The Cubs scam their fans AGAIN

southsider2k5

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 10:50 AM)
If you see the team slip from the outset of the season this year.  I have a feelings there will be a sizeable dip in attendance.

oh definitely. I think most Cubs fans that I know are quite pissed at the franchise

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
The Cubs will sell out again this year.  There might be fewer people going by the end of the year, but all of the tickets will long since be sold, so it won't really matter.  But I will say this, if the Sox go to the playoffs again, while the Cubs are playing golf, THEN you might see their attendance fall, to go along with an actual groundswell for change at Wrigley.

Well said. You might see a lot of "no shows" as the season goes on, but in terms of tickets sold, they've all been gone for a while now. But yes, if the Cubs are bad again and we make another playoff run, 2007 could be interesting.

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 09:59 AM)
They may not sell out, especially if they wind up having another <.500 season...again.>

I agree. I predict that unless they are in contention for a playoff spot well into September, the Cubs will have a number of games late in the season not sell out. I can't say they'll necessarily draw less, because the extra capacity will give them a bump for the big games. But I'd bet there will be fewer season ticket holders this year, and their attendence percentage in August and September will be much less than last year (again, unless they are in contention).

Even Cubs fans has a breaking point. I know quite a few that are embarrassed by their team's management in recent years.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 07:55 AM)
The Cubs will sell out again this year.  There might be fewer people going by the end of the year, but all of the tickets will long since be sold, so it won't really matter.  But I will say this, if the Sox go to the playoffs again, while the Cubs are playing golf, THEN you might see their attendance fall, to go along with an actual groundswell for change at Wrigley.

Didn't you read the article? The Cubs have alread "Sold out". (Not talking about ticket sales)

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 09:05 AM)
LOL, this is classic.  Easily the best part is the "knothole."  This was a huge thing they put forth with the plans, how this was unique and bring the community together, now it just doesn't do what they said.

Personally, I think it's even better than that...it's not just like the construction went awry or something like that...but they're in fact going to actively shut the thing so that people can't see in. They're just laughing at those fans.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
Personally, I think it's even better than that...it's not just like the construction went awry or something like that...but they're in fact going to actively shut the thing so that people can't see in.  They're just laughing at those fans.

And the City of Chicago itself. Remember because of Wrigley's status they have to get special permission to make any structural changes to it. They lied not only to Cub fans, but the City officials themselves by leading them to believe this stuff wasn't exactly what it was cracked up to be. It will be interesting to see the grudge Daley and company hold NEXT time the Cubs want something.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 12:01 PM)
And the City of Chicago itself.  Remember because of Wrigley's status they have to get special permission to make any structural changes to it.  They lied not only to Cub fans, but the City officials themselves by leading them to believe this stuff wasn't exactly what it was cracked up to be.  It will be interesting to see the grudge Daley and company hold NEXT time the Cubs want something.

Hey, as long as they do the renovations in the middle of the night, it should be OK with Little King Richard.

...not sure if I mean the green....

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 08:59 AM)
  They may not sell out, especially if they wind up having another <.500 season...again.>

To be honest, I dont think they will sell out all of their games this season, just a huntch, but there is only so much entertainment baseball dollar to go around, and based on the offseason so far, the average baseball fan would much rather go see the defending world champions. Now I don't think we will beat the Cubs in attendence, and obviously that doesnt matter. I do think that the shift in attendence will be much greater than precieved to be. If the Sox start off strong again, you can forget about grabbing a ticket from late May on. I truly believe this is the way its going to be this year. The Sox don't have to prove anything anymore to get attention or fans. At the sametime, I know plenty of people that lost A LOT of money on Cubs tickets last year becuase there was no demand and people selling outside of Wrigley for $5.00 practically every game including against the Sox. I ended up eating a Cubs /Sox ticket last year for the Friday afternoon game, after waiting outside for an hour and the best offer I got was $3.00, I think the whole ticketweb scam and the general lack of interest of the Cubs during the offseason will start taking a negative effect.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
Why would you want to give your money to the Cubs in the first place?

I did a poor job of wording my previous message. I wouldn't give the Cubs a nickel actually that is too much!!

I worded messages wrong before but that one was the worst.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 12:09 PM)
God I love being a Sox fan.

^Yeah that^

One of my friends who is a Cubs fan had one comeback all winter to my "World Champs" and "Cubs screw their fans" arguments, and it was that the Cubs were giving their fans a free look at the game with the knothole. hahahaha Filthy scumbags.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 08:26 AM)
And the funny thing is the scalper is probably owned by the Cubs as well :bang

This is just too funny.

Can you imagine the uproar if the Sox ever pulled a stunt like this?  Jesus people were holding grudges from the white flag trade for years...

were?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 07:30 AM)
If people are buying tickets again, their grudge is pretty much hollow at this point...  And I have yet to hear ONE PERSON who said they aren't going to games still.

Bunch of lemmings. They know they are getting conned and ripped off to see an, at best, mediocre product and they still keep going. It reminds of the old movie "The Time Machine" when the sirens would go off and the people of the future would walk zombie-like to their deaths. Sox fans get pissed, and they let them know at the box office.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
Bunch of lemmings.  They know they are getting conned and ripped off to see an, at best, mediocre product and they still keep going.  It reminds of the old movie "The Time Machine" when the sirens would go off and the people of the future would walk zombie-like to their deaths.  Sox fans get pissed, and they let them know at the box office.

Cub fans are idiots, I think that is by definition. But we should consider this

Sox fans stay away when the product sucks

True Sox fans support the team through thick and then

Bandwagon jumpers only show up when the team is winning

:huh: :huh :lolhitting I am so confused

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
Cub fans are idiots, I think that is by definition. But we should consider this

Sox fans stay away when the product sucks

True Sox fans support the team through thick and then

Bandwagon jumpers only show up when the team is winning

:huh:  :huh  :lolhitting I am so confused

I think Sox fans do both. They stay away when the product sucks, but not totally. Instead of going to 5-10 games, they may go to 2, for example. They stick by them, root for them and watch on the tube. But, if they don't think the front office is trying to win, they keep their cash to themselves. See the Blackhawks for another example of this mindset.