Good news for the Nat gas bill

southsider2k5

Natural Gas hits a one year lowm.

-- Natural-gas futures fell Thursday, sending the March contract to its lowest level in almost a year, with most traders convinced that U.S. inventories of the commodity will continue to run well above normal. March natural gas fell as low as $7.55 per million British thermal units, a level the contract hasn't seen since late February of last year. The contract was last down 12.5 cents, or 1.6%, at $7.61. An Energy Department update on natural-gas supplies will be released at 10:30 a.m., covering the week ended Feb. 3. Analysts at IFR Markets expect a decline of 50 billion cubic foot, well below the 158 BCF five-year average, they said. March crude was up 15 cents at $62.70 a barrel.

Peoples energy has to be one of the most crooked companies out there. My bill for last month =510 dollars. I called them and asked how could a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo with an efficient furnace use that much gas. They said they estimated my usage and that was the value they came up with. The lady on the phone told me there was nothing she could do. I then had no other course of action other than filing a BBB claim against them. Long story short, they came to my condo, read the meter, and my new bill is $108 for the month.

This is good news for my church. We were on the "budget plan" which in July, 2005 started to charge us $17,000/month for gas!!! Talk about crippling. Our only hope was for a mild winter so that we would get a rebate in July. We were told to pray for a mild winter. That was a lot of priests' prayers. Hope this keeps up.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 11:38 AM)
Peoples energy has to be one of the most crooked companies out there.  My bill for last month =510 dollars.  I called them and asked how could a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo with an efficient furnace use that much gas.  They said they estimated my usage and that was the value they came up with.  The lady on the phone told me there was nothing she could do.  I then had no other course of action other than filing a BBB claim against them.  Long story short, they came to my condo, read the meter, and my new bill is $108 for the month.

I refuse to sign up for that "budget plan" that the gas companies offer for this exact reason. They "estimate" your gas usage and charge accordingly. There is no way in hell I trust them to do this with scruples.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 10:53 AM)
I refuse to sign up for that "budget plan" that the gas companies offer for this exact reason.  They "estimate" your gas usage and charge accordingly.  There is no way in hell I trust them to do this with scruples.

Im not even on that. They were just estimating my usage so they didnt come and read the meter. I asked the lady, how could you charge me 500 dollars when my bill was truly about 100? She says to me "i guess we were off a little bit."

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
Im not even on that.  They were just estimating my usage so they didnt come and read the meter.  I asked the lady, how could you charge me 500 dollars when my bill was truly about 100?  She says to me "i guess we were off a little bit."

Call them back and tell them you'll estimate the usage the next few months. It's only fair.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
Call them back and tell them you'll estimate the usage the next few months.  It's only fair.

I'm guessing you meant this as a joke, but we had an issue earlier this year and they actually asked us to read our own meter and call them back. I was like.. "ummm.. ok".

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
I'm guessing you meant this as a joke, but we had an issue earlier this year and they actually asked us to read our own meter and call them back. I was like.. "ummm.. ok".

Of course, I meant that as a joke. But, I read my own electric meter for years. There was a spot on the bill to write your meter reading. They'd check it once a year or so to make sure you in the ballpark you should be, but there were times where I would fudge a little when I knew the next bill would be a little too steep. Of course, I always had to make up the difference in subsequent months.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
Of course, I meant that as a joke.  But, I read my own electric meter for years.  There was a spot on the bill to write your meter reading.  They'd check it once a year or so to make sure you in the ballpark you should be, but there were times where I would fudge a little when I knew the next bill would be a little too steep.  Of course, I always had to make up the difference in subsequent months.

Well.. when you live as far out there as you do they can only get someone in your neighborhood once a year. :P

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
Peoples energy has to be one of the most crooked companies out there.  My bill for last month =510 dollars.  I called them and asked how could a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo with an efficient furnace use that much gas.  They said they estimated my usage and that was the value they came up with.  The lady on the phone told me there was nothing she could do.  I then had no other course of action other than filing a BBB claim against them.  Long story short, they came to my condo, read the meter, and my new bill is $108 for the month.

wow. Thats pretty f***ed up.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
wow.  Thats pretty f***ed up.

No s***. With a pending suit against People's Energy for overbilling customers, you would think they would try and keep the overbilling to a minimum. Apparently that is not the case.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 11:53 AM)
No s***.  With a pending suit against People's Energy for overbilling customers, you would think they would try and keep the overbilling to a minimum.  Apparently that is not the case.

Well, my bill the other month was $456.00. Last month was $389.00. I have a two-story Georgian house with new windows installation. How do I know for sure that it was an actual read or estimated? Should I follow your path and report them to BBB?

QUOTE(S720 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 06:56 PM)
Well, my bill the other month was $456.00.  Last month was $389.00.  I have a two-story Georgian house with new windows installation.  How do I know for sure that it was an actual read or estimated?  Should I follow your path and report them to BBB?

The only way to tell for sure is to read your own meter. I'd do that if I were you for a month and see what the usage compares to what you were billed. It should give you cycle dates on your bill.

QUOTE(S720 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
Well, my bill the other month was $456.00.  Last month was $389.00.  I have a two-story Georgian house with new windows installation.  How do I know for sure that it was an actual read or estimated?  Should I follow your path and report them to BBB?

I have a tall 2-story victorian frame house, with no insulation on the exterior walls. Windows were upgraded, but they're crappy windows, and my gas bill was $250 each of the last 2 months. Unless you keep the heat at 75 all day and night, I'd ask some questions.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
The bill I got last month said I didn't owe them any money at all! I sent them a check anyway for the average amount of our bill so I don't get socked for double next month.

They're really horrible at that estimating thing...

For the record ... You don't owe me any money at all.