Entwistle arrested for murder of wife/daughter

Steff

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11252372/

Briton arrested in deaths of wife, child

District attorney's office in Massachusetts announces break in case

Robert E Klein / AP

MSNBC staff and news service reports

Updated: 9:26 a.m. ET Feb. 9, 2006

BOSTON - Neil Entwistle, a British citizen whose American wife and infant daughter were found shot to death in their suburban Boston home, has been arrested in connection with their deaths, the Middlesex District Attorney’s office said Thursday.

Entwistle was arrested by British authorities and faces murder charges, said spokeswoman Emily LaGrassa.

“He is in police custody in England at this time,” LaGrassa said.

London’s Metropolitan Police said Entwistle was arrested on a provisional extradition warrant issued Wednesday evening. The British Home Office said he would be brought before a judge, but declined to say when that might occur.

Rachel Entwistle, 27, and 9-month-old Lillian, were found shot to death in a bed in their Hopkinton home on Jan. 22.

Questioned last month

Entwistle had recently returned to Britain, and did not attend a funeral service for his family on Feb. 1.

Rachel and Lillian Entwistle were memorialized in the same Roman Catholic church where the baby was baptized less than two months earlier. A single wooden casket contained the remains of both mother and daughter.

Massachusetts authorities flew to London late last month to interview Entwistle at the U.S. Embassy, but officials didn’t say whether he answered any questions. He had been labeled a “person of interest” at that point but not a suspect.

District Attorney Martha Coakley and Hopkinton Police Chief Thomas Irvin planed a news conference Thursday morning to discuss the arrest.

Police had searched the family’s home the day before the bodies were discovered, but did not see anything wrong, authorities said. Coakley has said that friends had showed up for a dinner party but no one answered the door, and that Rachel Entwistle’s mother called police when she couldn’t reach her daughter.

After a missing person’s report was filed, police visited the home again. During the search, they detected an odor and discovered the bodies in the bedroom. Coakley has said the bodies were covered by bedding and “almost not visible.”

Entwistle’s travel plans

The killings drew intense media interest both in Massachusetts, where the family lived, and Britain. There has also been much media speculation about possible events leading to the murders.

Neil Entwistle’s car was found at Logan International Airport near Boston and flight records show he bought a plane ticket to London 48 hours before the bodies of Rachel and Lillian were discovered.

Autopsy results showed both the mother and daughter had been shot to death with a small-caliber gun. The bodies were found under layers of blankets in a bed in their home, about 30 miles west of Boston.

The couple met while Rachel was studying abroad in England, and they had been married for three years. Neil Entwistle was looking for a job in the technology field; his wife was an unemployed teacher.

Entwistle and his family had lived in the United States for about 4 or 5 months and began renting their home on Jan. 12.

Relatives told investigators that the couple did not have a history of marital problems.

That was a beautiful little girl's life wasted by a senseless act. If the father indeed killed these two, he shouldnt be given the death penalty, he should be forced to perform Hari Kari on himself and die a slow death. How can you shoot a baby in the stomach?

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 08:39 AM)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11252372/

Autopsy results showed both the mother and daughter had been shot to death with a small-caliber gun. The bodies were found under layers of blankets in a bed in their home, about 30 miles west of Boston.

I just find that weird. Why is an autopsy needed?

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
I just find that weird. Why is an autopsy needed?

The bodies were discovered days after the murder (decomposing) and they needed the autopsy to determine cause and time.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
The bodies were discovered days after the murder (decomposing) and they needed the autopsy to determine cause and time.

O.K., that makes sense. The one article I read said that autopsy proved the mom died of a gun shot to the head. I just thought "ya know...I don't have a college degree, or a job in the field, but I bet I could figure that one out".

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
O.K., that makes sense. The one article I read said that autopsy proved the mom died of a gun shot to the head. I just thought "ya know...I don't have a college degree, or a job in the field, but I bet I could figure that one out".

LOL... one would think. Sounds like there was advanced decomp... Thank you CSI ;)