Oprah to XM

tonyho7476

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 10:35 AM)
Everybody is laughing now....this won't be so funny in a decade when Oprah and Wal-Mart have TAKEN OVER THE WORLD.

*hides*

Oprah is a TV person...not radio. This won't be good radio. But plenty of women will be pulling at their husbands to hook them up.

Also, XM is still ahead of Sirius and continues to show a better outlook. This stays in line with my prediction of an eventual XM buyout of Sirius or just a flat out fall for Sirius due to the amount they overpaid for Stern...

Banc of America Securities analyst Jonathan Jacoby maintained a "buy" rating on XM Satellite Radio and continued to recommend XM over Sirius Satellite Radio ahead of fourth-quarter 2005 results.

"XM, in our opinion, is better positioned for the longer term due to OEM share, tech lead, and a more leverageable expense model," wrote the analyst in a research note Thursday. "We feel that the XM story offers investors potential upside from these levels."

The arrival of Howard Stern gave Sirius fourth-quarter 2005 and first-quarter 2006 subscriber momentum, but Jacoby says his channel checks indicate that Sirius' "Stern luster" is beginning to wear off.

"[We] feel management needs to give more transparency on churn expectations, capex plans, and true cost of Stern," said the analyst.

Jacoby expects XM to deliver a higher cash flow per user at maturity than Sirius, as the company isn't burdened by Sirius' programming and equity costs.

Sirius and XM have pre-announced fourth-quarter net subscriber additions of 1.143 million and 898,000, respectively, ending 2005 with 3.3 million and 5.9 million subscribers.

In its coverage of radio & TV broadcasting, Banc of America's top picks are Radio One and Univision Communications, both rated "buy" with respective price targets of $15 and $35. Its least favorites are Citadel Broadcasting and Sirius Satellite Radio, rated "neutral" and "sell," respectively, with price targets of $11 and $5.50.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 11:33 AM)
Also, XM is still ahead of Sirius and continues to show a better outlook.  This stays in line with my prediction of an eventual XM buyout of Sirius or just a flat out fall for Sirius due to the amount they overpaid for Stern...

Better programming will win out. Howard is the top radio draw in the country. The money they spent on him is to program 3 channels. He is still building the people on the channels. He is bringing on Scott Ferrell to be a sports guy, at night. As much as I don't know the guy, apparently he has had a lot of national exposure. Sirius recently signed on the Blue Collar Comedy Guys, which should be a good draw. And I'm sure has more guys coming along.

The music at this point is the same on each service. The premium s*** is what will matter.

Edited by tonyho7476

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 11:38 AM)
Better programming will win out.  Howard is the top radio draw in the country.  The money they spent on him is to program 3 channels.  He is still building the people on the channels.  He is bringing on Scott Ferrell to be a sports guy, at night.  As much as I don't know the guy, apparently he has had a lot of national exposure.  Sirius recently signed on the Blue Collar Comedy Guys, which should be a good draw.  And I'm sure has more guys coming along.

The music at this point is the same on each service.  The premium s*** is what will matter.

MLB = better than anything Sirius has.

And don't say the NFL is better, it's one day a week. I just shake my head at people who tell me they have Sirius because it has the NFL.

Baseball programming on XM is very good.

Also, Sirius will not generate enough revenue to justify what they are paying Stern. If he doesn't pan out exactly how they intend, they are in deep trouble.

They are also almost 3 million subscribers behind.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
Better programming will win out.  Howard is the top radio draw in the country.  The money they spent on him is to program 3 channels.  He is still building the people on the channels.  He is bringing on Scott Ferrell to be a sports guy, at night.  As much as I don't know the guy, apparently he has had a lot of national exposure.  Sirius recently signed on the Blue Collar Comedy Guys, which should be a good draw.  And I'm sure has more guys coming along.

The music at this point is the same on each service.  The premium s*** is what will matter.

Scott Ferrell is a clown.

He talks with this weird phony Wolfman Jack voice and he has sound effects of beer pouring and crap like that when guys call in. It's dopey, even by sports blabber's low standards.

Blue Collar Radio? UGH....

Aside from the obvious musical variety and amount, I still see no reason to buy satellite radio. I'll stick with my CDs and mp3s for now.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 11:45 AM)
MLB = better than anything Sirius has.

i don't have interest in any of the sports on XM or Sirius. Its not a draw for me. I watch 1 team...the Sox. And if I need to, I can listen on the radio. i don't see baseball as a big draw.

They're 3 million subscribers behind now. Sirius got a late start.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 12:26 PM)
i don't have interest in any of the sports on XM or Sirius.  Its not a draw for me.  I watch 1 team...the Sox.  And if I need to, I can listen on the radio.  i don't see baseball as a big draw.

They're 3 million subscribers behind now.  Sirius got a late start.

It's a draw for out of towners like myself.

And also, all of the misplaced (or bandwagon as I call them) Yankee, Cub and Red Sox fans everywhere.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 01:01 PM)
It's a draw for out of towners like myself.

And also, all of the misplaced (or bandwagon as I call them) Yankee, Cub and Red Sox fans everywhere.

But radio comes after TV. And with satellites and cable, most people can get the games they want. Stern is ONLY available on Sirius. So STERN outdraws anything on XM.