Cursive

DonkeyKongerko

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
This has come up in conversations with friends every so often and everyone seems to have the same experience.

-You spend forever learning it in grammar school. 

-They make you write in cursive until 8th grade.

-No one ever uses it in High school or above unless for a signature.

Though saying that, alot of my print has little forms of cursive in it.

Yeah me too. I print all the time, but my print has some cursive in it...I have bad penmanship either way though.

I print every single thing I do now. But in 3rd grade my teachers said if you didn't write in cursive you would get no credit for anything in High School. So I thought thats the way it would be in Jr. High, High School, etc.

Turns out after 3rd grade I never wrote cursive again and no one cared.

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)
This has come up in conversations with friends every so often and everyone seems to have the same experience.

Damn. Until 8th grade?

We were only forced until the end of elementary school.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
Damn.  Until 8th grade? 

We were only forced until the end of elementary school.

my elementary school was K-8, plus they were communists.

Apparently "in high school, your going to have 7 hours of homework a night."

Honestly, i think i had to work harder in 8th grade than i did any year of high school.

Now that's messed up.

I write mostly all in cursive. It is so much faster to write everything down. It has a nice flow to it. When I use print my wrist starts to hurt because I'm trying to write fast like I do in cursive. It amazes me how I'm basically the only person I know that writes in cursive.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)
For those of you with kids, do they even teach cursive any more?

My 8-year-old brother is going through that right now, and god is he horrible at it! Sure he’s just barely learning it but he is using cursive writing in every paper he has, whether it is school related or not. He’s not the only one with very bad cursive writing. There are grown people out there whose cursive writing is very hard to read it’s dire!

Edited by Yoda

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 04:03 PM)

Honestly, i think i had to work harder in 8th grade than i did any year of high school.

Now that's messed up.

By the time I was a senior I didn't even know what homework was.

Some of my friends had banker's hours where they only had to come to class between 9 and noon.

Now that's messed up.

Am I supposed to be working in High School?

Or is it just a great opportunity to free load off your parents and have unlimited abilities at substance abuse and play sports all the time?

:drink

On the topic of signatures mine is completely f***ing awful.

And it's even worse on those little electronic ones they have. When I signed for my license I didn't know they actually put it on there and it looks like a 4 year old wrote it with his off hand.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)
Mine changes basically every day.

Im completely and utterly forgable.

thats not good when you have kids.

I remember back in 6th grade again, if we missed a HW assignment, we would get this pink sheet for your parents to sign. My parents saw only half of them. And that was a lot too. I got about 1 every day. 6th grade sucked.

On the topic of cursive, in sixth grade, my friend wrote out my whole cursive book becasue i didn't do any of it, and it was due with the whole thing filled out. He didn't even want money. I gave him the book and he finished it for me.....what a dumbass.

I remember back in 6th grade again, if we missed a HW assignment, we would get this pink sheet for your parents to sign.  My parents saw only half of them.  And that was a lot too.  I got about 1 every day.  6th grade sucked.

On the topic of cursive, in sixth grade, my friend wrote out my whole cursive book becasue i didn't do any of it, and it was due with the whole thing filled out.  He didn't even want money.  I gave him the book and he finished it for me.....what a dumbass.

My kids can sign my signature for me... I'll teach em to do my taxes too.

If you dont think I have all this s*** figured out, youre so wrong dude.

QUOTE(Random @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 08:21 PM)

I remember back in 6th grade again, if we missed a HW assignment, we would get this pink sheet for your parents to sign.  My parents saw only half of them.  And that was a lot too.  I got about 1 every day.  6th grade sucked.

Reminds me of the old movie "Summer School" wear the teacher gives everyone a permission slip and tells them to have their parents sign it.

Everyone turns theirs in a few minutes later already signed. :D

I still use cursive all the time. I can simply write faster when I don't have to lift my pen from the paper. I don't have the neatest writing anymore, but when I write for someone else to see, I try to make it look good as well as legible. Anything I create - I take pride in. And yes, I was that one kid in every class who had perfect penmanship, the one the teacher would use as an example (didn't you all just hate that kid?). Anyway, I think good cursive is really more natural then any other type of writing. Its just that the style taught in school is awkward with a lot of non-flowing movements. It should really be just an extension of basic natural zigzag strokes.

If I haven't exhausted the topic by now, here is a site devoted to the idea:

http://briem.ismennt.is/4/4.1.1a/4.1.1.1.quick.htm

SFF

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)

I switched schools about two or three times when I was penmanship-learning age, so I learned print, two different methods of cursive writing--the Palmer method and some other which I preferred because I didn't like the extra loops and curls in the Palmer caps, and D'Nealian, which was a hybrid of cursive and print. Depending on what ADD medication I was taking or not taking was the difference between textbook beauty and utter chaos.

Now I print, usually in caps unless I am writing a URL or email address. Have for years. I officially abandoned cursive writing sometime in 9th or 10th grade, but up until then I used it at my fancy.

In junior high, I don't remember teachers caring how we wrote as long as it was legible, in ink (except math which was pencil) and some of them didn't allow spiral notebook tear-outs to be handed in.

I never ever use cursive, even when writing checks, because I only write one check a month. I pay the rest either online or with cash.

But not teaching when and when not to use caps? Proper names, beginning of sentences. Is that really all that difficult?

Edited by Drew

QUOTE(Drew @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 02:49 PM)
But not teaching when and when not to use caps? Proper names, beginning of sentences. Is that really all that difficult?

I've noticed the biggest problem with my kids is the spacing between words. They either put a huge amount of space and only fit like 5 or 6 words on a line or they try to squeeze the entire sentence onto one line.

One reason I love computers so much. You never have to worry about stuff like that and if you want to fix something at the beginning you don't have to erase everything.

Edited by Iwritecode