Bobby Jenks

Tannerfan

I watched parts of all four Series wins on DVD this past weekend. As I watched Jenks blow the save in game 2 and have a shaky outing in game 3, I started to think that in order for him to be a truly dominating closer (which I know he can be), he needs to develope a change up.

Because his fastball is unhittable as a high strike, it seemed that the Astros were starting to lay off of the pitch by the third game. It got me thinking that a great change when mixed with the curve and the high heat would put him in Rivera and Gagne territory. I'm curious to know what you guys think.

QUOTE(Tannerfan @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 06:58 PM)
I watched parts of all four Series wins on DVD this past weekend. As I watched Jenks blow the save in game 2 and have a shaky outing in game 3, I started to think that in order for him to be a truly dominating closer (which I know he can be), he needs to develope a change up.

Because his fastball is unhittable as a high strike, it seemed that the Astros were starting to lay off of the pitch by the third game. It got me thinking that a great change when mixed with the curve and the high heat would put him in Rivera and Gagne territory. I'm curious to know what you guys think.

It would be hard for him to develop a change since he throws the ball so darn hard. I mean his change would probably be around 88 which is basically asking the opposition to hit a homer off of you. If he were to develop any type of changeup, it would be a replica of Buehrle's "Claw" changeup.

I think he should just work on his slider more. Mix a 2 seamer/cutter right up at the batter's face and he'll be friggin untcouhable.

QUOTE(Tannerfan @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 06:58 PM)

I just want to see him throw his sick curveball more often. He would go away from it at times last year.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 07:04 PM)
I just want to see him throw his sick curveball more often.  He would go away from it at times last year.

Yep.

All he needs is more consistent control of his curve.

If he missed with it early, seemed like he abandoned it.

I don't really care if he throws a 59-footer once in a while - as long as he doesn't hang it, the curve keeps the hitter honest.

Bobby has a change he just doesn't use it much and he really doesn't need to. He doesn't need to mix that curve in more often to be fully effective. The one other thing he had problem with at the beginnign of his stint was getting the heater up. He did that a bit better in the playoffs but that's still something he has to work on.

Edited by Rowand44

Jenks curveball is practically a changeup anyways. With it's nearly 13 mph differential between the fastball there's really no need to attempt teaching a new pitch. Sure, it's more imposing not to anticipate simply a fastball and curveball, but he should first perfect the curveball (which

occasionally Jenks had problems throwing) before proceding any further.

If he were to develop a changeup, I would hope it's noticeably slower than his breaking ball. Like Gagne's--which occasionally fell below 70mph.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 08:25 PM)
Jenks curveball is practically a changeup anyways. With it's nearly 13 mph differential between the fastball there's really no need to attempt teaching a new pitch. Sure, it's more imposing not to anticipate simply a fastball and curveball, but he should first perfect the curveball (which

occasionally Jenks had problems throwing) before proceding any further.

If he were to develop a changeup, I would hope it's noticeably slower than his breaking ball. Like Gagne's--which occasionally fell below 70mph.

A 70mph change like Gagne's is exactly what I'd love to see. It seems the hitters with the game on the line in the 9th would be so off balance with a pitch like that after a 100mph fastball.

Bobby would own the league.

QUOTE(Tannerfan @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 07:30 PM)
A 70mph change like Gagne's is exactly what I'd love to see. It seems the hitters with the game on the line in the 9th would be so off balance with a pitch like that after a 100mph fastball.

If Bobby can consistantly get that big break on his yacker he'll own the league anyways.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 08:33 PM)
If Bobby can consistantly get that big break on his yacker he'll own the league anyways.

Because I have no knowledge about how to pitch, which is harder to learn, a wicked curve like you describe, or a change like Buehrle's?

QUOTE(Tannerfan @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 07:38 PM)
Because I have no knowledge about how to pitch, which is harder to learn, a wicked curve like you describe, or a change like Buehrle's?

I believe it really depends on your delivery. But then again, I never envisioned someone with an overhand delivery (such as McCarthy) throwing a changeup because I thought it would be too difficult to grip. I mean, look at Marte--could you expect someone with a three-quarters delivery to throw a good changeup?

From my own opinion, I'd have to say a changeup because you're suffocating the ball, opposed to placing two fingers in a spot and merely throwing. If you don't throw it correctly, it's a spicey meat-a-ball with limited movement. Atleast a hanging curve does something resembling a drop.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Tannerfan @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 07:38 PM)

Eh, it's going to depend on the guy. I would probably say all things considered a change would be harder to learn. To me, all Bobby needs is his fastball and curve to be absolutely dominate, I don't want him to try and learn another pitch before he harnasses his control with his two dominators. If he can consistantly get that nasty break on that curve and keep that fastball up, he's not going to be touched in this league.

I'm almost certain Bobby at least has both a changeup and a slider in his arsenal. Until last year he was a starter. The Sox have been trying to make him into a fastball/curveball pitcher IIRC, which if he's only pitching 1 inning and he has that fastball hitting 99-100 is not a bad idea IMO.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 07:52 PM)
I'm almost certain Bobby at least has both a changeup and a slider in his arsenal.  Until last year he was a starter.  The Sox have been trying to make him into a fastball/curveball pitcher IIRC, which if he's only pitching 1 inning and he has that fastball hitting 99-100 is not a bad idea IMO.

You're right. He has them he just doesn't use them.

QUOTE(Tannerfan @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 07:30 PM)

He has a change. Unfortunatley his change is just about what a fastball would be from some pitchers so it is easy for guys to be late on a swing and hit it. He is fine with what he has.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 08:09 PM)
Yep.

All he needs is more consistent control of his curve.

If he missed with it early, seemed like he abandoned it.

I don't really care if he throws a 59-footer once in a while - as long as he doesn't hang it, the curve keeps the hitter honest.

Exactly, if he doesn't feel confident in the curve, I'd like to see him throw it out of the zone, as long as it can't be hit, but just throw it. He HAS to come back with something this year.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 07:04 PM)
I just want to see him throw his sick curveball more often.  He would go away from it at times last year.

Yeah I have the same feelings last year in Bham he would get into trouble by going away from his curve. If he could get the hitters thinking curve then the battle was over. I go back to a classic battle with Delmon Young; Top 9th 2 Outs tying runs on base Jenks went

Curve (Called)

Curve (Called)

Then Jenks go up the ladder with a 99MPH and Young swings and misses to end the game.

Speaking of the "Big Boy", there is a really nice article on Jenks in the most recent Sports Weekly. He's actually on the cover (ahead of the Super Bowl recap). Apparently, they don't publish most of their stuff online, so I don't have a link or anything. You can probably pick it up at your local 7-11. Just a heads up.

As stated before, when Jenks came up I remember Hawk saying that he had 4 pitches: fastball, curve, slider, change. I thought that he stopped throwing slider and change because he stopped being a starter and became a closer so he just uses his two best pitches. I guess that means the others tend to hang.

For Jenks, even if he threw a change at 88, it would still be 10-12 mph slower than the fastball which makes it effective. 88 looks like 70 after the fastball. As long as the motion is good he could fool everyone.

Before improving on a change, he should be able to control the curve a little better. That's an incredible out pitch if he can use it right.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 02:03 AM)
Coop needs to start teaching that cutter with Bobby. But a change would also be good, and we saw the way B-Mac had developed with his during 2005.

The only thing that worries me about teaching him a cutter is the torque on his arm that already had a sttress fracture in it. The cutter would be a devistating pitch and all, but its a lot of stress on the arm. Even more than a curve at times.

If Bobby can throw his fastball in the strikezone and get his curveball in the strikezone he will be unhittable. Its hard to hit the 99 mph fastball and then sit back on the 12/6 curve. If he can get the fastball over for strike one and start to go up the ladder, that plus his curve will be a devastating combo. Closers dont need a s***load of pitches. They just need 2 that are nasty. If they throw strikes and get ahead its half the battle.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 06:46 PM)
The only thing that worries me about teaching him a cutter is the torque on his arm that already had a sttress fracture in it.  The cutter would be a devistating pitch and all, but its a lot of stress on the arm.  Even more than a curve at times.

If Bobby can throw his fastball in the strikezone and get his curveball in the strikezone he will be unhittable.  Its hard to hit the 99 mph fastball and then sit back on the 12/6 curve.  If he can get the fastball over for strike one and start to go up the ladder, that plus his curve will be a devastating combo.  Closers dont need a s***load of pitches.  They just need 2 that are nasty.  If they throw strikes and get ahead its half the battle.

I wholeheartedly agree....If in Spring Training Bobby learns to throw the curveball over for strikes instead of in the dirt, the battle's half won when he comes in the 9th....Throwing two curveballs for Strikes 1 & 2, then throwing a high heater = 100 He Gawns!

:bringit