Rap Sucks

DukeNukeEm

As far as rap goes, a lot of mainstream stuff is garbage but there is some quality rap out there. If Kanye West could do a song without a sample, he would be atop the rap game right now. Young Jeezy has impressed me with his mixtapes and his mainstream CD's. He has a new mixtape coming out now that I can't wait to get my hands on. Trap or Die was phenomenal. 50 Cent is highly overrated IMO. Lloyd Banks is the best rapper in G-Unit. I also like all of Dipset (Cam'ron, Juelz Santana, Jim Jones). Lil Wayne's last 2 albums have been amazing too. As far as the more underground stuff, Mos Def is my favorite. He can rap about anything and beat 90% of the world in a freestyle. And for the record, Eminem has fallen off a bit.

As far as older stuff, any Biggy Smalls or 2Pac stuff is always on my playlist. People immediately assume all of 2Pac's stuff was about the Thug Life but it wasn't.....Thug Mansion, Changes, etc. I am asctually watching a movie about 2Pac's life for my music class and it is very interesting.

Public Enemy and Run DMC and NWA were classic. Old school LL Cool J was great too. To say that rap, as a whole sucks, is absurd. There are some pretty garbage rappers (D4L) but the rap industry is at it's peak.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate rap. I have no interest in what these guys represent, especially their abuse of the english language. Young, black and urban is not something I am able to relate to. Luckily there are plenty of young white males that can. Peace G.

When I see a guy like the Birdman on TV, talking like he's got s*** in his mouth, with gold teeth and teardrops on his face, surrounded by a beautiful house...one thing comes to mind - :puke

But hey, its America. :usa

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 10:45 PM)
As far as rap goes, a lot of mainstream stuff is garbage but there is some quality rap out there. If Kanye West could do a song without a sample, he would be atop the rap game right now. Young Jeezy has impressed me with his mixtapes and his mainstream CD's. He has a new mixtape coming out now that I can't wait to get my hands on. Trap or Die was phenomenal. 50 Cent is highly overrated IMO. Lloyd Banks is the best rapper in G-Unit. I also like all of Dipset (Cam'ron, Juelz Santana, Jim Jones). Lil Wayne's last 2 albums have been amazing too. As far as the more underground stuff, Mos Def is my favorite. He can rap about anything and beat 90% of the world in a freestyle. And for the record, Eminem has fallen off a bit.

As far as older stuff, any Biggy Smalls or 2Pac stuff is always on my playlist. People immediately assume all of 2Pac's stuff was about the Thug Life but it wasn't.....Thug Mansion, Changes, etc. I am asctually watching a movie about 2Pac's life for my music class and it is very interesting.

Public Enemy and Run DMC and NWA were classic. Old school LL Cool J was great too. To say that rap, as a whole sucks, is absurd. There are some pretty garbage rappers (D4L) but the rap industry is at it's peak.

Man, you say alot of mainstream rap is crap and then state you listen to crappy rap. Dipset = crap. Seriously, they come up with the stupidest rhymes ever. E.G.

I chew bubblegum

Bubblegum I chew

Like bubblegum, I'll chew into you

G-Unit is horrible as well in my opinion. All of them. They're only good for party music when no one is paying attention to what they're saying. Lil' Wayne's "The Carter" was a great album, but "The Carter 2" is horrible IMO. And I was a huge Eminem fan, but he has not fallen off a bit, he's fallen off a ton. All he raps about nowadays is his daughter or shoving gerbals up people's asses.

I like some of the old school stuff you listen to though. Good choices all around.

Here's some of the current rappers I listen to:

Nas

Crooked I

Saigon

Sly Boogy

Chamillionaire(Don't let "Turn It Up" fool you; listen to songs like "Rain" & "Void In My Life")

Talib Kweli

Mos Def

Papoose

Common

Lupe Fiasco

AZ

J.R. Writer

Dilated Peoples

Akon

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 07:04 PM)
Man, you say alot of mainstream rap is crap and then state you listen to crappy rap. Dipset = crap. Seriously, they come up with the stupidest rhymes ever. E.G.

I chew bubblegum

Bubblegum I chew

Like bubblegum, I'll chew into you

G-Unit is horrible as well in my opinion. All of them. They're only good for party music when no one is paying attention to what they're saying. Lil' Wayne's "The Carter" was a great album, but "The Carter 2" is horrible IMO. And I was a huge Eminem fan, but he has not fallen off a bit, he's fallen off a ton. All he raps about nowadays is his daughter or shoving gerbals up people's asses.

I like some of the old school stuff you listen to though. Good choices all around.

Here's some of the current rappers I listen to:

Nas

Crooked I

Saigon

Sly Boogy

Chamillionaire(Don't let "Turn It Up" fool you; listen to songs like "Rain" & "Void In My Life")

Talib Kweli

Mos Def

Papoose

Common

Lupe Fiasco

AZ

J.R. Writer

Dilated Peoples

Akon

I am going to have to agree to disagree with you as far as Dipset goes. But overall, I think they are good. But I can't believe I forgot Nas. One of the best pure rhyming rappers of all-time and not to mention the greatest diss song in the history of the universe in "Ether."