The Cubs scam their fans AGAIN

southsider2k5

-The knothole won't have a view, like the Cubs said it would.

-The Club won't be accessible to "regular" season ticketholders, it will be sold separately as a luxury suite.

-The new bleacher seats will cost $60 or $20 more per game than the regular old bleachers.

-The ballhawks are going to be SOL.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Knot whole story

Wrigley's new viewing area won't allow fans to peek in on games

By Paul Sullivan

Tribune staff reporter

February 8, 2006, 10:57 PM CST

A sneak peek into the Cubs' $13.5 million Wrigley Field bleacher project on Wednesday revealed some distinct changes that weren't discussed in the team's original expansion plans.

At his first news conference regarding the bleachers since construction to add 1,800 new seats began in October, Cubs executive vice-president of business operations Mark McGuire announced the open "knothole" space in right field won't offer a view from Sheffield Avenue during games, that the Batter's Eye Suite in center field won't be accessible to regular ticket-holders and that the reserved "bleacher box" seats in the right-field corner will be priced at $60.

McGuire also said the project is on schedule and everything will be ready for the Cubs home opener April 7 against St. Louis.

He said the organization is confident the new bleachers will be "well-received" when fans get a look at the finished product.

"We're trying to re-create a culture that existed before, [one] that we appreciate a great deal," McGuire said.

Here's a brief synopsis of some of the changes in store for Cubs fans at Wrigley Field this year:

Knothole view: The new section in the right-field wall replaced a solid metal gate and originally was supposed to offer fans outside the park a free ground-level view from behind a chain-link fence on Sheffield. Local restoration architect John Vinci, a consultant on the project, said in December the idea was to "give something back to the people." But McGuire said Wednesday "the person on the sidewalk who hasn't bought a ticket isn't entitled" to a free look at the game.

"The feature is really intended to be a plus for a commuter as he or she walks from their homes to the L," McGuire said. "They will be able to walk by any time, any day, and look into the ballpark."

Except when a game is being played.

McGuire said the team is considering installing a wind screen over the knothole fence on game days. Fans inside the bleachers, walking through the area on their way to concessions, will be able to view the action through a chain-link fence, much like the Bullpen Sports Bar at U.S. Cellular Field.

Batter's eye: While attempting to get community support for the project in September 2001, the Cubs sent a form letter to neighborhood residents announcing the plans. Among the attributes referred to in the letter was a "Batter's Eye Restaurant" that would allow bleacher fans a "chance to view the game through tinted glass while eating in a new enclosed area in center field."

But McGuire referred to the new structure Wednesday as a "suite" for 75-100 fans and revealed it would be sold as a luxury suite.

"It's really a group party area, like a large mezzanine suite that will be used for group entertainment on game days," he said. That means groups can rent it for a game, but fans buying bleacher tickets will not be allowed inside.

Bleacher boxes: During the recent Cubs Convention, McGuire revealed the plan for 250 "bleacher box seats" in the right-field corner.

On Wednesday he announced tickets would be priced at $60, or $20 more than the highest priced regular bleacher seat. Unlike the bench seating in the bleachers, the "box" seats will have backs on them.

Like the dugout boxes and bullpen boxes, these "premium" seats will not go on sale until around March 15, about three weeks after individual tickets are sold.

Rooftops and ballhawks: The tops of most of the surrounding apartment buildings still can be seen from inside the park, and with the exception of the building next to Murphy's Bleachers, most of the rooftops still can see much of the ballpark.

"Our belief is that the rooftop business will thrive," McGuire said.

The ballhawks, however, may be an endangered species. Unless they plan on using stilts and fishing nets, the fans who stand on Waveland and Sheffield Avenues waiting for balls to leave the park won't get much action because the additional rows of bleacher seats are high enough to keep most balls inside the park.

According to the fan blog on Ballhawk.com, 39 home runs left the ballpark last year, or about one every other game. The Web site also claimed 756 balls left the park during batting practices, or about nine per home date.

Look for those numbers to drop drastically.

Smoking: McGuire said the team still is studying the city's new no-smoking ordinance to see how it affects the open-air areas in the bleachers and the roof-deck patio facing the intersection of Clark and Addison. Smoking has been prohibited in the seating area for several years.

[email protected]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 09:05 AM)
How sickening is it that the Flubs do this coming off of a 4th place finish (even behind the Brewers) and a White Sox World Series?  How do their fans let them get away with this?  f***ing lemmings, all of them.

I couldn't care less. It's not my problem.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 08:18 AM)
I didn't think anything could shock me about that place anymore, but when I saw that figure I was genuinely stunned.

SIXTY dollars to sit in the bleachers......damn.....

That's just face... from a scalper they can go up as high as $200!!! A Sox/Cubs game near $1000!!! :o

Oh, and THIS is interesting, too:

"Fans inside the bleachers, walking through the area on their way to concessions, will be able to view the action through a chain-link fence, much like the Bullpen Sports Bar at U.S. Cellular Field."

WHY would The Baseball Mecca Of The World want to do ANYTHING even slightly resembling that CESSPOOL on 35th Street?????

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)
That's just face... from a scalper they can go up as high as $200!!! A Sox/Cubs game near $1000!!!  :o

And the funny thing is the scalper is probably owned by the Cubs as well :bang

This is just too funny.

Can you imagine the uproar if the Sox ever pulled a stunt like this? Jesus people were holding grudges from the white flag trade for years...

According to the fan blog on Ballhawk.com, 39 home runs left the ballpark last year, or about one every other game. The Web site also claimed 756 balls left the park during batting practices, or about nine per home date.

Those losers with absolutely no life actually have a website. Get a grip dorks. It's a friggin baseball!

I think I am going to go on their site and see what a life wasted looks like.

Well, I guess they have a diffrent attitude towards their fans in SanFran:

The ground level area at McCovey Cove in right field provides a small, but free "knothole" view of the playing field for pedestrians walking along the Bay during the game.

:fight Now buy more beer, Lemming!

Edited by RibbieRubarb

Here is an email I just sent to [email protected]

Not trying to be a pessimist, but please explain to me the thrill of an adult man standing on the street and staring at wall for five hours waiting for a $5 baseball.

Truth be told, I am a diehard fan of the WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX!

Sorry, but when your told your a second-class basement-dwelling citizen for your entire life and then you own the penthouse, you tend to brag a bit.

Anyways, my brother-in-law has season tickets to the Cubs (I like him anyway) and I watch these 40-year-old guys with their gloves and I just don't get it. Why not buy a ticket and go to the game since you're there anyways, or go home or to a bar and watch the game on TV.

Oh well I am sure your response will have some sort of attendance rip or information and that is understood. As I read in an email yesterday, the Cubs will yet again be raising their Attendance Champions Flag on opening day.

Oh well, just an inquiring mind.

I am probably going to be proved wrong, but I have a feeling that the Tribune Co. has now pushed things too far.

Cub fans are lemmings, etc., etc., etc., but $60 for a bleacher seat? They may not sell out, especially if they wind up having another <.500 season...again.>

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 08:59 AM)
I am probably going to be proved wrong, but I have a feeling that the Tribune Co. has now pushed things too far.

Cub fans are lemmings, etc., etc., etc., but $60 for a bleacher seat?  They may not sell out, especially if they wind up having another <.500 season...again.>

I wouldn't count on it. Cubs fans will fall for anything, for them to develop their own mind and stop buying the Cubs s*** product would go against everything they stand for.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 09:42 AM)
Im surprised they would cut off their fans from catching the HR's that leave the park... that was always one of the many trademarks of the park but they obviously dont care.... first were going to cutt off all the rooftop buildings now cutoff the fans...

The bleachers are noticeably taller now, regardless of what people say. I get the feeling when it's all said and done, you won't have nearly the open air, neighborhood feel inside Wrigley that you used to, but rather more of a cookie cutter, fishbowl look. Obviously, that doesn't change the fact Wrigley has beer, babes, and bars, but at the same time one of the dynamics inside the park that people loves is changed forever.

The Cubs will sell out again this year. There might be fewer people going by the end of the year, but all of the tickets will long since be sold, so it won't really matter. But I will say this, if the Sox go to the playoffs again, while the Cubs are playing golf, THEN you might see their attendance fall, to go along with an actual groundswell for change at Wrigley.