people like smooth Jurrasic 5 because their beats are well put together and their lyrics are more focused on non-violence. Personally I like all kids of Rap music, but these are some of my favorites. I also like Talib, alot of old Biggie, and anything by Goode Mobb.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 09:03 PM)
Lets see here.

Lack of imagination in the lyrics?  Check

"Artists" who brag about what thugs they are?  Check

Lyrics that glorify the worst of human behavior including drug use, murder, prostitution, abuse of women?  Check.

Yeah.  Rap f***ing sucks.

Bling Bling? Check

Grillz? Check

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 12:00 AM)
I just think it's pretty lame to start a thread titled 'Rap Sucks'.  It's a very popular form of music and I take offense when I hear a comment like that.  Can you imagine the uproar if I started a 'Dave Matthews Band Sucks' or 'U2 Sucks' thread?

Uproar?? Dam dude we're talking about music here not Mohammed....

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
If Freddie Mercury came out (no pun intended) and said he was "cappin' hoez from 9 til noon" I would listen to rap for the rest of life.

LMAO!!!!

Speaking of, I just received my tickets for the 3/23 concert - now I have submit my vacation form and I will be good to go. Now to find out if Brian or my god-mother is attending with me.

Seriously though. Just like any genre of music, there are extremes and bad kinds. Some rap is crazy gangsta crap. Some is poetic and artistic. You need to explore both kinds to truly appreciate the genre. Think of Rock music. What is someone said that it was crap based on what they heard on the radio, you would come back and suggest other artists and albums that are truly great. It is the same with Rap music.